Programming problem

Hi, I have been asked to program a batch of Motorola MC68HC908JK chips. I have a Dataman 48XP programmer and a floppy "Which contains the programme". The floppy has 12 files on it, all with the same name but different extensions. These are .abl .abs .ako .apt .ato .drl .drr .gbl .gbs .gko .gto and .txt. All are accepted by the 48XP as "binary files". The files vary in size from 686 bytes to105 K bytes. How do I select the correct file to use without programming 12 chips and trying them in the circuit? This is not a new product, the guy who usually programmes has left and I got the short straw. I was expecting to find a .hex file. Any help gratefully accepted. Dave.

Reply to
Dave Squibb

The ones beginning with g are probably gerber files (PCB related)

The ones beginning with d and t are probably CNC drill files (PCB related)

Not sure about the others, perhaps aperture files for each PCB layer. We have used RS274X for so long I've forgotten what the older stuff looks like.

Bottom line, I don't think there is any program file on there- that seems to be a set of PCB manufacturing (not design) files. Motorola sometimes uses a different extension from .hex for object files, BTW.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

If there is no hexadecimal file, it is probably a small binary file. My first guess would be .abs for absolute image. View the files and throw out any containing text that wouldn't be a text string in the program binary.

Thad

Reply to
Thad Smith

[...]

I'd have expected a .s19 file for a moto part.

Is the .txt file readable (ASCII)? What does it say? Any of the other files in ASCII? What do they look like? Each line of an Intel HEX file begins with a colon (":"). Each line of an S19 file begins with the letter 'S'. See if anything looks like that.

I have seen binary files with the .abs extension (for "absolute) before. That might be worth a try. But only if you can't find ASCII data.

Regards,

-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.
Reply to

Those look to me like Gerber photoplot files, and other files used in PCB manufacturing, probably produced by Protel. I would expect all of them to be ASCII text, except the .drl file. The .drr file will contain a report of hole sizes and quantities used on the board.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

"Dave Squibb" schreef in bericht news:412f4465$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

got

You are possibly the victum of a practical joke. These are all gerber files, for manufacturing the printed circuit board.

If nobody knows where the hex file is, do a search on *.hex on the entire companies server/network whatever. For starters ;-)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

got

Thanks for all the help Guys. Dave.

Reply to
Dave Squibb

have you tried reading a programmed Chip with the Dataman?

Reply to
Neil Kurzman

.txt.

got