IC labelling, new style

A flyback controller IC, used with external MOSFETs and a flyback transformer for 12V to 450V, 20 watts.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

I did not view that. Why don't you use the \public directory ?

And in October they will not render to your browser.

Reply to
jurb6006

why not, they pretty much rule electronic manufacturing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Here's why not. Most Chinese IC manufacturers are eager to get sales beyond China. They can double or triple their market.

Most Chinese technical types can read English characters, so an English part number is not an inconvenience to them. But OTOH, most other Pacific-Rim , US and European, etc. technical types cannot read the Chinese characters.

Yes, many Chinese IC manufacturers keep their life simple with all Chinese-language websites and datasheets, etc., but we can translate and read them, and their parts often make their way into Western products. But we really do need to be able to read their part numbers, for many reasons, including inventory control, etc. That part number then becomes our entry into their website, to learn about the part, etc. And so far, the all-Chinese websites I've seen do use English part numbers.

In this case, there's no easy way to learn the manufacturer's name, or anything. OK, that's actually not true, I have plenty of Chinese friends, and can try that.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

back in the days when that "mu" greek character wasn't on most people's keyboards.

A few pioneers are now, I hear, using QR codes. Good luck trying to remember one of those without your cellphone as auxiliary brain... let alone, pronounce it.

There's no clean solution to the marking problem, IMHO. The tower of Babel has fallen.

Reply to
whit3rd

Rotating the image 90 degrees anti-clockwise will help. Using the rotated reference plane, the symbol at the lower left is "electricity".

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

THANK you VERY much! Interesting, very educational. Well done; Love the drawing intro.

Reply to
Robert Baer

A sign of the times, perhaps we should be able to read Chinese? At least there is only one written language.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

contoller_IC.jpg

Only one? Do you mean Simplified Chinese as written in China or Traditional Chinese as written in Taiwan?

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Y'er welcome. However, that was the sum total of my knowledge of Chinese. I was at a local Chinese restaurant yesterday and asked if they could help translate the symbols. The problem was that I forgot to bring a print. I'll try again in a few days.

Meanwhile, I wasted some time on this site: "Find Chinese characters online by drawing them with your mouse" Click on the "pen" symbol to the right side of the input box.

I managed to find all the symbols, but get nothing useful from the translation: Rotating the original photo -90 degrees, in the following order: 1 2 3 4 I get: better skill electrical goods

Something seems lost in the translation, so I'll give up now rather the demonstrate conclusively that I am clueless when it comes to translating Chinese into English.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

So, 'high tech electronics' is one possible translation.

A traveler in China once asked the name of a town, and the translator came up with 'place where the cow crosses the river'.

Some might call that a silly name, but it's also "Oxford".

Reply to
whit3rd

Yeah, that works. I was hoping for something like: "Do not copy" "Made in the year of the dog" "Greetings from Lin" "Kilroy was here" "Help. I'm trapped in an IC factory" "Just playing with the new laser toy" or something similar. The characters were obviously not a part number leaving little that could be worth laser marking. I suspected that it had to be something dumb, which is why I made the effort. The bad news is that if this is any indication of a trend, we're likely to see all the IC's in a product with identical markings. That's going to make reverse engineering, troubleshooting, and repair a big problem. The collapse of western civilization will surely follow.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

It's a low-cost 8-pin smps IC, and looks like a '3842 to 45 variant. With its transformer, makes a nice 450V capacitor charger. They claim 70W, but, nah. Only $14 on Amazon.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Here is a 20W version on Ebay. I have one, and it uses the same IC.

20W DC-DC Step Up Booster Power Supply Module 9V-24V 12V to 200-450V Adjustable for $11.18
--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.