Word to webpage

Hey, Word will export a document as a web page. Of course, it hopelessly mangles it first.

John

Just pasted some C in Open Orifice, plonked a jpg in the middle from a different directory, saved as html

It worked, all the line indents had gone though.

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

"HTML Tidy"

*-*-*-*-*-Word'97-*-*-*+free+*-*-*-*-fix-*-mistakes-automatically+bulks.out.HTML.*+*-hard-to-read-*+fix-*-*-*-*-*-problems+*.*.sloppy.editing+things-*-you-need-to-work-on+can-*-perform-wonders+HTML-*-from-Microsoft-Word-*&strip=1

Reply to
JeffM

Can't be worse than Microsoft Frontpage.

Dear God, I can't imagine how many times I've gone to websites, and every so often I find one that downloads slowly (like, a couple of seconds). It's not the connection speed, oh no, I get properties on this small (a few pages long) HTML and it's 100kB! Guess what the source says? Frontpage. Guess why it's so bulky? STYLE="blah; blah; blah" inside *each* and *every* element. Table elements. Paragraphs. Divs. Individual lines. Everything, everywhere.

Blech.

Now you know why I use Notepad!

Tim

Tim Williams

No, "word" exports something that Microsoft claims is HTML. It isn't really HTML but the Internet Exploder will open it and display it so meany people think it really is HTML.

Reply to
MooseFET

Actually, that doesn't really work either. It's a mess.

John

However, if you have to, "tidy" has an option that will turn such "HTML" into a passable representation. .

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Have you tried....

Martin Riddle

No I haven't and it is fairly unlikely I ever will. I avoid the problem completely by never useing MS word.

Since it is from Microsoft, I wouldn't trust it in a billion years. They are the ones that made Word claim to output HTML when in fact it doesn't.

If MS wanted to put some extra information in the HTML, they could have put it in, in several ways that would still make the result be valid HTML. The most obvious is to insert comments. You can also put in styles for classes that are never used and names for things that carry information.

Reply to
MooseFET

M$ products produces the worst HTML. The HTML converter in Word produces illegal HTML. Perhaps they have cleaned up the illegal syntax by now. M$ loves to ignore standards.

Reply to
qrk

They do it so the "HTML" can be converted back to 'Wprd"

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida