Re: was Re: Wireless Power Nearly There

Semi-retire, at least to me, means working less than 40hr work week or perhaps a "simple" (perhaps show-up) job. I "retired" in the sense that left the position I was in and took my pension (no reason not to). I have been contracting for a year and just started another permanent, full time, position with a small company. I get to put my hands on hardware again. ;-)

I thought about hanging out my own shingle, because I really don't need full time work. I tried contracting for a year and could have continued without much trouble. There is a *LOT* of work out there. Contracting was too hard on my wife though, and I didn't much care for apartment living either. The problem I had with "going solo" was the cost of the tools and licensing issues.

--
Keith
Reply to

When i semi-retire it means dropping to about 1000 hour per year and a much higher rate. I will also start taking my normal retirement / pension incomes and expect to delay taking SS if it is still there. My

401K etc., resources are a undecided issue. Still modifying planning.
Reply to
JosephKK
[snip]

Don't do that. Run the numbers. Delaying onset means you don't even break even on this "benefit" for 15 years or more.

...Jim Thompson

                   Liberals are so ignorant...
         They don\'t even know the definition of ignorant

After 62 or the "normal" retirement age?

--
Keith
Reply to

I was making a much higher rate while contracting. It was still a lot of hours though (1700+ through mid July). It still wasn't worth it. I likely could have done another year there; six months easy.

--
Keith
Reply to

62 is "early" retirement. I was in the next to last age group who could do "regular" retirement at 65. "Delayed" ups the monthly income, but run the numbers. In my case it was ~12 years before the total income was break even, in my wife's case ~15 years. Some people don't live that long ;-)

...Jim Thompson

   "Sarah Palin is to the left what sunlight is to a vampire."
                          - Cal Thomas

I have been rechecking them for years now. And waiting maybe 2 years to turn on SS will net me about $700/m more with an expected life span after of at least 20 years. Just the same, not all the numbers are in.

Reply to
JosephKK

I am thinking maybe when i am 65, but i cannot afford to wait until i am 70. That will cost me.

Reply to
JosephKK

and

Was that all billable hours. It is tough to get to that many hours and have them all billable. I am glad you say the looming sunset and backed off to more reasonable hours.

Reply to
JosephKK

I think you're talking retiring prior to "official" retirement age versus retiring "officially".

I'm talking retiring _after_ "official" retirement age doesn't pay back well.

...Jim Thompson

  What\'s the difference between a horse\'s ass and Barack Obama?
                            Lipstick!

What is your birth year? Check this out...

You have to have been born before 1938 to "retire" at age 65 with full benefits.

...Jim Thompson

  What\'s the difference between a horse\'s ass and Barack Obama?
                            Lipstick!

and

Yes, those were the hours from my time sheets> There was no such thing as a non-billable time. Either I was working (on site) or not. I didn't keep track of the '07 hours, but they were similar (Aug. thru Dec.). I didn't get tired until I stopped working the long hours. I don't know if it just caught up with me or if I just got bored because I was living in an apartment and all my toys were packed. ;-)

It was a lot harder on my wife though (strange town, knowing no one, no job, and I'm working 6 or 7 days a week). That's really the reason I left. Some things are more important than money.

--
Keith
Reply to

Right, but my question was whether you were saying that one should take the early money or the normal retirement. I haven't run the numbers (I'm getting there so I should), but AIUI early retirement isn't such a good idea. The tax situation sucks too.

--
Keith
Reply to

It is the big increment when i turn 67, waiting until 72 requires something like 30 years to catch up.

Reply to
JosephKK