PowerPC somehow unstable at 300 MHz

Hi ...

I've got a Virtex2P-30 (sg6) and I'm trying to use one of the PowerPC-cores at 300 MHz (in a system much like xapp640). The Processor runs at 300 MHz, PLB 100 MHz, OPB 50 MHz, our clock source is a low-jitter 100 MHz oscillator.

Sometimes the system behaves wierd and it all looks like the processor crashes. Running the system at only 200 MHz (instead of 300) seems to solve all those problems ...

but is this really the solution? or is the problem just hidden?

what am I doing wrong? I think 300 MHz is still within the specs .. are there any issues at that speed? is the DCM placement critical at 300 MHz?

The system is built with EDK/ISE 6.3 and our DCM has DLL_FREQUENCY_MODE = "LOW" and DFS_FREQUENCY_MODE = "HIGH" and meets all the constraints.

thanks for any hints ...

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl

Hi Michael, How about your PCB layout? Or your PDS? Got enough juice and decoupling caps? HTH,Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Hello Michael,

Are you generating the clock with a DCM? I had a problem with a V4FX and EDK/ISE 8.1 that sounds related to yours.

The timing analyzer will propagate your jitter constraints through a DCM, but does not account for the jitter introduced by the DCM, which at 300 MHz is not trivial. I worked around the issue by increasing the jitter spec on my clock, so that after it had been propagated through the DCM it accounted for both the jitter of my clock, and the jitter introduced by the DCM.

Regards,

John McCaskill

Reply to
John McCaskill

I don't know much about PPC's, but here's some thoughts on DCM problems:

Assuming you've covered all the basics ( clean power, same bank SSO OK, proper DCM constraints and attributes, static timing met, appropriate DCM resets and DCM-in-lock- with-CLKFX-working status bit monitoring logic, DCM startup works in simulation, FPGA not overheating )

Q1) What is the DCM topology used to generate all of those related clocks? ( any DCM cascade, which DCM outputs in use, etc)

Q2) How are you loading your bitstream onto the FPGA? ( JTAG / PROM / other )

Q3) What are the topside markings on your V2Pro ?

Q4) How many parts/boards exhibit this problem ?

Have you looked at:

- V2Pro errata for your chip version/stepping

- Answer Record 13756 basic DCM care and feeding

- Answer Records 14425,19005 proper DCM startup and reset

- Answer Record 10972 other DCM status bits to monitor

- XAPP685 "Duty Cycle Distortion" correction macro for V2Pro DCM's + corner DCM's have problems in some parts

- Answer Record 15130 magic bitgen "Centered_x#y#" option setting for DCM zeroes phase shift delay tap setting

- Answer Record 20585 certain small integer CLKFX ratios don't work magic bitgen "PLcentered_x#y#" option zeroes clkfx setting

- Answer Record 11778 DCM startup issues with JTAG download

post listing other DCM quirks:

Other suggestions:

- Is the DCM locked to a specific location near both the clock input and BUFG? Often the tools will do a horrible automatic placement, routing the DCM nets up and down the chip spine instead of placing such that direct connects can be used.

- If you suspect a high frequency duty cycle problem, in addition to the bitgen "center" options, also try changing the DCMs' DESKEW_ADJUST to SOURCE_SYNCHRONOUS ( which disables the DCM feedback delay line )

- Monitor the internal clock by using a DDR output FF, forwarding the clock ( Answer Record 12406 ) through a terminated LVDS output buffer appropriately probed by a high BW scope.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Davis

The regualtors are PTH05000 (6 Amps) and they deliver the correct voltage (they are not yet at the limit)

I was pretty confident about the layout but the ripple on my supply voltages is +- 100mV (on 2.5V and 1.5V) ... I guess that might be too much for 300 MHz operation?

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl

wow - that is a pretty long list - thanks! I'm pretty sure we didn't looked at all of that I'll let you know when I find out ...

A1) the topology is simply a 100MHz LVDS-oscillator feeding one DCM for 50/100/300

A2) I'm loading with JTAG or cclk - same problem

A3) the markings on my V2P are hidden under a heat sink (I'll check if there is one board without it)

A4) we did some tests on 4 boards - all of them show the same problem

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl

all the beginner's problems ... with a differential probe the ripple is just +-20 mV

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl

We checked a lot of docs and learned a lot about DCMs ... but it turned out that the PPC was and is working fine!

The problem was with the timing of our the flash chip and some rounding in the wait routine. This caused setup/hold to be around the limit of "somehow working" and sometimes failing at 300 MHz :-/

again - thanks for the good ressource list ...

bye, Michael

Reply to
Michael Schöberl