Waiting, once again.

Waiting to see what path Dorian will take.

Waiting for the county to decide if we have to evacuate, or if we are to shelter in place.

Waiting for yet another extended Power failure.

It figures that I will have a doctor's appointment during the upcoming mess.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Bummer. I see the landfall has been delayed from Monday to Wednesday early AM. So for some it may be business as usual on Monday. Oh, wait, Monday is a holiday. And evacuation Tuesday morning.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I can no longer drive long distances, so all I can do is wait to see if the open the Special Needs shelters. At least there aren't many kids there. It is intended for the disabled and those who need daily medical care.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Before we had ships with radio transmitters, and cars and paved highways, there was no way for people to know that a hurricane was coming in, and no way to get out of its path. The great Galveston storm of 1900 was a surprise, with no way to escape, about the last big one to arrive unexpected.

Unfortunately, even tracking a storm by satellite and radar is still not highly predictive of its strength or path.

Reply to
jlarkin

he open the Special Needs shelters. At least there aren't many kids there. It is intended for the disabled and those who need daily medical care.

Is it that you can't be in a car for long distances, or that you can't driv e yourself? I haven't been keeping up with this storm, but I know I would do what it takes to get out if the storm was expected to be serious. Not m any die in such storms, but it happens and a lot more so when the forecasts get worse shortly before the storm arrives. Even if you don't die, the we ek or few after a storm are not pleasant.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

the open the Special Needs shelters. At least there aren't many kids there . It is intended for the disabled and those who need daily medical care.

ive yourself? I haven't been keeping up with this storm, but I know I woul d do what it takes to get out if the storm was expected to be serious. Not many die in such storms, but it happens and a lot more so when the forecas ts get worse shortly before the storm arrives. Even if you don't die, the week or few after a storm are not pleasant.

I can only ride or drive about 50 miles at a time due to the damage to my l egs. There isn't enough leg room in any vehicle I've tried, for me to sit v ery long without getting severe cramps. At least at home, I can stick a fir m cushion on my desk to prop up my legs for a while to reduce the swelling.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

if the open the Special Needs shelters. At least there aren't many kids the re. It is intended for the disabled and those who need daily medical care.

drive yourself? I haven't been keeping up with this storm, but I know I wo uld do what it takes to get out if the storm was expected to be serious. N ot many die in such storms, but it happens and a lot more so when the forec asts get worse shortly before the storm arrives. Even if you don't die, th e week or few after a storm are not pleasant.

legs. There isn't enough leg room in any vehicle I've tried, for me to sit very long without getting severe cramps. At least at home, I can stick a f irm cushion on my desk to prop up my legs for a while to reduce the swellin g.

You would have liked my Pontiac woodie. The drivers seat back had cracked so I took it out and moved the passenger seat over. The passenger side rea r seat has about six foot of leg room, lol!

A van with middle seat removed might do the job.

Sometimes when I hear about others' health problems I feel very lucky. Sor ry for your problems.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

legs.

Could it be the front of the seat ? When I was sick certain cars bothered m y lags. Seems to me the front of the seat was too high. Had the same proble m when I was riding in the truck with the Hillbilly, I cannot have my legs dangling or anywhere near it. That is because they do not tolerate the pres sure well in the back. Fifty nine and on the decline.

Reply to
jurb6006

Almost a guarantee it will happen, and in the following order: doctor's appointment made, 100+ mile radius total power out, total shutdown of roads, doctor's appointment, door found closed and bolted.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Stay safe.

Reply to
speff

It might not make land in Florida.

It's fun to watch the computer track projections. They are all new every day.

(I'll regrain from commenting on computer climate projections.)

When I was a teenager, Betsy was scooting West towards Texas, and a famous pompous NOLA weatherman assured us it would miss us. Then it did a 90 degree turn to the north, and the eye passed over us late in the night.

Reply to
jlarkin

John Larkin can't get it into his head that weather projections and climate projections work differently.

When John Larkin was a teenager, the weathermen didn't have satellite images to work with. They help.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

shelter in place.

ess.

It's not going to make landfall there. But it is threatening a huge swath o f coastline from north Florida all the way to North Carolina. The coastal w etlands there are really low elevation and serve as habitat for millions of birds and other wildlife, with more than a few species already critically endangered. So it's looking like it will be another environmental disaster.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

This one destroyed my grand parent's summer cottage on Mattapoisett, there was only maybe three days warning.

Reply to
bitrex

That's not true, certainly not in terms of giving lots of notice to save lives. The accuracy from about 2 days out has been very good. And for sure even before that, they have the likely places it could hit identified. The problem today isn't the forecasting, it's people choosing to disregard them or less frequently stupid officials not having proper plans, not issuing the right directives as the hurricane approaches.

It's interesting in so many of these hurricanes or other heavy rains that were correctly forecasted, how afterwards there are endless pictures of cars that are covered with water. Obviously they were left in low lying areas, near the beach, etc. How hard is it to just move them to an area that isn't prone to flooding? Totally stupid. And then other people wind up paying for a lot of them through insurance. IMO, insurance companies should just deny most of those claims.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

IDK what projections you're looking at, but the many hurricane forecasts that I've followed, they get tweaked, but they are definitely not all new every day. And they always provide plenty of notice to people that get affected by them. It is the weather, you know.

Wasn't that back when they used telegraph?

Reply to
Whoey Louie

to shelter in place.

mess.

of coastline from north Florida all the way to North Carolina. The coastal wetlands there are really low elevation and serve as habitat for millions of birds and other wildlife, with more than a few species already criticall y endangered. So it's looking like it will be another environmental disaste r.

ROFL

Now even a routine hurricane is supposed to be an environmental disaster. Hurricanes are part of the environment.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

There are too many cars to move them all out of an area on relatively short notice. Even if the roads could support the amount of traffic there are more cars than able-bodied adults available at any given time to drive them all out.

I don't think it's a matter of desire nobody wants their car to be flooded out I don't suppose. but it's a resource/logistical problem that can't be solved either by government or citizens operating in coordination, on short notice, effectively.

Reply to
bitrex

:
:

e if the open the Special Needs shelters. At least there aren't many kids t here. It is intended for the disabled and those who need daily medical care .

t drive yourself? I haven't been keeping up with this storm, but I know I would do what it takes to get out if the storm was expected to be serious. Not many die in such storms, but it happens and a lot more so when the for ecasts get worse shortly before the storm arrives. Even if you don't die, the week or few after a storm are not pleasant.

my legs. There isn't enough leg room in any vehicle I've tried, for me to s it very long without getting severe cramps. At least at home, I can stick a firm cushion on my desk to prop up my legs for a while to reduce the swell ing.

d so I took it out and moved the passenger seat over. The passenger side r ear seat has about six foot of leg room, lol!

orry for your problems.

My first car was a '63 Pontiac Catalina convertible. It had plenty of leg r oom, unlike today's vehicles. I currently have two trucks. A 1997 Dodge Dak ota that has slowly become uncomfortable to drive, and a 2016 Dodge Grand C aravan with the electrically adjustable front seats. It was the most comfor table vehicle the I could find, since my swollen legs won't bend very much.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

my legs.

my lags. Seems to me the front of the seat was too high. Had the same prob lem when I was riding in the truck with the Hillbilly, I cannot have my leg s dangling or anywhere near it. That is because they do not tolerate the pr essure well in the back. Fifty nine and on the decline.

The seat is adjustable in height and position.

Reply to
Michael Terrell