Waiting, once again.

Government emergency services aren't going to help at all with that process either if even one person dies in a storm and the citizens and media go to the government and are like "Hey what were you doing?" "Oh we were also organizing an effort to move all the Toyota Corollas to safety" it's not going to look good.

They're going to say all non-essential vehicles that are not emergency vehicles or directly engaged in the evacuation of people need to stay off the road.

Reply to
bitrex

Yes, Mother Nature can beat up on itself, but hey, that's still an environmental disaster!! Anyway, categories 4 and 5 didn't used to be routine.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

o shelter in place.

mess.

You don't make appointments with the VA. They tell you when they have an op en appointment. All the VA facilities south of mine were closed yesterday. I have never seen a total power outage that large, in Florida. Irma snapped off a lot of older poles, and the utilities have been upgrading a lot of a reas with heavier and taller poles along with heavier cables. This gets the m above a lot of trees, which do most of the damage. the !@#$%^&* environme ntalists have managed to make it expensive and difficulty to remove trees, so the old Water Oaks fall over into poles because of a very shallow root s ystem. The state declared the main road past my subdivision a scenic route. That meant that it was illegal to trim the trees, and large dead branches would fall on cars. They had to undesignate the road, because it quickly be came unsafe to use it. When I first moved here 20 years ago the trees were so thick that you needed your headlights at noon, since no light penetrated the canopy. Each hurricane has killed more and more of the 100+ year old t rees.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael Terrell

e to shelter in place.

ng mess.

th of coastline from north Florida all the way to North Carolina. The coast al wetlands there are really low elevation and serve as habitat for million s of birds and other wildlife, with more than a few species already critica lly endangered. So it's looking like it will be another environmental disas ter.

Typical ignoramus response...hurricane damage would be less of a disaster i f wildlife populations were sustainably large. But many are not. Maybe ther e's something about endangered you don't understand. The dangerous populati on declines are almost all due to man made interference, things like habita t destruction, no end of toxins in the environment, massive coastal algae b looms due to agricultural runoff, and introduced species like this thing:

There's much more. Not to worry, what goes around comes around. Your kind is next.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Oh, BS. With most of these storms there are days of warning and still there are cars flooded all over the place. It's not the notice it's that people are stupid.

BS and double BS

It's mostly a problem of being really stupid.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

res

low

em

nd then

Oh please. All you have to do is drive your freaking car to high ground. How do you get to an organized effort to move Toyotas? Does it take a village now to move your freaking car?

Only if you're stupid and wait until the last minute. Right now the hurricane is forecasted to come ashore in SC on Thurs. If I had a car in an area where it's known to flood, I'd be planning right now, ie where can I move it to, when will I move it, etc. Plenty of videos of the smart, reasonable people preparing as hurricanes approach, everything from boarding up windows, to taking in furniture. It's the dopes that wind up with cars under water. And in many videos of the aftermath, you only had to move cars ten blocks! Imbeciles left them right at the beach block.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

That's obvious BS.

Look how many there were in the late 20s, early 30s, for example.

Same with Cat 4

Whoey Louie

The links you put up support my statement.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

But no different from what's been going on for thousands of years.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Not until humans invented catagories.

And now doppler radar and storm tracker planes can find the absolute peak wind speed that people used to miss. Category inflation.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Not the weather, the simulations of weather.

Tweaked in this case is about 90 degrees.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Perhaps you missed this part:

"It is likely that the increase in Atlantic tropical storm and hurricane frequency is primarily due to improved monitoring."

Reply to
Whoey Louie

I don't think native Americans had good measurement equipment and I'm not sure about their record keeping either. " used to" can be a long time, ie we don't know about the last 20 centuries and more. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Darn computer, is that tax sale over :-) That happen once since we discussed it. Letter S.

Reply to
amdx

All I can add is, we lost millions of trees down here in Panama city Fl. with Michael. The place just looked so different driving to places. There was a small wooded area maybe 300ft x 60ft stretching to 100ft in the rear of the woods, that was between my home and a car dealer. The hurricane destroyed most of it, and the dealer took advantage and cleared and filled it in making room for more cars. Still have both movie theaters closed and they don't expect to reopen the mall. Some of the business's on the outer rim are open, but that's it. It's not the same place. Still have about 6 homes that are gutted, two were removed and about 9 still have blue tarps on the roof. I was surprised how many people didn't carry house insurance. Glad this one missed us and my kids in Tampa. Some of the damage at my house,

We were lucky though, we could stay in our home, many could not! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

275 million registered passenger vehicles in the US and only 225 million registered drivers. Not all those registered drivers are actually able or available to drive a vehicle at any given time.

I'd ballpark in a densely-populated storm-threatened coastal area of a couple hundred miles there are optimistically 2.8 drivers available for every four registered vehicles sitting in parking lots and driveways. Optimistcally 20-25% are going to get left behind. 20-25% is plenty of cars in area that size to make a lot of dramatic pictures of parking lots filled with flooded-out cars.

Reply to
bitrex

to shelter in place.

g mess.

h of coastline from north Florida all the way to North Carolina. The coasta l wetlands there are really low elevation and serve as habitat for millions of birds and other wildlife, with more than a few species already critical ly endangered. So it's looking like it will be another environmental disast er.

Really? And you can imagine no difference between eastern coastal North Ame rica of today and the vast wilderness that existed 1000 years ago?

The bird populations of almost every species in NA are at 50% of 1970s numb ers. There are some species, especially in the Everglades, that are down to just a handful of mating pairs. Handful means less than a dozen. Storms li ke Dorian could be an extinction event for them.

You probably think the alley behind your house overgrown with weedy invasiv es is a wilderness...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

re to shelter in place.

ing mess.

wath of coastline from north Florida all the way to North Carolina. The coa stal wetlands there are really low elevation and serve as habitat for milli ons of birds and other wildlife, with more than a few species already criti cally endangered. So it's looking like it will be another environmental dis aster.

er.

er if wildlife populations were sustainably large. But many are not. Maybe there's something about endangered you don't understand. The dangerous popu lation declines are almost all due to man made interference, things like ha bitat destruction, no end of toxins in the environment, massive coastal alg ae blooms due to agricultural runoff, and introduced species like this thin g:

=0

b.jpg?dl=0

b.jpg?dl=0

You may be able to go to county and make him plant a tree buffer.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I could probably make a stink about the fact he filled in what might be considered a wetland, it wasn't huge but it did slow water runoff and did have standing water at times. Here's a picture of my back fence, the new ditch and parking lot. Before Michael, the woods filled out to where the truck is parked and up to the stump at the front. There was talk about a fence, but I haven't seen it after 10 months. But the dealership is still missing about 15

12ft by 15 ft bay doors. Neighbors down there keep complaining about the music from the garage disrupting their pleasure in the backyard. Oh well, That's minor compared to the two huge trees that were on their house. >

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

And you can't figure out how to have a family member, a neighbor, a friend, etc help you move a car a mile or in many of the stupid cases I've seen, just 8 blocks inland, to higher ground etc. They help you move yours, you help them move theirs. Geez

I suppose next you'll tell us that those dummies that drive their cars into flood waters, where they see the road is flooded, that couldn't be helped either. Just have to go, you know. Like that dopey mother that drowned her kid by driving into flood waters. They even had the road closed, baracaded and this was right after the hurricane had passed, there was severe flooding. I think they charged that dope with manslaughter. But if you kill you car, I guess everybody else that's responsible just pays for it.

Reply to
Whoey Louie