Re: Wireless Power Nearly There

Ah yes, the all too common problem of sorting the back up and retry types from the quitters. The pressure to "get through" in 4 years is immense, and all too often leads to graduates that do not have their basics well learned. They are mediocrities regardless of their pay rates.

Reply to
JosephKK

And possibly perhaps maybe i spoke too soon. Of course part of that is how well you can still use it. Mine has degraded more than i dare admit.

Reply to
JosephKK

IMNSHO you have the two swapped. But that is just me. I guess i have built enough stuff with my own hands and had SPICE say the results are different that what i measured, and had it save me from failures enough that i just regard it a tool, nothing more.

Reply to
JosephKK

Gee, i have been complaining about this for only 30 years or so.

Reply to
JosephKK

A high school topic when i was a teen. But not universally required, it was only part of the science and engineering curriculum. Then again, scientists and engineers that cannot do this are a problem.

Reply to
JosephKK

Just one of many. Units understanding is also required.

Reply to
JosephKK

Then either you didn't do a proper Monte Carlo analysis or your model was crap in the first place.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Reply to
jimp

^^^^^politicians complete with punning historical side note.

Reply to
JosephKK

We are in agreement on this. BTW where are the libraries that are disposing of Dr. A's learned works (commonly thought of as textbooks), i want to buy some on the cheap. See also Dr. Feynman and Bohr etc.,.

Absolutemente. I happen to like doing interesting cooking. My brother learned to knit. So on and so forth. I like learning things, but i have a full time job, a house and front and back yards and so on.

Reply to
JosephKK

been there, do that. do you care?

Reply to
JosephKK

Oh fiddlestix. I do believe it is much more complex. Consider the reactions to Palin's 17 year old daughter. I mean really deeply over various segments of society. That may actually help McCain. It is a dead cinch that this is not a surprise to the McCain campaign

Reply to
JosephKK

college

for

neat. That happens to be a fact if you do science. You may never win and can't look in the back of the book for the answer. The guys I used to work with were awesome. They would be handed a task, given a ship date, and somehow make the gear work even when the design didn't let it work. They never knew if they would be successful and make it work but they dug right in and did.

I can imagine that bridge fixers have similar problems.

/BAH

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

By quitting too soon, Bill Gates established a thinking pattern that has made computing lives miserable. I've always wished that they had stayed one more month.

He did it the hard way. After the first semester, you can do your own research and find the profs and classes you need without wasting

6 weeks of study and class time. He must not have been in science. 6 weeks of labs is a lot of hours.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

I had it in grade school. I just didn't know it was called dimensional analysis. Farmers do this all the time. Cooks and bakers do this all the time. Anybody driving from the US into Canada may do this. Anybody wishing to sell their product in the EU will do this. Not being able to convert measurements is a problem for far more people than scientists and engineers.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

You don't have to buy them. Just pick them up. You do need to visit the library and figure out where the dumped book bookcase is. Another place to find treasures is the annual or bi-annual book sales that the Friends of the Library hold.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

jmfbahciv wrote in news:asGdnSL7usY8TibVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

[snip]

As I've said, I worked in a biochemistry reseach lab, then worked in my field as a medical microbiologist. So the vast majority of people I knew, both in University, and most of my professional life, were scientists. That held true even after I took a hiatus to study Russian and political science (International Affairs and National Security) and then went to work for the gov.t, as I dealt with various forms of science and technology.

Fellow scientists and fellow sci/tech analysts (most of the latter had PhD degrees in their analytical field).

Reply to
Kris Krieger

jmfbahciv wrote in news:asGdnV37usaKSSbVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Read what I wrote, which you included in the qoute:

Obviously, when nitwits are allowed to rule, society ends up being dumbed down.

It's not merely a "blame game" to point out the responsible parties, because identifying them is the first step to removing them from positions of influence.

Yes. As it was back when and, specifically, where, I attended school. And how is that going to be changed? What practical steps can be taken?

BTW, ever read "Beneath the Wheel" by Hermann Hesse? The inanity of the masses isn't a new phenomenon.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

JosephKK wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

[snip]

Heh. It vaguely reminds me of the novella "Farenheit 451" - individuals became secret book depositories.

I think that's why a lot of people look forward to retirement - so they can do what interests them ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger

JosephKK wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

[snip]

Heh ;) Only I do think it's getting worse.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

JosephKK wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Veering off into politics, the main issue there is that the Republicans have long been trying to claim moral superiority. People are judged using the judgements they pass on others. I think that concept is even in the Bible ;)

Reply to
Kris Krieger