Re: Wireless Power Nearly There

Well, it seemed funny at the time. Guess I shoulda gone to MIT.

Reply to
Benj

Um, but that is a whole other issue!

Reply to
Benj

That's not algabra, that's arithmetic. There are no symbolic unknowns, just hard numbers.

Shopping for chips?

John

Hey, of course you use symbolic math to compare beer prices. You don't count "beer can", "beer can", "beer can", "beer can"! You say the number "4" as symbolic of actual beer cans. And obviously everybody needs to study advanced math because as I recall we just proved in another thread that "reality" is really just math and math is "more real" than reality! Math is actually more real than beer! Hence, every modern kid needs to study it!

Reply to
Benj

Grocers' apostrophes or more likely grocer's apostrophe's. A common phenomenon; probably 'a common phenomena' to some.

Chri's

Reply to
christofire

My favorite school prank happened in my freshman year at a small military academy located in a small town now known for its UFO connections....

They replaced all the dorn room desks. the old desks were steel monstrosities, probably weighing 80-100 pounds each, while the new ones were light aluminum with smoother tops and more drawers and such. Since they didn't have anywhere else to put them, we stacked them two high in front of the dorms. Then the fun began...

First, one morning we awoke to find all the desks had been stacked in a neat pyramid in the center of the quadrangle. It was about four stories high, and about sixty feet on a side. It was interesting marching 'around' it for the next several days, until finally they went and unstacked them to the side.

Then, the amazing happened. At one end of the quadrangle there was a gap about seventy feet wide and four stories tall. We woke up to find a wall across that gap, one desk wide and four stories tall. I have no idea how they got those desks to the top, especially without waking the whole dorm up! It took them a week, and hiring a crane, to get them down again.

-- Charlie Edmondson Edmondson Engineering Inc

Charlie E.

I had a high school biology teacher who claimed that one of the pranks he was involved with in college was simply inverting a pail on top of a tall, free-standing flag pole. When this was discovered by the administration, they eventually ended up shotting out the bottom to get the thing off. :-)

These days I'm tempted to think they just had some guy climb up the pole, although I'd like to believe there would have been suggested back in, um, the late '80s when the anecdote was related to me and there was some reason climbing wouldn't have worked that I've since forgotten... but maybe not.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

At MIT (~1960) they put a Model-T on top that big flag pole in the Great Court. They had to bring in a construction crane to get it down. To this day I know of no one coming forward and telling how it was done.

...Jim Thompson

 Obama, without aid of teleprompter, "Uh...Uh...Uh...Uh...Uh..."

Would that be a scrapped model T? Or did some poor faculty member have theirs "borrowed?" :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I don't know. But I do remember some poor faculty member's VW being carried up the steps at Walker Memorial and put on the landing. Fortunately they carried it back down for him ;-)

...Jim Thompson

                           Common Values
                          Common Purpose
                         Common Buzzwords
                         Common Ignorance

If it was a flagpole it wouldn't be too hard to make a gadget and use the rope to raise it into place Wrap the rope around a couple hooks, and put the bucket on top, then lift it to the top of the pole. A second rope, from the gadget would release the bucket when it was over the pole. Lower the rope, remove the device and no one knows how you did it.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Would that have helped you? Either you are creative, or you aren't.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

n't.

Ah. I get it. All education and personal effort to improve one's self is all wasted time. A person is either born cool or they aren't. Glad we got that settled. Um, which are you?

And speaking of wasted time, just why are you responding to me? You know I'm a clueless lamer who posts from Google Groups and I have NOT asked to be "white listed" for the likes of you.

Reply to
Benj

Which is why it should not be an elective. High school algebra is all about setting up problems. This is the first exposure to analytical thinking. Everybody needs to be able to do that. Kids do this naturally when playing. This algebra shows them how to put some kinds of these problems on paper.

My mother thought she would not be able to do any algebra but wanted to teach herself (she's 86). I told her she had been doing that kind of math all her life in her head. All the book would do is show her how to write it on paper.

Grocery shoppers use basic algebra all the time when comparing prices.

I, respectfully, say bullshit. Everybody does the algebra that is taught in high school.

People do the simplified form of quadratics daily. Acreage. Volumes. Catching a fly ball. Being able to put it down on paper allows people to code them. And that's done every day. People setting up price lists are using linear algebra.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

I was wondering what all that "noise" would look like on my TV or monitor.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

No, it's not in this discussion. Go reread the posts. An unconscious assumption has to do with some writings about Tesla that are [emoticon looks for a tactful word] bizarre.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Honey, now go watch a caterer do his/her work. You are overlooking ratios.

Lots of algebra applications are involved in finding the inedibl flavors.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Since the kid was an MIT type among other MIT types, it's possible he first thought that those kids figured out a way to remove the room.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Do you get whiplash from constantly jumping to wrong conclusions?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I never went to MIT, yet had the same idea when a boss went on vacation. What does that say?