Can IC`s which run hot last longer if heatsinks are glued onto IC`s when new ?

I found every hdd ( Seagate, Maxtor ) has at least 1 IC far hotter than other IC`s. I glue hsinks onto these hot IC`s, to cool them : 1 ata33 Seagate hdd already works noticeably faster, after I glue a hsink onto its hottest IC. In 12-03 I glued a hsink onto a nVidia nForce 2 south bridge ( hot ), its IDE controller then worked 5-8 % faster. Now I even fit hdd`s @ an angle ( 45 - 70° ) in casings so these hsinks can cool faster ; air heated by hsinks can flow upward faster. I suspect after IC`s are used for a few years, glueing hsinks will be too late to extend IC`s' lives ; last week 1 ata100 Maxtor hdd ( bought in 5-02 ) 's IC`s died right after I used Disk Checker to check all of hdd's 19Gb ( in 1 partition ), despite hsinks glued onto all the 3 hot IC`s. Can hot IC`s last longer, from this added cooling ( i.e. hsinks are fitted ) when IC`s are still new ?

Reply to
TE Chea

Neither a hard drive nor a synchronous clocked bridge chip will run any faster if you cool one chip. I just ain't happening.

IC failure rates double for about every 10 deg C increase in junction temperature, so heatsinking a chip can reduce its failure rate. But hard drives usually fail for mechanical reasons, and most chips are designed to last a long time as-sold. The people who design hard drives understand all this stuff.

John

Ofcourse! You can buy IC heatsinks, I myuself own a couple of 14 DIP Heat Sinks,

Reply to
Mr. J D

Do the words "Warranty Void" mean anything to you?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in news:J6jJg.23169$tP4.10733@clgrps12:

Yeah, but just TRY getting replacment under warranty. Depending on the company, it's not a fun (or anything short of unpleasant) experience.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

Most all drives now seem to come with a 5 year warranty.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You might be able to get the manufacturer to replace your failed drive, but you will never be able to get them to repair and return your broken drive, even if it needs noo more than a replacement electronics card. You will lose all of your data, even if the drive were repairable.. If there is some way to do it, it is better to keep the original drive working.

If you want to keep the drive and its components cool, you could add another fan and direct its flow toward the drive.

Reply to
jfeng

And the business of mounting the hard drive on an angle doesn't sound quite right. As John says, drives almost always fail for mechanical reasons, as long as the enclosure ventilation is keeping the case at a reasonable temp.

It's SOP to make sure rack-mount servers are mounted on the square to maximize reliability, AFAIK for the HD. I believe drive bearings work best when the drive is mounted either straight vertically or horizontally.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

That'd be my choice.

Managing the data seems to get harder and harder - tape is out for half terabyte storage system it seems.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Do they ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Use RAID mirroring if it bothers you.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Are IC`s always hottest @ their centres ?

| Neither a hard drive nor a synchronous clocked bridge chip will run | any faster if you cool one chip. s7 mboards' PipelineBurst sram too work faster with added cooling, very noticeable even without a benchmark. WinTune98 ram speed rose from 830 to 960 mb/s. After I added Arctic Silver 1 paste onto a K6III400 's die ( nothing else was changed ), this cpu was noticeably cooler & faster.

Reply to
TE Chea

How does a CPU run faster without changing the clocking ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

| How does a CPU run faster without changing the clocking ?

I never saw an explanation of this. What was weird was WinTune

98 & Sandra indicated little / no extra cpu speed. My guess is resistance drops with temperature ( electrons move faster ) : I believe if 1fits a peltier & water cooler to a cpu with A-Silver paste, 1 will see / feel an even bigger rise in speed @ the same clock speed. sdr sdram chips ( TSOP / BGA ) which run hot will also work noticeably faster @ same clock speed, if cooling is added.
Reply to
TE Chea

That's because there wasn't any. For any conventional CPU, it doesn't matter how quickly things get done within a given clock cycle - it will still take whatever number of clock cycles, at whatever the clock rate is, to complete a given instruction. The only way you can improve performance without increasing clock speed is if you make external things run more efficiently such that the processor isn't wasting clock cycles waiting for something external to get done. But if those "external things" are themselves clock dependent, well...

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Did this cooling merely enable use of a higher clock rate or use of smaller allowances for latencies and delays such as RAM latencies and delays?

Cooling an IC that was working successfully before will not significantly reduce its error rate that was already zero or close enough to zero for your machine to adequately work. But cooling may allow higher clock rates and smaller alowances for latencies/delays.

If cooling alone speeds something up, then you have one of two situations:

1) There is a significant error rate along with automatic error correction. If this is the case, you should notice a high inverse correlation of performance to room temperature. That means that the design is marginal, mounting is marginal, or allowances for latencies/delays is marginal (which I would count as marginal design) or the clock rate is marginal (which I would count as marginal design). And by marginal I mean "probably so bad as to be outright lousy".
  1. You have something automatically checking for how aggressively to set clock rate and/or allowances for latencies/delays.

I consider 1 to be more likely. If 2 is the case, I would be leery that whatever is automatically changing any clock rates or allowances for delays/latencies to be pushing very close to the limits.

Another consideration: Most computer usage is now done with all software and hardware working so fast that improvements are non-improvements. Notable exceptions are modems often being a limiting factor, hard drives being a limiting factor getting work done usually less than 1% of the time, and processing of software loops requiring a large number repeated operations (generally billions-plus given modern computer capabilities).

Don Klipstein

Are IC`s always hottest @ their centres ?

| Did this cooling merely enable use of a higher clock rate or use of | smaller allowances for latencies and delays such as RAM latencies and | delays? Nothing else was changed by me.

| 1) There is a significant error rate along with automatic error | correction. If this is the case, you should notice a high inverse | correlation of performance to room temperature No such correlation was noticeable.

| 2. You have something automatically checking for how aggressively to set | clock rate and/or allowances for latencies/delays. Do PLL IC`s ( e.g. ASD ae71c604-37 & Winbond w83194r-58 for SiS530 & VIA mvp3 ) or mboard chipsets do this ?

Reply to
TE Chea

Because there was no extra speed.

No, resistance increaes with temperature and It's nothing to do with 'electron speed' either.

No you won't.

You can 'clock' them faster and get waway with it perhaps, but they won't work any faster without changing that.

What you're seeing is your belief in an idea taking precedence over the reality. In short, you're 'kidding yourself'. The same kind of thing happens with those bogus high-price audio and video cables.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore