Editor?

What do all of you embedded systems guys use these days? Brief is no longer cutting it for me due to the fact it can't handle long pathnames or PATH environment variables under Windows, and I'd like something more modern with Brief emulation capabilities (pay or free - doesn't matter). Codewright was one of my favorites, but it's no longer being developed nor supported (and it's buggy, unfortunately).

Any ideas/thoughts/suggestions? Thank you!

-->Neil

Reply to
Neil Bradley

If you want the whole kit and caboodle with all bells and whistles (and some learning threshold), consider Emacs. There are versions for even Windowses.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Use vi, the one true editor... ;-)

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

LOL

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

LOL

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

For simple stuff I use Kedit or Kate.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

Kedit and/or Kate as a replacement for brief? LOL

Noel

Reply to
Noel Henson

I use XEmacs. I don't really like it, but it will be around forever, unlike Brief and Codewright, and dozens of other abandonwares.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

Well, I think Ian, Rich and Tauno have summed it up: favorite editors is _definitely_ a religious issue. I've used Codewrite up to v6, and have had people express satisfaction with Borlands v7 -- what's this about it not being maintained?

PS: I'm currently using Programmer's File Editor, not because I like it better, but because it's free.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I've been using UltraEdit and have been really happy with it. You can configure almost everything about it and it works with large files. supports all the usual syntax coloring and such (if you want it) and has been extremely reliable. You can try it for free and registering it costs $30US the last time I looked.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

I like Vim. It's free and flexible. I googled 'brief editor' and the first link was

which has a vim script that does 'Brief-like' binding and behavior.

Al

Reply to
Al Gosselin

Expensive but if you try the evaluation you will probably buy it anyway.

Reply to
nospam

Wil Taphoorn wrote 2001 "If you liked Brief (as I still do) you will love CRiSP, you can even keep your Brief macros." So look at

Links to more editors:

(might be outdated).

Didn't know this -

doesn't state this and CodeWright 7.5 is still offered for 299USD at shop.borland.com.

Oliver

--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)
Reply to

Before I became Linux-only, I used PFE for all coding. Before that I swore by CodeWright as well.

Noel

Reply to
Noel Henson

Ah. My current favorite for the last 7 years and my only code editor for that last 5. It is my favorite for extensibility.

is one small example.

Noel

Reply to
Noel Henson

As I said, for simple stuff, certainly.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

Just teasing. My opinion shouldn't count for much (on this subject) anyway. I'm a Vim user. :)

Noel

Reply to
Noel Henson

I like Ultradit. I switched from PFE some years ago, and Ultraedit has improved a lot since then. Despite the author's proselytizing (speaking of "religious" issues).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The column mode saves a huge amount of time when adjusting indenting. Highly recommended.

Reply to
Guy Macon

I second Rich, of course; but if you want something GUI and free, try Crimson Editor,

toby