Re: GhostScript/GhostView ??

Hi,

>>I can't remember the way to crop a PostScript image.

make a eps with GS/GV. There you are able to give the outline manual, if needed. You also may be able to convert the ps to ascii, if it is in binary now, then you should be able to do this via notepad, that's the way I prefer ;-) Other way is to convert the ps (with GS/GV to a editable vector format like AI or others. There I prefer emf that works well with M$Office

Marte

Reply to
Marte Schwarz

Why all this trouble? You can crop nicely right in Word, no matter what format. As long as the imported graphic shows on your screen you can crop it right there.

I am certainly not a Microsoft fan and IMHO they should not design operating systems anymore but their MS-Word is quite a good product. Very practical, useful, and it doesn't have the bloat or leave memory leaks like OpenOffice does. I have yet to find a better word processor than MS-Word, but I'm not looking for one because it works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Nicely? It crops each border, manually, in inches, and you can't see what will happen until you exit the format box. If you've resized the picture, it still crops in the original dimensions! Any modern program will let you drag a crop box just where you want it.

The way Word handles images is a disgrace. Hell, the way it handles text is a disgrace!

It's a ghastly mess.

John

Ok, it's not perfect. But better than with IrfanView where you have that nasty black border because it stores it back with the cropped-away sections just blackened but not deleted.

Can't say that. It does some weird things such as like micro-crashes but those are mostly recoverable. Except when it hangs up on that dreaded normal.dot file. This sometimes requires hitting the reset button but then again that's kind of normal in a Windows environment.

I've done my docs and module specs with MS-Word since the first day of self-employment back in the late 80's. In fact, even with DOS-Word there wasn't much that I couldn't do compared to "modern" versions of it. I was always able to happily copy and paste schematic sections where it was needed to explains stuff, plus scope plots, analyzer pics etc. Heck, it even allowed a straight import of HPGL so you could include plots that came in over those garden hose cables. In the days of DOS!

The only MS program that I believe is even higher in reliability is MS-Works. That rarely ever crashes and keep my biz databases all caught up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

It does not! See abse.

And if you make a donation, Irfan himself will send you a thank-you email. Bill Gates won't do that.

John

prefer

Where on abse?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

binary

prefer

like

Same thread.

John

binary

prefer

like

Hmm, went through all posts of this thread over there, didn't find any with attachments. Maybe my news server dropped a post.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

binary

prefer

like

This is the ID, I think:

John

if

binary

prefer

like

This kind of link doesn't work on my PCs, just opens an email window.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

OK, I give up.

John

Sigh. Then I'll end up in a nursing home some day, having never known how to properly crop with Irfanview. But currently I use Word for that anyway. For really fine stuff a program from Kodak that came with the PC.

Seems like the SBC server is a bit rocky today. It choked for a few minutes a couple of times.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hi Jörg,

Postscript and Word are two separate worlds.

Ctl. + Y dont add any border on my computers. But remember the OP wants to crop postscripts, not bitmaps.

Marte

Reply to
Marte Schwarz

Irfanview lists postscript as an acceptable input format, although I've never tried it. It may need a plugin.

John

It uses Ghostscript.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Irfanview uses GS for PS. But then it is much better to use GV instead. There you can convert the PS in a editable format of your joyce. In case of vector graphics I prefer vector graphics too, like emf or wmf or dxf or simply ai if you have a DTP that accepts this format.

Marte

Reply to
Marte Schwarz

Try putting news: before the text above.

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Then the link does nothing at all on Mozilla :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

What happens with slashes?

news:// snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Nada, zilch, no reaction when clicking it :-(

Mozilla is a mixed bag. More reliable but some stuff doesn't work. Thunderbird is supposedly even more stable (not in my experience though) but lacks more features, for example the "next message" box.