ASCII editor

Win Hill and Fred Bloggs, you guys seem to be using the same ASCII schematic editor, and it seems to do a nicer job than the one I've been using (AACircuit).

May I ask what it is you're using?

Thanks!

Reply to
Walter Harley

Windows Notepad. You know, the one in Start->Programs->Accessories->Notepad. Just make sure you set the Format->Font to Courier.

Reply to
slebetman

I edit the drawing in whatever usenet environment I'm in, or if it's sufficiently complicated, I use WinEdit or another programmer's editor, and copy/paste the result.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

ASCII me no questions and i will TeleType you no lies...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Correct. AACircuit beats the heck out of hand-editing in an insert-mode editor like Notepad. But the schematics it produces aren't quite as compact or graceful as the ones that Fred and Win make. The reason I'd presumed they were using the same editor was certain common elements: e.g., the first character of each line of art is a dot; resistors are shown simply as the value, with no box or squiggly line; and transistors are shown just as e/b/c or s/g/d. I guess that's just stylistic choice, combined with a non-schematic-aware text editor.

Reply to
Walter Harley

Thanks, Fred. I'll DL that and give it a spin.

Reply to
Walter Harley

That's so danged tedious, though. ;-) I think the OP was asking about something like Andy's ASCII-Circuits and that sort of thing. I've never used it, because I so seldom come up with a schematic worth posting [ ;-) ], but I hear it's the bee's knees. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I use Email Effects from Sig Software

.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Insert mode sucks, all decent editors have an over-write mode. One thing that distinguishes them is what happens to the cursor when you go to a new line. If it stays in place just below where it was, that's good.

I have to do that because my usenet posting agent removes any leading spaces. :-( Fred has adopted it lately, perhaps for the same reason.

That's my invention for clarity, but I haven't seen Fred use it much.

Correct, that's a draftsman's decision for a clean drawing.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I wrote an ASCII editor using Python a couple of years ago. I announced it on this newsgroup but there wasn't a lot of interest. You can find a copy (both source and execuitable) at

- just click on the filename. It may not work on an XP machine, however since I was using Win98 at the time. I've since graduated to XP and have also add a few features to the the program since then. If you are interested I'll update the copy on my ISP.

Reply to
garyr

Yes, please do!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Hmm, that's a new one. I see it costs $159, pretty steep. I usually use WinEdit, purchased from Wilson WindowWare, but I'm always looking for a better editor.

I'd like to find an editor that lets me insert working page-feed commands into html code. :-)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I used to have UltraEdit on my computer before I had to rebuild it when changing to WinXP. I had used UltraEdit on and off - there was some aspect that bothered me, but that was an old version. Maybe whatever bothered me can be changed in the preferences menu. I'll give it another try.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It's the "cat's ass"

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

UltraEdit does more things than I can fathom. Have you looked at it?

...Jim Thompson

"Winners never quit, quitters never win", Jack Bradley Budnik ~1956

I think the term is "cat's pajamas"...

Reply to
Robert Baer

So you use Kedit??

Reply to
Robert Baer

In ASCII, that's: ~*

Reply to
Walter Harley

I was recently intending to buy UE version 11, since I'm stiull using 7. However, got to the checkout page and they added on 17.5% VAT because I'm British! Screw that - I'm not paying UK tax to US companies.

I was told it is now standard for US companies to collect UK tax. If so - no more downloads from the US. I suspect the Korean EditPlus

will not be doing so (and its cheaper).

Apart from that, try Vim - it's free.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Nedit is neat with column cut-and-paste, working with selections and so on. And it is free. I have no idea how it compares, but

I just installed in on my Linux system and I think it is wonderful for schematics. Holding down ctrl while dragging selects a block of text. The 'paste column' command inserts the first line of this where the cursor is, the next line of the block in the line below, and so on.

And if insert mode is off it overwrites these lines or appends if desired.

This makes it easy to copy parts of an ascii schematic around.

There's a windows port as well, but it needs an X server. There are free X servers as well, but which one is good?

Thomas

Reply to
Zak