Configuring Altera FLEX10KE using EPC2 device

Hello there

I'm having serious problems configuring my FPGA using EPC2. We have designed the circuit exactly as stated in the Altera datasheet and even played around with the pullups and buffering that's recommended. To be more specific, We have a board with a FLEX10KE (EPF10K200SBC356-1) and a EPC2LC20 for in-system configuration. We also have provided for direct Byteblaster configuration using a connector (using the same path towards the FPGA and selecting between them through enabling/disabling a buffer). Finally, we have a JTAG connector by which we can configure the FPGA directly using the SOF file generated by Quartus - pls read below. Anyway, what we're seeing is: The EPC2 gets progammed OK but then the problems start. When I turn the system off and on again to initiate configuration the nCONFIG pin comes out of reset and so does nSTATUS but only for a very small amount of time. During this time DCLK goes enabled and DATA transfers configuration data, as normally. Then nSTATUS goes low again and the configuration is interrupted as you would expect. There is nothing in the circuit that could pull this pin low - it is a point to point connection between FPGA and EPC2. It seems however that the EPC2 goes back on reset state hence pulling its OE pin low. From that point onwards these signals are going crazy, ie they randomly go high or low so the FPGA never gets configured. Tried using external pullups whilst disabling the internal ones through Quartus, but there was no change. One last point is that so far I've been configuring the FPGA through a direct JTAG connection using the SOF file - this works fine. Does this perhaps confuse the device, ie how does it know whether it should be programmed through JTAG or EPC2. Do I need to set something there? Finally, I'm using the POF file to program the EPC2 - I'm assuming this is correct?? Please give me some feedback because I'm really stuck with this. Any tips would be much welcome. Thanks in advance

Reply to
Dimitris Kontodimopoulos

is your setup able to program both, FPGA and EPC2 through JTAG ?

Yes, a pullup on TMS, TDI and a pulldown on TCK. AN116 shows all that nicely. Yes, SOF for the RAM, POF for the EEPROM parts. The pullup and pulldown make the control lines to have the right state such that the FPGA is loaded from the EPC2 at powerup.

Then the reportfile *.rpt gives an assumed pin useage, especially for those pin you did not use. I also recently learnt that there may not be any open inputs on certain families.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Hi Dimitris,

Generally, when nSTATUS goes low, it is because the FPGA has seen corrupted data. It knows this because each frame of data has a checksum, so if the frame is corrupted the computed and transmitted checksum don't match. The most common cause of corrupted data is double-clocking on DCLK. So the first thing I suggest is to monitor DCLK, as close as possible to the device. You are in a BGA, so the best would be to probe under the board. If you have noise on DCLK, this can show up as double clocking. Your buffer may have fast drivers, and that's not always good - an unterminated line driven by a fast-switching driver can exhibit ringing which will cause clocking problems.

Another possibility is that the connection through the buffer is causing a problem with the DCLK vs DATA timing. This is unlikely but possible - imagine that DCLK is shifted vs DATA, then the tSU and tH may not be met. So you can check that as well.

For the specific question about JTAG: you select which configuration mode you want by setting the MSEL pins. The JTAG config works for any valid combination of MSEL pins. When the FPGA sees the JTAG "config" instruction coming in on TDI and TCK it then starts to configure by JTAG. You probably have the MSEL pins set correctly since configuration begins correctly - but it's worth a check.

Altera has developed a Configuration Troubleshooter to help debug configuration issues. It's on

I encourage you to give it a try, as this can solve most configuration issues, and it's open 24/7!

Sincerely, Greg Steinke snipped-for-privacy@altera.com Altera Corporation

Reply to
Greg Steinke

HI there.

Did you look at power supply. During configuration the FPGA draws a lot of power ( can be > 500Ma!!). If PSU can not deliver this, you have aconfiguration problem.

success

ron proveniers

"Dimitris Kontodimopoulos" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to