Waiting, once again.

Atlantic Hurricane Numbers By Year: 1851-2017 Scroll to the bottom of the list. Sure looks like a general increase in the number of "names storms" and "hurricanes" since 1995, but not so much for "major hurricanes".

Named Storms = Tropical Storms, Hurricanes and Subtropical Storms Hurricanes = Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale 1 to 5 Major Hurricanes = Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale 3, 4, or 5

May the source be with you.

The data source is mentioned at the bottom of the page, but I couldn't find the document mentioned. I could convert the data to a graph for those reader anticipating a "dog leg".

As usual, there might be a conspiracy theory involved in the alleged increasing severity of hurricanes. There seems to be a connection between the storm category number and the availability of federal aid and assistance. Bigger numbers seem to get more which makes it beneficial to escalate the category numbers (number creep): Hurricane Maria was only a Cat 4, so Puerto Rico is complaining that aid was inadequate and slow. Next disaster, they'll go for a Cat 5 and maybe they'll get more and quicker aid.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

What about homes built on thick beds of sand / gravel? Some are on hills of the stuff, can they have a basement?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Yes, but I haven't seen many homes with basements, and they were all on hil ls. Florida is fairly flat, so most homes sit on barely enough dirt to inst all a septic tank. There is actually decent soil in this area, but my first home was surrounded by Sugar sand, with a very thin, hard layer on top. Yo u could drive on it, with no problems, but if you spun your tires it would break through and from that point on, you could get stuck in the very fine sand.

There are large horse farms near here, along with the Ocala National Forest . Silver Springs is less than 20 miles away. If you've ever watched the ear ly Tarzan movies, they were filmed in that state park. The park has a large Artesian well that feeds the area with water from the Aquifer. There is a large pool of crystal clear water where they had glass bottom boats, and wh ere they shot the underwater scenes . They had quite a few wild animals the re, at one time but some of the monkeys escaped. They were terrorizing down town Ocala, and breeding like crazy. It got so bad that they had to hire pr ofessional hunters to kill off the ones they couldn't trap. It wasn't safe to be outside, unless you didn't mind angry monkeys throwing crap at you. T hey had to close outdoor restaurants, because the monkeys would steal or co ntaminate people's food.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Most of us are aware how messed up NT is. He's welcome to waste his life any way he likes, and peddling fatuous opinions on an unmoderated user-group is his choice. Not a good one.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

This is the kind of thing they do down there:

Then the inhabitants have been disposing of trash and hazmat into sinkholes for ages. The sinkhole contamination goes right into the aquifers.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

equally (instrumented by diligent observers), not (equally instrumented) + (equally diligent).

I just meant that America was sparsely populated, e.g. Florida. Early landfalls might've gone completely unnoticed, or at least without any barometer-jockeys close at hand, racing to measure the eye.

I don't think they worried about these things as much back then.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

And who exactly is Stormfax.com? They have no contact info, no names associated with them, no list of source documents, no list of contributors. All their registration info is behind a privacy shield.

I could go on, but why would you consider them to be a reliable source?

At least Wikipedia gives you the names of the people who edit the articles there.

Sorry Jeff, I don't consider Stormfax to be a valid source. They could be shills for anyone...

Now you can get a copy of A Christmas Story from them:

Not sure what else is hidden there - let's see...

Drought page - which you can't get to via their menu either:

Thanksgiving origins:

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

Winfield Hill wrote in news:qkjusp02ol3 @drn.newsguy.com:

Not many hills, but the few there are could support 'basements'.

Most of the state sits on sand and water is what you hit when you dig.

I wonder how Arabia and the Chinese are building entire Islands using sand. How could they be stable? Are they putting polymers in the sand? Making a 'concrete' as it were?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Florida sits on a dissolving honeycomb of limestone.

Just, *WOW* !

Reply to
Banders

The issue is the definition of "species." The people who are in the endangered-species industry need to identify as many small populations of endangered species as possible. It's good for business, so they do.

Reply to
jlarkin

It made sense because it defined a coherent population that could and did inter-breed. A local variety or cluster would continuosly blend into the main population. The extinction of a small sub-group was no important genetic loss. Except to those in the extinction industry.

Of course there can be corner cases, but cats don't breed with turtles.

Reply to
jlarkin

."

There is always a point in the evolution of new species where its a small s ubgroup. If John Larkin had been wandering around Africa a hundred thousand years ago, he's have been happy to see our ancestors wiped out, and would have seen it as "no important genetic loss".

Considering the way he thinks - or fails to think - it might have involved genes that he hasn't happened to have inherited, so it could well have been no loss to him at all.

I rest my case.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

es."

ce-

im).

been mentioned here from time to time. Motorcycles have also been known to come into it.

Biologists - like a lot of other groups - divide into "splitters" and "lump ers".

There's more involved in that than the short-term interests of people who h appen to find the species that they are studying has become endangered.

Commercial interests are always frustrated when an area they want to exploi t contains a rare species which their exploitation might wipe out. They hav e the kind of money that can buy a campaign to present the guardians of tha t rare species as bleeding-heart liberals.

John Larkin is a gullible twit, always ready to fall for that kind of campa ign.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

So how did you get on ?

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Total BS. Motorcycles are extremely dangerous as are small aircraft and non-professional pilots.

"The NHTSA reports that 13 cars out of every 100,000 are involved in a fatal accident, but motorcycles have a fatality rate of 72 per 100,000."

'For every mile traveled, motorcyclists have a risk of a fatal accident that is 35 times higher than a car driver."

I drove nothing other than a motorcycle for some years. It was hugely educational in that you learned serious defensive driving skills or you died. Even then I came close to dying a number of times.

Aren't we all limited to what is "possible"? Would you expect them to try to minimize the number of endangered species populations and allow them to become extinct?

--
  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

He also fails to understand the actions of biologists are also good for the endangered species.

--
  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

So far, it has just been heavy bands of rain, but the high winds are still a little to the south of me. The county didn't open any shelters.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Ahh well, you might get lucky!!

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

If only. Instead you endlessly treat us to your pathologic views of people you neither know nor understand. All we hear is your highly insecure ego, which personally interests me not one iota, and I suspect the same may be true of everyone here.

As has been said many times, come back with some electronics, if you can.

Reply to
tabbypurr

e you neither know nor understand.

Sadly, you are a lot more transparent than you imagine.

That proposition would come as a surprise to my friends and colleagues. NT does need to invent stuff to make himself feel better, and some of inventio ns are remarkably silly.

true of everyone here.

If your disinterest manifested itself in a period or silence and withdrawal I'm sure we'd all be very grateful.

That's John Larkin's mantra. Unlike him, I've got a couple of patents and a couple of published papers.

Sloman A.W., Buggs P., Molloy J., and Stewart D. ?A microcontroller

-based driver to stabilise the temperature of an optical stage to 1mK in th e range 4C to 38C, using a Peltier heat pump and a thermistor sensor? ? Measurement Science and Technology, 7 1653-64 (1996)

This was stuff that got published - it wasn't done to get published, and th ere's a lot more stuff that didn't get written up.

I do post stuff about electronics quite frequently, and NT either doesn't g et to see any of it or can't make any sense of what he does see.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to