President's Staff Idiots Trying to Kill LORAN

"TACAN is more accurate than a standard VOR since it makes use of a two frequency principle, with 15 Hz and 135 Hz components."

I knew it was low frequency. I remember the military were overjoyed with my PLL... 43 years ago ;-)

...Jim Thompson

be

g.

The last set of trials seems to have said that iron fertilisation fo the oceans doesn't work in the way it was hoped to, which seems to have killed the informed interest.

This sort of information doesn't show up on denialist web-sites, which tend to be unsurprisingly selective in the peer-reviewed literature that they publicise.

Dream on

Where did you think the idea of squirting dirt into the stratosphere came from?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

ug.

You and Eeyore both have the same problem distinguishing short term fluctuations in the local weather from the long term trend which most climatologists attribute to global warming.

Take a look at the last 120 years worth of global temperature record, and try and work out how sugnificant year on year fluctuations actually are.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

It's actually from the lack of sunspots, but don?t tell anyone.

Martin Riddle

Actually there are strings in the middle of the US, and loran C is good to 1500-2000 miles.

Loran A was the short one.

The UK and many other nations just agreed to take E-loran on for the next 15 years.

E-Loran has correction data transmitted besides the basic pulses, so the accuracy goes way up.

Hopefully congress steps in like they did last time and says NO to a dumb idea.

Taking down the NDBs is dumb, but there are still plenty of AM radio staions for the NDB receiver to home on, so no reason to take it out of the aircraft dash. We homed in on a clear channel station from 200 miles out when I flew with a friend a few months ago, 1927 technology that still works great.

One high altitude nuke and half the GPS constellation is gone, and if Iran teamed with NK, it could happen. Big massive transmitters in

1960s style shelters tend to survive.

Keep in mind IRAN just put OMID in low earth orbit, but the news media was too focused on spouting econ bailout stuff that week to report on it. While its only 27 Kg, its only a matter of time before they can boost that mass.

Steve

Reply to
osr

got you all beat, snow the last two nights, Melted yesterday, but we had a lot of it.

OK, so OMID is a AMSAT clone, but still they did it.

Details and nice pics of internals here:

Steve

Reply to
osr

I can't even go out and swim in the pool. Too much wind... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

It's cold and drizzly in San Francisco, 58F now, 45 predicted low tonight.

We could use some AGW. Burn more wood for us!

John

Au contraire, we need more CO2. Plants love it.

John

Worth a read:

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Is there any data, not provided by AGW-lovers, that shows atmospheric CO2, percentage by source... "natural" versus man-made?

...Jim Thompson

Epa

Note man made additions is just 11ppm. I believe the largest source of co2 is volcanic.

Also see, Interesting Water vapor numbers.

Martin Riddle

It was in the 70s this afternoon. I had to scrape my windshield yesterday though. The frost got all the Crape Myrtle too (wonder if it'll come back?)

Reply to
krw

No. In a simple sense, you need one TACAN station to fix position, and 2 or more (the more the better) LORAN stations.

Reply to
Richard Henry

No. We need to gather what we have and feed the lower, ground level altitudes in farming and forest areas, except around folk's homes.

We should also make big dirigibles to gather chlorine at the south pole.

Feeding the oceans with Iron (near shorelines)is a good thing because the vast majority of CO2 is in our oceans and no matter how much you purge, it won't cut the amount available to plants.

If only we could crack CO2 and get the O2 out and maybe make bucky balls or such from the C.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Don't you have a link to a page with that pic? It looks down res'd.

Nice plot though. vvvvveeeeerrrrryyyyy informative. 12/20/2012 type stuff. I see the most recent decades are missing. Damn!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

On a sunny day (Thu, 9 Apr 2009 17:10:17 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@uakron.edu wrote in :

Good pdf, can read the chip numbers, They are using Dallas DS2064 8k x 8 static RAM.... hehe Amazed that all works in space [with batteries] like that. What processor? Z80?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It wont fly for very long, I am sure. Being as far behind as that gear looks, nothing they make any decade soon will be lasting very long up there either.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Same type plot I saw on either the science channel or NatG.

Loran would seem like the only candidate for submarine positioning. I guess you can float a GPS antenna on the waters surface. They used to try and keep track of Cesium beam frequency standards using long term Loran monitoring. I remember the loran on the upper frequency band. I think it was above the AM broadcast.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Volcanoes provided CO2 to melt Earths iceball. Rain was provided to get rid of the CO2.

greg

Reply to
GregS