V4 vs. Stratix-II...

too.

Do you like Spice too? Try taking a routing path and re-spicing with

20% lower metal capacitance. Either your chips have no metal in them or you'll see an improvement in delay with low-k.

And yes, we have measured the difference in silicon. We fabbed Stratix in FSG and low-k; this was part of our qualification and testing of low-k. We didn't ever ship these low-k Stratix devices because we had sufficient yield into our fast devices. But we measured a performance advantage matching our expectations.

leakage

At worst we're talking about a 1W difference in 2S180-sized part, for worst-case leakage. How much dynamic power is being consumed in a chip that size? In the vast majority of applications it will be a fair bit

-- somewhere in the 5-10W vacinity wouldn't surprise me. Our dynamic power advantage on logic/routing, RAMs, DSPs, and especially I/Os will cover the difference in static power.

And where are those V4 worst-case leakage specs? It seems that you don't really have a handle on static power if a year after a product introduction you still don't know how bad it can be.

BTW, did you notice that the 2S60/LX60 devices used in your recent net seminar had the same static power (extrapolate from the dynamic power data)? And I love how you imply that our 2S90 chip you tested is out-of-spec on leakage, when in fact it falls between our "typical" and "worst-case" spec.

Regards,

Paul Leventis Altera Corp.

Reply to
Paul Leventis

Hmm.. Do these parts have different label codes, so users can readily identify which FAB they came from ? This could be an advantage to some, but to others it might mean having to double-up on the qualification work, or worse...

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim,

Yes, they are marked so they an be identified easily.

For qualification we advise customers to obtain parts from both fabs (ie request them) so they do not have to do qualification more than once.

Of course, customers are free to request parts from a single vendor, although that may subject them to supply issues if they are not planning far enough ahead.

Aust> Aust>

Reply to
Austin Lesea