Waiting, once again.

Start with the fact that many hurricanes don't hit anything, others don't hit much of anything. Did we have aircraft flying into hurricanes to measure wind speed and pressure in 1900? Did we have accurate instrumentation on some barely inhabited island to accurately measure wind speeds at to determine if they were 130 or 150? Did we know that the hurricane that came ashore in FL in 1900 wasn't a cat 4 or 5 two days earlier? It could very well be recorded as only a cat 3, when today it would be recorded more accurately as a cat 4 or 5 where we're constantly tracking it.

only because we have better monitoring?

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Well, Obama as an insider clearly knows the score: sea levels are *not* rising. Wake up, bitchez.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

:

ote:

.

ane frequency is primarily due to improved monitoring."

the number of tropical storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic since the late

-1980s."

hat anthropogenic global warming has been accelerating over the past forty years.

ove the normal interglacial average temperature - comparable with the stati stical noise on the signal from the El Nino/La Nina alternation and the slo wer atlantic Multidecadal oscillation. Since then we've had another half de gree of anthropogenic global warming.

orm-records/

going on now.

That's not the point. The history they are concentrating on is the period w hen anthropogenic global warming was just getting under way. Half the warmi ng we are seeing now has happened since 1980.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Cursitor Doom isn't a stupid as Trader4 - who is - but he's quite as dedicated to believing his own brands of nonsense, and just as willing to believe that somebody who has better grasp of history than he has is just "making stuff up".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

re to shelter in place.

ing mess.

wath of coastline from north Florida all the way to North Carolina. The coa stal wetlands there are really low elevation and serve as habitat for milli ons of birds and other wildlife, with more than a few species already criti cally endangered. So it's looking like it will be another environmental dis aster.

Any biologist knows what a species is, but none of them have worked out how to formalise that definition yet.

It's rather like Godel's Theorems

You can set up any number of nice rigid system of rules, but reality doesn' t seem to feel obliged to conform to them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Curistor Doom hasn't been paying attention. John Larkin's daughter has been mentioned here from time to time. Motorcycles have also been known to come into it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Not at all. It says historical data doesn't sufficiently show a change, which is quite a different meaning.

Reply to
whit3rd

Sometimes I get the impression "Cursitor Doom" is a vehicle for some kind of long-term multi-user performance-art project.

Reply to
bitrex

It's a lot easier to say what something isn't than what something "is"

Reply to
bitrex

Perhaps I was unclear in my comment, what I meant to say was historical data doesn't show a difference when considered over the long term. You have to be willing to show empirical data over longer time frames to show or not that ones hypothesis that a warming wold has led to increased hurricane land falls.

Mind you I have had a wee bit of wine tonight (two glasses of a rather nice red while watching a couple of episodes of "The Scottish Detective" with my wife. Specifically "Hamish Mac....". According to our old Shakespearean (actor) family friends, one must not say the name of the Scottish Play, so I have expanded upon that to include the Scottish Detective...) so perhaps not am as clear as I would hope to be.

My point being that when you take a small sample size you can suggest results that cease to exist when you include the larger sample size. In this case the sample size is measured in years.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

I prefer my Russian troll hypothesis... someone would have to be paying him to be so consistently annoying.

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Nothing wrong with motorcycles (with proper training - much like pilots) or being proud of your offspring!

Bragging about your children is not so good though...you tend to get ignored.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

The one thing he's good at is trolling, presenting argments that sound credible if you don't think much about them. And I think he did a bit of electronics once.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm sure anybody who had studied Marxist dogma would find me seriously under-informed.

Cursitor Doom clearly hasn't - he believes that cultural Marxism is some kind of real movement, as opposed to an imaginary movement dreamed up by a bunch of right-wing lunatics to explain stuff they didn't like.

Only Cursitor Doom could make such an absurd claim. I probably know more about them than Cursitor Doom does (as will pretty much any educated adult), but I've certainly not put any time into studying them.

Cursitor Doom really doesn't know much about electronics either.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

NT is an expert at not thinking very much about the arguments he presents.

He feels hurt when anyone points out that he's peddling nonsense, but he's too dim and too vain to be willing or able to recognise that they are right.

NT's grasp of electronics is as weak as his grasp of the rest of reality.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

predictable trolling. replonk. Upset no, I don't need to waste my life on this messed up character. I think everyone knows that. Except Bill.

Reply to
tabbypurr

He should ask for more money

Reply to
bitrex

No, it was because we didn't always have satellites, and planes to fly out into the storms that no one knew were there.

Comparing barometric pressure of hurricanes making landfall might be a better comparison, if we assume the earlier hurricanes were as equally instrumented by diligent observers.

John Robertson's link has a good list--

Dorian's at 916mb right now over water, which is a heckuva blow if it holds up over land. But they almost never do.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

And thousands of always-on calibrated sensors, and doppler radar to spot the peak wind speeds anywhere.

Which of course they weren't.

--
John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
 Click to see the full signature

No, just 'adequately instrumented' is good enough. The diligence of past weather observers is NOT an assumption, it is knowledge. Knowledge doesn't fade when we forget its gatherers, nowadays; we publish the good stuff and keep archives.

Much of humanity is literate, and has been for longer than personal computers and the worldwide web.

Reply to
whit3rd