Touchstone Semi?

They also have some nice gate driver chips at low prices. TC4427 and its brethren.

Not really. There will almost always be a need for a single-source parts here and there. But one should try to minimize the number of such chips. Because the chance of a purchsing nightmare go up dramatically if you had 100 single-source parts in there versus only 5.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It does for me.

Well, I like to have the price in 500-1000 milliseconds :-)

Yeah, on consumer designs I don't use their chips either (yet). But there I often don't use any PWM chip and instead roll my own. Because almost anything beyond the MC34063/TL494/UC3843 class is expensive.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You and Slowman are a pair, anymore. It really does show how far down the Alzheimer's slope you've gone.

BTW, you're absolutely wrong (no surprises).

Reply to
krw

thoroughly

if

Once again, proving what a useless old has-been hen you really are. ...and what a SLowman clone you've become. Sad.

Oh, I'm *SO* scared! You really are some putz, Thompson.

Reply to
krw

You must be a Democrat.... you seem to think a lie, repeated enough times, makes truth ?

I've never before seen such phenomenal ignorance displayed so arrogantly.

You'll pay >:-} ...Jim Thompson

thoroughly

if

find

not

What till I catch up to you. I'll YouTube your bawling. ...Jim Thompson

For onesie, twosie. That's hardly useful. Every supplier custom quotes parts to us. Their prices are only a function of how badly they want *that* business. Price lists are useless. Anything from a third party is laughable.

If it's can't be used, what good is it? No wonder you have so many "phuts". You can't wait for the right answer. ;-)

You can't save money by using many parts where one will do. Integration *saves* money.

Reply to
krw

--
Well, now that how power steering works has been explained to you, you
claim you knew how it worked all along.

It's just another day...
Reply to
John Fields

TI has been known to stop making parts because they don't think that they a re making enough money out of them. None of us buys us enough parts to keep a fab line running profitably, so we prefer manufacturers who keep on maki ng old parts in small volumes, even if they charge the earth for them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

We've still got quite a way to before we are as dim as you are.

krw keeps on telling us this. Maybe he even believes that it's true - he wouldn't know any better.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

know

In your ever-so-authoritative opinion. Even the most ancient has-been trump s the never-was.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I don't agree. Every time there has been a parts disaster, well, it was just that; Thailand floods, various earthquakes, etc. One single-sourced part is enough to stop production. More just delays redesign a little. There are so many single-sourced parts, required because of what they are, a few more don't matter. In fact, our resistors aren't even multiple-sourced. If I design in a Panasonic resistor (because that's what DigiKey carries) it is there for the life of the program.

Reply to
krw

They don't do it as a matter of course? "There goes old obsolete-parts ... won't buy anything he can't understand".

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Once again, proving how wrong you almost always are, AlmostAlwaysWrong.

My God! Did the mirror break?

You'll have to find your teeth first, old man.

Reply to
krw

You're lying, again, but we knew that because you were typing.

Reply to
krw

the

course,

thoroughly

if

find

expensive

the

not

know

I bet your wife hid your teeth. It all makes sense now, old man.

Reply to
krw

[...]

It does make a major difference. If one of your 0402 resistors is on backorder the folks from purchasing ask you whether a Yageo would be ok as well. You check the datasheet, sign the ECO or deviation, and that's it.

If, however, half a dozen boutique ICs from one manufacturer become unobtanium because some union has called a strike or whatever, that can quickly turn into an "Oh s..t!" situation. I've had a situation where a company we all know was unable to deliver production quantities for three different ICs on a board. Wasn't my design (I never use their products) but I became the guy having to design them all out. This kind of work generates part of my income so no complaints but this caused major grief for the client because of the subsequent production delay.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I found that the prices eyeballed via Findchips are a good indicator. My clients will negotiate that down a bit if large volume production but in the end I am usually fairly close in my BOM total.

Waiting for a price quote during a design? No, I normally cannot do that unless it is a big heavy-hitter part.

Au contraire. It has saved a lot for my clients. Stuffing costs per part are rather low when assembly is in China. But the main advantage is that it causes many of my design to be in production almost forever. I have design from the early 90's that are still coming off the conveyor belts as originally designed.

Sometimes this requires going to non-trimmed resistors (10% and 20%) where it's not critical.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Production control is better than that, and I have no control over the process. It just doesn't happen (short of the above disasters).

The same problem exists with so many parts, another just doesn't matter. There is no such thing as a multiple-sourced part here.

Reply to
krw

Once again, you demonstrate how wrong you are.

wouldn't know any better.

You four belong together.

Reply to
krw