Re: Wireless Power Nearly There

Pretty much all of our EE exams were open book. Some profs didn't allow notes, or one sheet[*], but any published book could be used. As you note, if you didn't know the material all the books in the world wouldn't help.

[*] It's amazing what some could cram on one sheet, but they seemed to learn by doing it. ;-)

Isn't the simulator the sanity check?

--
Keith
Reply to

I liked algebra, geometry, and trig but got to hate calc. The first semester was fine, but then it got to be a real drag. I wished they would have taught us to use integration tables. They're far more useful than integrating by parts.

--
Keith
Reply to

I thought Jim was the only one into drag, around here?

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

JMF had to have an odd amount of a certain kind of drug to counteract the chemo he would have the next day. The pharmacist had to calculate a ratio so that the drug could be dispensed in the prescribed dosage. This was done with a calculator which produced an incorrect answer. The pharmacist's instinct indicated that it was the wrong answer and did the calculations a second and a third time, still using the calculator. As a result of not being able to do a simple algebraic ratio, JMF got an overdose.

All kinds of professions do ratios. Every time I bake, I do ratios because I usually reduce the amounts.

Then you should hope that your drug dispensers never have to change the drug amounts for your prescriptions.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

JFFO.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

This isn't a local problem. I've found many science books written by Asimov that have been discarded by public libraries. After all, he was only a scifi writer who didn't do fantasies.

Just a note. It is a fact that females and males are different. I've found that females prefer algebras over geometries. I think that's hardware.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Honey, I was being civil.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

I think my seed was optimized for a max input below 100e6 or something. It was tweaked for the application. I'd better warn R.

John

"Doing ratios" is not algebra. It's just grinding out a simple algorithm, by rote, like following the instructions on your tax forms.

John

I suspect it may break when y > 200*2*65535 ~ 26e+6

Regards, Martin Brown

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Martin Brown

Right. The 200 seed was used in an RMS calculation where the input is limited. If you test the MS word for nonzero, and use 16 or 4096, it looks pretty good from 1 to 2e9. This is an RMS voltage calculation, so I don't mind a small error.

John

The very act of writing it down enhances memory retention because of the additional neural paths involved.

For example, I'm very bad at remembering names. I get introduced to somebody, I'll have forgotten their name in minutes; I have to ask them over and over until I get it through my headbone.

But when I write it down, I remember it - I seldom even need to check my note. (maybe because I can then remember seeing it written down.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

My brush with both physics and a basic electronics course were in high school.

I had a brush once, and a dust pan. I couldn't find how to start the engine on either one.

Reply to
Androcles

So. Get a pole long enough (8 ft?), put a ring on the bottom that goes around the flag pole, another high enough up to hold the lift pole vertical and stable enough, but low enough that the garbage can, already upside down on the top of the lift pole, will be above the top of the flag pole when you run the whole mess up to the top. Probably need one to three co-conspirators to move it in place with guy ropes. Then lower the lift pole...

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

It is taught in high school algebra. Dimensional analysis, which is something the cranks here do not comprehend, is also using the algebraic skills taught in the first algebra course.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Lose the ladder. The local saw shop constantly lectures people to not drop limbs over their heads. It's tempting to do that because the least strain on the arms and hands is when cutting directly overhead.

One common method is to start the cut and when you hear the initial crack of the limb breaking, drop the saw, and run for your life. Those that don't run fast enough, end up in the emergency room. The problem with the ladder is that you can't run away fast enough. There's also a good chance that the limb will miss you, and hit the ladder instead. With sufficient bad luck, you and the ladder fall over. I've done that to myself exactly once. I survived but the ladder looked like a pretzel.

I have a Remington electric pole saw with about a 10ft extension handle. I don't think it's safe to extend it any more than 10ft as it's too difficult to balance. I also borrow a much lighter electric trim saw on a pole, which I think can probably make it to 15ft, but no further. I can rest the saw on the uncut limb, but when it breaks off, I lose control of the pole and the saw.

Remember, you have but one life to give to your garden.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Sounds reasonable ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.

I don't cut overhead.

...Jim Thompson

                          Common Values
                          Common Purpose
                         Common Buzzwords
                         Common Ignorance

jmfbahciv wrote in news:HNidnTGOGbSJfCrVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

[snip]

It might be time to move to Australia... :p

There are general differences, but there is no such thing as an absolute. THat's shown in everything from genetics (it isn't merely XX or XY, there is also XXY, XYY, and otehr multiples), to body morphology, to studies of brain function and morphology. The best one can do is cite statistics. Yes,

*statistically*, one can throw around the "men are from Mars and women are from Venus" thing, but it's not an absolut, it is ot true in each and every individual case. To state an absolute is like saying that "the vast majority of people have an IQ betwen 80 and 120, therefore, nobody can have an IQ over 120 or under 80". Biology simply is not as black-OR-white as human like to try to make it be.
Reply to
Kris Krieger