Problem programming Altera flex 10k100 & EPC2

I have a working prototype board from yesteryear with a Flex

10K100GC503-3 FPGA and an EPC2L120 configuration device on it. I realize these are geriatric parts by todays standards, but if I can get this board working, it will do what I need. Altera is no help - pointing out that the part was EOL'ed in 1993.

This board definitely worked when it was put into storage, though I used an older copy of MaxPlusII to program it at the time. I created the EDIF files then using Synplicity 7.2.3. At that time, I had no problem either programming the FPGA directly with the .sof or the EPC2 with the .pof. The JTAG chain is ridiculously simple, correctly pulled up / terminated, and on a quality 4-layer board. We followed the app note on adding a byteblaster port to a 'T'.

Now, for some reason, I am having intermittent problems programming both devices. I am on a newer class machine (Pentium 4 vs Pentium III), and I am attempting to use the free Quartus Webpack instead of MaxPlusII - which, while it has a "free" license, doesn't include Flex

10K support.

I can manually specify the correct part in the Quartus .qsf file, and the tool even correctly identifies the pins in the device settings. (note - you can get "indirect" support for a lot of older parts this way - Quartus just doesn't advertise them) Other than a slight problem using conf_done as a general purpose I/O pin, it seems to all be working. I have generated test applications that correctly exercise the LEDs, switches and GPIO.

The problem is that when I try to download the bitstream, the programmer gets between 50 and 79% done and errors out, reporting that device 1 (the FPGA) CONF_DONE pin did not go high. Sometimes, though, it will download correctly - and that is what is maddening. If it didn't work at all, I would understand. More interesting, once it DOES configure correctly once, it seems to work properly until I power down the board.

Likewise, the EPC2 works sometimes, and fails others. I believe the byteblaster is good, even if I did build it myself (I followed the Altera ByteBlasterMV schematic faithfully) so I'm not sure what could be causing this. Ironically, I did borrow a "real" ByteBlasterMV with the *worse* results.

I have checked all the wiring in my byteblaster box, and it checks out. The power supply voltages are spot on (5.04V for the FPGA, 3.34V for the I/O buffers). My byteblaster has an LED indicator that shows when the '244 is being driven, and I am definitely seeing activity.

Lastly, I have noticed that simple designs seem to download more reliably than larger designs. Not sure why, as the programming file should be of equal length either way (though there may be a lot of zero padding in the smaller files)

Is there something I need to adjust in my PC's BIOS, Quartus, elsewhere?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Reply to
radarman

Have you tried a scope on the clock/data lines?

Is this the same byteblaster you used back when it worked? A newer PC might be a bit faster or there might be just a bit more crosstalk on the cable or ...

Hal Murray

Unfortunately, the project that the board was originally used for has long since ended. The PC was leased, and has since been returned, and I have no idea where the byteblaster we used then went.

That does remind me, though - we originally had a Byteblaster II, not a Byteblaster MV. The original byteblaster used a slower '244 - LS family I think. That *shouldn't* be a problem, but I can try swapping the chip.

I will try looking at the signals on a scope. I'm kind of flying blind without a scope at home, but I can take it to work and check out the signals.

Reply to
radarman