problems with IOSTANDARD

Hi to all,

I'm trying to set the output voltage level of a Virtex 2 pro using the IOSTANDARD constraint, but it doesn't work.

More exactly, I'm using the XUP Virtex-II Pro Development System (an evaluation board) by Xilinx. For an application, I need the FPGA to output 3.3 V signals on the left low-speed expansion connector. I have tried to achieve this by placing the following lines in my UCF file (using one of the signals as an example):

NET "camera_sio_d" LOC = "U3"; NET "camera_sio_d" IOSTANDARD = LVTTL;

However, the FPGA outputs 2.5 V for digital 1 (0 V for digital 0), measured with no load on the signal. I have tried different values for IOSTANDARD as an experiment (LVTTL, LVCMOS33, LVCMOS15, and omitting the constaint altogether), but nothing happens - I still get 2.5 V. The scope is fast enough, and by tweaking the timing a bit I can say that these voltage levels are stable (no capacity being charged anymore). The voltage supply for the whole board also seems to be okay. Note that even LVCMOS15 (which should give me 1.5 V) doesn't work, so I don't think it's an electrical problem.

To avoid problems with banking rules for the pins, I have set all pins on the relevant bank to the levels described above. The implementation tools do complain if the IOSTANDARD of different pins on the same bank mismatch, so I think I'm not doing this anymore. To be sure, I have looked at the pad report, and also viewd the placed and routed configuration in the FPGA editor. Both tell me that the IOSTANDARD is indeed set to the value I want. Still I get 2.5 V when programming the real FPGA.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Martin Geisse

Reply to
Martin Geisse

Martin, You can only use certain I/O standards with specific Vccos. If you want to change voltage, you must change both the I/O standard and Vcco. Read the manual about the I/O banking rules. HTH, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

To expand a little, if you have an output buffer powered by 2.5 volts, how do you expect the FPGA to get up to 3.3V?

Reply to
John_H

What is the power supply to the Vccext on that bank? If it is 2.5 V, you can play with the IO spec all you want, there's no way it can produce

3.3 V. You may have to change a regulator, move jumpers, or whatever to get 3.3 V to that bank's power supply.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

There are quite a lot of manuals, and quite a lot of reading... sometimes even finding what you want in all the available literature is quite an achievement.

where would you suggest the reader should start for a good outline of the I/O banking rules?

I don't know if the OP wuold appreciate such a hint, but I confess I would.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Hi Brian, You're right, the Xilinx literature can be an insomniac's delight! In this case however, the data is right where you'd expect it. Get DS083, the VII-Pro datasheet, under functional description, FPGA, IOBs, there's a table called 'Supported Single-Ended I/O Standards.'. A little below that is a whole section called 'I/O Banking'. HTH, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Thanks to you and others for your quick reply. I think I understand now what confused me first, but it would be nice if you could tell me if I am right on this: If Vcco is connected to 2.5 V, is it then impossible to get down to 1.5 V output level by using LVCMOS15?

(I do not want to output 1.5 V in my final design. Using LVCMOS15 was an experiment to see whether I can alter the output level at all. Although I understand that I cannot produce any higher level than Vcco, my assumption was that producing a lower level is possible. Since the level did not change to 1.5, this experiment led me to the conclusion that Vcco is not the cause of the problem, and that something went wrong with the toolchain, but I'm no longer sure about this).

Thanks, Martin Geisse

Reply to
Martin Geisse

Martin Geisse schrieb:

the output level will match the actual VCCIO on that bank, no matter the IOSTANDARD setting.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Thanks! Glad it sometimes works... Actually I confess to having reached the download stage on DS083 several times on several different issues, and been told the file already exists... you'd think I'd learn!

Now if only the support database was searchable for INFO:XST:1943 and other obscure messages. Such as WARNING:Xst:638 and 1303, which translate to "KEEP attribute detected; deleting signal anyway" without giving a clue about the problem...

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Okay, thanks a lot for your help!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Geisse

Hi

Learning from the thread: "problems with IOSTANDARD", it shows that the IO-voltage must be changed in hw and can not be programmed via ucf files.

We have problems with IO on the XUP Board (UG069) trying to connect a cmos device which accepts 2 Volts input. When just looking at the tables of the Expansion Headers and the Digilent Expansion Connectors it states LVTTL (High in between 2.4 and 3.6 V) which should work with 2 Volts high input threshold of our cmos device. Measuring with a scope gives barly 2 V output on the Digilent Expansion Port. So to remedy this problem:

Are there any jumpers that allow clamping to an higher value on the XUP board?

What is the typical Pass Voltage of the IDTQS32861. It seems to me we have a type with 1.3 V drop.

Thanks ST

Reply to
S.T.