Re: Wireless Power Nearly There

>christofire wrote: >> >> > >> > Androcles wrote: >> >> >> >> Old wives' tales still abound. I was recently told that my new >> >> fridge/freezer >> >> should not be turned on for 24 hours because it had been tilted >> >> horizontally >> >> bringing it in through the front door and I should wait for the fluid to >> >> settle. >> > >> > >> > It's not 'fluid', it is the oil needed to keep the compressor from >> > destroying itself. If enough had drained into the freon lines, the >> > compressor would have seized up, and you would be out the price of the >> > repair, since stupidity isn't covered by the warranty. >> > >> > As always, there is no accounting for know it alls. >> >> You mean the lubricating oil that surrounds the compressor, which also keeps >> it cool by conducting heat away to the surrounding steel can, is free to >> pass to the other side of the piston that is usually compressing the >> refrigerant (i.e. freon, pentane, or whatever) and to have 'drained into the >> freon lines' if the fridge is held horizontally? Then, (assuming there >> isn't a one-way valve for oil into freon - and if so, why?) wouldn't the >> freon have access to the other side of the piston so the compressor would be >> 'short circuited' - and wouldn't work? > > > The oil isn't compressible. Think about it: What would happen if >you filled a cylinder in your car's engine with motor oil when it was in >the compression stroke, and tried to start it? You would burn out the >starter motor, but not tun the engine over. Now think about a tiny >compressor with a small electric motor in the same situation. > >As far as Androcles, he has the story wrong, as usual. If a >refrigerator or freezer is transported horizontally, it is in that >position more than a few minutes, and has vibration that helps the oil >flow where it doesn't belong. > > Have you ever looked at what is inside a small Freon compressor? It >is sealed to reduce the chances of a Freon leak, but is identical to the >50+ year old designs that had the exposed compressor mounted on springs. >The oil is inside the compressor, not the outer housing. I've seen a >lot of them scrapped, and not one had any oil in the outer housing, >unless the compressor's body was damaged. > > > Owners manuals used to have that warning on the front, the back, and >sometimes two or three more places, along with a plastic bag taped over >the AC plug with another warning you to let it sit after delivery. They >figured that a 24 hour wait was no big deal, compared to 20 or more >years of useful product life.

Actually i have gotten intimate with the innards of a small refrigerator "sealed unit" enough to have rewound the coils of the of the induction motor. There is a pool of oil in the bottom for lubrication that takes a different path from the "working fluid" through the unit. It is also splattered against the sealed housing and windings to improve heat dissipation.

Reply to
JosephKK