.dat to .bit

Hi all, I have this xess board which has a tool to initialise an SDRAM with data. I have 16-bit numbers that I want to load into the SDRAM. The tool needs .hex/.mcs format and I read that I need the promgen to convert from .bit to .hex.

My question is how to convert from this .dat file (which is my input data file) to the .bit file. Does anyone know of such an utility? Otherwise can someone explain wat the .bit file contains?

Thanks

Reply to
Subhasri krishnan

David Brooks

PROMGEN is only used to convert Xilinx bitstreams into a .hex/.mcs format that can be loaded into a flash device. Since you have data (and not a bitstream), it would take less effort to convert it directly to .hex/.mcs rather than trying to convert it to the .bit format and then use PROMGEN. Here is the spec for the .hex/.mcs file format:

If your data file is "large" (i.e. more than 64K), then you will have to insert page address records into the .hex/.mcs file since its standard data record is limited to a 16-bit address. It may be easier to convert your data to the .xes format that is also supported by the GXSLOAD/XSLOAD tool. Here is a description of the .xes format:

The .xes file formats are simple. Each line is a data record. Each data record is structured as follows:

- An initial letter indicates the length of the starting address for the data: '-' indicates a 16-bit address is used '=' indicates a 24-bit address is used '+' indicates a 32-bit address is used

- Next, a two-digit hexadecimal number indicates the number of bytes in the data record, N.

- Next, the starting address for the data is given as a 16, 24 or

32-bit hexadecimal number.

- The remainder of the record is composed of N two-digit hexadecimal numbers for the data.

- There is no checksum.

Here are some example data records in the XES-16, XES-24 and XES-32 file formats:

- 10 0000 83 2C 4F 88 F2 2B B3 39 7E 1F 15 63 46 5E FB 89 = 10 000010 C4 A5 C4 C7 D2 26 A0 50 58 EA 85 66 9B C9 EE DE

  • 10 00000020 DD AC C2 94 63 5B 33 D3 6A 76 FA 20 36 F5 BC 68
Reply to
devb

On a sunny day (22 Oct 2005 03:16:49 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@xess.com wrote in :

- An initial letter indicates the length of the starting address for

So, in that format the '-' '=' and '+' prefixes are redundant, as leading zeros in the address show how many bits the address space is. Clever format! _________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 140,000 groups Unlimited download

to open account

Reply to
Jan Panteltje