Toshiba presents first methanol mp3 players, 35 and 60 hours on a refill

I read in sci.electronics.design that The Ghost In The Machine wrote (in ) about 'Toshiba presents first methanol mp3 players, 35 and 60 hours on a refill', on Sun, 2 Oct

2005:

You can get it in other ways, too, if you happen to have the wrong skin chemistry. The term is often applied to intensive and widespread itching, of the back and arms. Can even be incapacitating until it wears off.

John Woodgate

Moonshine was made from grains, just like commercial boozes are, but with poorer quality control.

When I was at NIST, during lunch one day a fellow student from Ukraine told us a news story from home. Burglar had been breaking into people's homes. One homeowner filled an empty vodka bottle with methanol and left it in the kitchen, easily available. The burglars broke into his house and drank the methanol, and one or both of them died. The homeowner was charged with premeditated murder.

--
"Never argue with a fool.  They will drag you down to their level and win
by experience."

This might be historical, but fighters in Thailand would sometimes eat a type of mushroom that made their skin itch, so it felt good to get hit. And they'd be hitting themselves before a match, and didn't mind being hit during the match.

--
"I fart for joy and I laugh more than if I had cast my old age, as a
serpent does its skin." -- Aristophanes, Peace, 421 BC

So, the moral to this story would be, if you're going to booby-trap your home, you should use some kind of live-trap? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

I even heard a story, some years ago - you may have heard of the infamous New York Garbage Strike, where garbage and trash were piling up on the streets and so on - - some guy allegedly took the household trash each day, put it in a box, wrapped it in wrapping paper, with a little bow, drove to work, and left his box of garbage on the front seat of his car, with the window open.

Sure enough, each and every day, somebody stole his garbage!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

[Hansen]
[hanson] Sure moonshine was MADE from grains, but some shiners SOLD moonshine spiked with Methanol, if not outright pure MeOH after they discovered (as I stated earlier) that it is cheaper to dry-distill wood chips (wood- pyrolysis) to get MeOH and sell it as EtOH... or to retain, collect and sell the first 5-10% of the fermented grain distillate that is rich in MeOH. -- To boot, not only back then did this unsavory practice go on but it happens even today, every day, as was reported in
which states: " Methanol, a toxic solvent, has the same properties as ethyl alcohol and is much cheaper. In 2004, the police also registered 34,014 cases of illegal sale and manufacture of hooch all over the State of Maharashtra complaining that 'These illicit dens add methanol to the hooch which claimed 91 lives and seriously affected over 200 people in Vikhroli' ".... So, what's ~300 victims out of 35'000 MeOH-boozers... that's far below the 50% I earlier mentioned... ahahaha...

In Pharmacol Toxicol 1987 Mar;60(3):217-20, Jones AW.... it says: "... the elimination half-life of methanol in *human volunteers*... during the morning after the subjects had consumed wine with 100 mg/l methanol the previous evening. The washout of methanol from the body coincided with the onset of hangover."..... AHAHAHA... volunteers!... ahahaha....

There is entire hour TV program devoted to this, on one of the Learning Channels. Cute side details about MeOH are also in the CACHED text of

and then of course there is the grand history for all forms and stages of green/enviro-paranoia about MeOH in

MeOH use for/in Fuel cells is not new neither. Germany's weeklong Hannover Fair in April 2002, reported in

that "Dozens of companies are developing direct-methanol and other types of fuel cells for handheld devices, such as Polyfuel, Smart Fuel Cells, Samsung, Toshiba and Casio"....

[Hansen]
[ Rich]
[hanson] No, no! Don't do that these days. There are many cases where the homeowner got into deep legal shit because his dog had mauled the burglar(s). Even obvious deterrents like barbed wire are problematic. After our Precious Metal Div. got burglarized, (which was surrounded by barbed wire) we intended to install razor wire. The City's safety folks objected because elsewhere in town a burglar who got cut by the razors while "on the job" did cost them $500'000 in legal fees & compensation to the burglar turned victim... The city denied our permit application... The goon got more money from/via his lawyer then he could have from stealing and fencing... ahahaha... Hey, crime pays! ... AHHAHA... ahahaha.. ahahanson
Reply to
hanson

100 mg/l? There you go. They probably got about 10 mg of methanol and 1,000 mg of ethanol. The dose makes a difference. Just because someone can survive drinking 10 mg of methanol doesn't mean he could survive drinking a pint of it.

I can understand the decision of the Ukrainian court-- the homeowner booby-trapped his bottle with intent to kill. It wasn't an accident, it wasn't like he'd kept the methanol-filled bottle downstairs next to the paint thinner.

But come on... there comes a point where the judge should just declare razor wire to be one of the hazards of the job, that it's very easy to not get cut by it if you'd just not try to break into places with metal ribbons on the top of the fence, now get your sorry ass out of my courtroom and get a job.

--
Irony: "Small businesses want relief from the flood of spam clogging their
in-boxes, but they fear a proposed national \'Do Not Spam\' registry will

On a sunny day (Mon, 03 Oct 2005 21:38:42 GMT) it happened "hanson" wrote in

Long time ago I this happened in a big service department for AV equipment: The guys could not repair some video recoder one day. One person joked: 'Why not put it in the window, maybe somebody will steal it.' It was put in the window, and stolen, the customer got a new one, insurance must have payed, the burglar 4 sure never had a picture.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

lannybudd

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:50:14 -0700, lannybudd wrote: ...

Well, I _did_ say, "allegedly". :-)

OK, how about the one where a couple of women go into some upscale tavern and start stripping on the tables, doing some girl-girl sex show, or whatever. When they finished their dance, and everybody bought them a drink the bartender noticed that somebody had cleaned out the register while everybody was watching the girls. Actually, my memory was jogged by the naked dice gal story.

But could it be true? The way I heard this one, it was presented as credibly as the garbage gift story. Anybody got actual facts? (actually, I tried to search snopes for this one, and didn't really come up with much of anything.)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise