Re: GhostScript/GhostView ??

> Hey, I'm sorry you are a jerk. Whatever. I was just trying to help.

Who uses 'Word' on *nix?

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" hath wroth:

I do. MS Word 3.0 on SCO ODT 3.2v4.2 and Word 5.1 on SCO 3.2v5.0.5. However, I do prefer vi for anything useful.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Won't UltraEdit run on *nix?

I know it can switch back and forth between *nix and DOS file formats at will.

I last used vi (what a klutz) around 20 years ago ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson hath wroth:

I have no idea. Is it this one?

If so, it appears to be Windoze only.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

DOS(CR-LF) to Unix(LF): cat DOS_file | sed 's/.$//' > Unix_file

Unix to DOS (ksh): cat Unix_file | sed "s/$/`echo -e \\\r`/" > DOS_file Unix to DOS (bash or sh): cat Unix_file | sed 's/$'"/`echo \\\r`/" > DOS_file

Most Unix/Linux mutations have pre-fab scripts to do all this.

More of the same:

I use vi (or vim) all the time on every OS I know. It's fast and efficient. No need to take my hands off the keyboard or hunt around for where the mouse, function keys, or cursor controls have moved to. I'm mostly into content, not form, so I generate my content with vi, and then use whatever is handy for formatting, illustrating, or publishing. The catch is that you have to be a good typist and have the major vi tricks memorized. Vi just doesn't work for marginal typists, mouse addicts, and practitioners of WYSIWYG. In the bad old days of early Unix, it was either ed or vi, and not much else. If you wanted to use Unix. and needed to edit config files, you had to learn vi. My only regret is that vi isn't a hex editor.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Who said anything about Word on *nix? I use vim and openoffice on all my pcs. I'll admit I only use the vi features of vim.

Reply to
miso

Jim said he was using Word on a windows computer. he has stated quite a few times that the software he needs to run is Windows software, on Windows computers. You were talking about *nix. Two different animals.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Maybe Mac users? I wonder if Office for OS X is a native app or not?

Ironic that Apple of all companies has probably done more to resurrect UNIX lately than even Linux.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad