kill switch

What is a kill switch? A kill switch in an IT context is a mechanism used to shut down or disable a device or program.

The purpose of a kill switch is usually to prevent theft of a machine or data or shut down machinery in an emergency. The degree to which a kill switch limits, alters or stops an action or activity depends on the production, process or program it is intended to protect.

bruce bowser

Aren't we forgetting personnel?

Also starts with a 'p', so shouldn't interfere with your 'style'.

What's your point? Is there some sort of dispute? Comparing it to a 'dead man switch'?

RL

Reply to
legg

Why not for "mainframes, servers, routers, desktops, laptops and phones?

Reply to
bruce bowser

Where I worked the shunt trip took care of that.

Sometimes inadvertently.

Reply to
Tim R
[snip]

And then there's this:

[NYC's Tabloid of Record]

Oops! FDNY contractor presses wrong button, shuts down NYC's emergency dispatch system ==== rest:

danny burstein

I guess we'll never know if that ever happened in the military or in the intel or police forces.

Reply to
bruce bowser