ChipScope problem: "Waiting for core to be armed".

Hi, All

The ChipScope gave me the message "Waiting for core to be armed" while the program can run on the board at the same time. I have a small test project which includes a MicroBlaze with a DCM, a RS232 interface and other necessary components. The DCM divides the input clock from

100MHz to 50Mhz. An application prints out something through the RS232 will be shown on the hyperterminal. It works fine on the board even after I insert the ILA core. But I just can't get any sample data.

It is said on Xilinx web that this is because of clock. So I tried to connect the chipscope clock to different place, DCM feedback clock, input clock after global buffer. And I also include a second DCM with the exactly same configuration with the first DCM because I saw on the group somebody pointed out that DCM can't be locked when connected to both user logic and chipscope. I used the second DCM just for the Chipscope. I can't connect the the sys_clk_pin to the chipscope clock input direclty otherwise Xilinx will give me error because it is connected directly to non-global buffer logic in the ILA core.

Can somebody give me any hint? I think my clock should works fine because I can see messages print out at hyperterminal.

Thanks a lot, Rebecca.

Reply to
Rebecca

It probably has to do with your choice of trigger condition. Does anything happen when you click on Trigger Now button?

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

That was the button with the exclamation mark, right?

Did you use Chipscope inserter to instantiate the core or did you do it manually through HDL? The reason I am asking is because it is much easier to connect something wrong if you do it yourself...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Hard to see in the editor. But I noticed when I load the input netlist file which is targeting on virtex5, the inserter didn't recongnized it and I have to changed it manually from virtex4 to virtex5. If I don't change this setting, it can still generated the .ngo file. Is there any problem?

Reply to
Rebecca

Then it does sound like a clock problem... Open the design in the FPGA editor and see if the clock really makes it to the core...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

I had this problem using the USB cable and having the JTAG clock set too high. Try using a lower JTAG clock setting...

Rob

Reply to
Rob Dimond

Which version of the tools are you using? There are a few answer records on Xilinx site covering problems in using ChipScope with Virtex 5, e.g. the following for 8.2:

and this for 9.1:

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Thank you for all your reply.

I saw on the document to use

bitgen -w -g USerID: -g StartupClk:JTAGClk my_design my_design

What I used is bitgen -w -f bitgen.ut system

I also changed the JTAG clock as 200Khz in the ChipScope setting, with or without -g StartupClk:JTAGClk, but all are same: "waiting for core to be armed".

Here are the commands I used after inserted the ILA core. system.ngo is generated by chipscope.

ngdbuild -p xc5vlx50ff676-1 -nt timestamp -bm system.bmm system.ngo -uc system.ucf system.ngd

map -o system_map.ncd -w -pr b system.ngd system.pcf

par -w -ol std system_map.ncd system.ncd system.pcf

trce -e 3 -xml system.twx system.ncd system.pcf

bitgen -w -f bitgen.ut system

Anything wrong here?

Reply to
Rebecca