3 Phase Stepper Motor Microstepping

Hi All,

A quick question regarding microstepping control of a 3 phase hybrid stepper motor (4 wire star wiring.)

A have a microstepping controller which produces 3 phases of 50/50 PWM, and I need to design an amplifier circuit.

What I'm thinking is that I need something like the following (per phase.)

+Vcc | | _|
Reply to
Jim Donaldson

Hi All, A question regarding microstepping control of a 3 phase hybrid stepper motor (4 wire star wiring.) A have a microstepping controller which produces 3 phases of 50/50 PWM, and I need to design an amplifier circuit. What I'm thinking is that I need something like the following (per phase.) +Vs _________ | R1 | __| | |__ | |________PHASE 1 WINDING __________ 0V | __| | |__ | | R2 -Vs ____|______

The above diagram is supposed to represent a half bridge, with two current sensing resistors (R1, R2.) The star point on the motor is connected to ground.

In this scheme we can split the PWM 50/50 into direction and magnitude signals. The direction signal (ANDed with the chopper controller) turns on either the top transistor, or the bottom transistor. The magnitude is used as a reference voltage input to the chopper.

My application is quite cost sensitive and I'm not sure how to do this cheaply. Additionally, I have two motors to drive, and not a lot of space on the board.

It looks like I need per motor...

3 half bridges with sense resisitors Level shifting on each of voltages comming from the resistors 3 chopper controllers (or do I need six?) A bit of logic (couple of and gates on the transistors) Mosfet drivers

What would be the best way to do this?

I'm not expecting a full solution but any ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

All the best,

Jim Donaldson

Reply to
Jim Donaldson