semi-OT: Opportunity to be heard on RoHS

From: Harvey Miller To: R Rasmussen , Bob Baer Subject: Fwd: Gordon Davy's response --- to-' Your Opportunity to be Heard' -- on RoHS Date: Apr 30, 2007 7:29 PM

Introduction > > The European Commission in charge of compliance with the lead-free ban > is > now re-examining the RoHS directive that invoked it. > > An enormous penalty has been exacted on electronics equipment > reliability > and on the environment. Tin mining has grown by at least 40% with more > impending, to replace lead. From an article in the Resource Investor, > April 17, 2007, "Silver sales were 13.5 million ounces last year, up > from > 9.7 million ounces in 2005, while the average realized price increased > to > $11.72 an ounce, up from $7.31." In a tight market like tin, that can > only mean more mining. > > Finally, a real cost-benefit analysis may be in the works. Gordon has > performed a great service, as usual, in detailing some of the reasons it > is needed. > > Everyone who pretends to be an environmentalist should become aware that > unintended consequences lurk behind many seemingly environmentally- > friendly measures. Substance bans are a childish, simplistic reaction > that often defeat their purpose. Exceptions to this principle should be > weighed carefully. There is an intelligent alternative---OSHA- enforced > global recycling! > > Harvey Miller > > --- "Davy, Gordon" wrote: > > > Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:52:47 -0400 > > From: "Davy, Gordon" > > Subject: Re: [LF] [CN] RoHS/WEEE Directives - Your Opportunity to be > > Heard > > To: snipped-for-privacy@IPC.ORG > > > > Sahar Osman-Sypher has posted to Compliance Net, but not the Leadfree > > forum, a notice of an official request for input regarding the impact > of > > RoHS/WEEE Directives on the electronics industry. That posting can be > > seen in the CN archives. The questionnaires and more information can > be > > found at
Deadline for > > completion is May 25. I post below my response to the person > identified > > on the cover of the questionnaire as the contact. > > > > > > > > Gordon Davy > > > > Email to contact for RoHS questionnaire > > > > Ms. Bogaert: > > > > I have just received from the IPC, an industry association, a link to > > the ECOLAS Ltd. questionnaire which lists you as the contact. I > started > > to examine it but found that it appears to be aimed at companies that > > are required to comply with the RoHS directive. I wonder if you have > > considered preparing tailored questionnaires for companies > manufacturing > > EEE that is regarded as exempt, such as military and aerospace > > electronics, and for companies that supply the manufacturers of > > non-exempt EEE. If your questionnaire does not get completed by these > > segments of the industry, you will fail to capture the associated > costs, > > and will significantly underestimate the impact of RoHS. > > > > In passing, the completed questionnaires that you receive from the > > non-exempt manufacturers will surely show the greatest cost to comply > > with RoHS is compliance verification - and attorneys. Many unanswered > > questions remain on how to conduct accurate verification testing - > there > > are no industry standard test methods. (That fact could have been > > established rather easily before RoHS was enacted, but was not. Even > > Greenpeace knows it now.) Consequently, compliance is really a matter > of > > risk management. > > > > I trust that it has not escaped your notice that RoHS has had a > profound > > effect on the exempt industries as well as non-exempt industries. As > > just one example, I along with several dozen others representing > several > > dozen manufacturers of exempt (high reliability) equipment and their > > customers (e.g., military services, NASA) have long been involved in a > > telephone conference (it started five years ago) that lasts from one > to > > two hours every week. This conference focuses on just one (presumably > > unforeseen by those who enacted the directive) consequence of the > > directive. > > > > That consequence is the growth of tin whiskers on the electrical > > terminations of electronic components that we buy. Most of those > > components are of course the same components bought by manufacturers > of > > non-exempt equipment. While the directive does not mandate that tin > > without lead be used as the termination finish, that has proved to be > > the preponderant choice by the component manufacturers. Our industry's > > market share is far too small to influence those decisions. The result > > of using tin without lead (instead of the previous tin with lead) as a > > termination finish is a significant risk of the growth of tin > whiskers. > > > > Without getting too technical, tin whiskers pose the possibility of > > equipment failure due to short circuits. Those short circuits can > cause > > failures of any equipment - exempt and non-exempt. Ironically, the > > result of each failure is typically increased WEEE. So an unintended > > consequence of RoHS is more WEEE. > > > > While it is difficult to prove that any given failure is actually due > to > > a tin whisker (they are very difficult to see), tin whiskers are > > believed to have caused many equipment failures, including the failure > > of several communications satellites, with losses of those alone > running > > into the billions of euros. Of course, those failures did not result > in > > WEEE going into landfills, but did result in the expenditure of > > resources (including mining and energy use) to replace the failed > > equipment, to say nothing of the loss of opportunity to use those > > resources for other social benefit. Those who are concerned about > > sustainability should recognize the problem. > > > > Some of those failures were due to errors by designers or the factory. > > However, with increasing numbers of components becoming available with > > no other finish, it is not hard to predict an increase in the number > of > > whisker-caused failures of both non-exempt and exempt EEE. Think of > the > > consequences for automobile computers alone - including yours. > > > > Those component manufacturers that have decided to adopt lead-free tin > > as the termination finish have had attendant expenses. They have had > to > > conduct expensive research (non-recurring) to find ways to minimize > the > > whisker risk, and they are now required to engage in time-consuming > and > > expensive (recurring) process monitoring. > > > > Just last week I attended a two-day international symposium on the > > subject of tin whiskers. Attendance was capped at 150 attendees. The > > first day was devoted to discussing research aimed at understanding > tin > > whiskers; the second on research on how to protect equipment from > > whisker-caused failures and to how recover (remediate) when whiskers > are > > found. Had the RoHS directive not prohibited the use of lead in > > electronics this entire area of research would not have been > necessary. > > > > Not long ago, the EU TAC issued an exemption allowing the use of lead > in > > the finish of components that had a very small distance between > > terminations. Lamentably, this was a case of too little, too late. Tin > > whiskers can get very long. While not common, cases have been found > with > > a length approaching two centimeters. I published a paper five years > ago > > on a spectacular failure of an electronic component used in a military > > system. It failed after over a decade in the field due to whiskers > that > > grew inside. A similar unfailed component when opened had hundreds of > > whiskers longer than one centimeter. > > > > Besides, by the time that the permission to use lead was issued, > > component manufacturers had already switched to lead-free tin. It > isn't > > practical for them to apply tin to some component terminations and > > tin-lead to others. > > > > The result is that many of the components we buy will be available > with > > only lead-free tin as a finish. My company pays component engineers to > > review each such case to assess the risk to our hardware, which I > remind > > you, is used for military purposes and is expected to operate for > > decades without failure. Each such review is expensive. For equipment > > destined to operate in space, the use of tin without lead is strictly > > prohibited. > > > > In each case where the determination is that we cannot take the risk, > we > > are faced with the prospect of redesigning the equipment to get by > > without it (often not possible without serious performance > consequences) > > or getting the terminations dipped in ordinary tin-lead solder (all > the > > way to the body, with attendant risk of damage due to asymmetric > > heating). The US Navy recently spent a million dollars on a project to > > assess the risk of heat damage to tin-plated components that had to be > > solder dipped to render them usable by some of its programs. One > company > > has developed a business of replacing the lead-free tin plating on a > > certain type of component with tin-lead plating by a proprietary > > process. It should be obvious that had it not been for RoHS, these > > activities would be unneeded. The costs and risks of handling delicate > > components alone are significant, but for those applications where the > > components are needed to achieve performance requirements, there is no > > alternative. > > > > Our risk of field failures due to the RoHS directive is greater than > > what I have discussed so far. In addition to building EEE we buy many > > electronic subassemblies. Where those subassemblies are commercial > > off-the-shelf, we have no control over what components get used or how > > rigorous a risk analysis has been conducted before a component is > > selected. The manufacturer can change the components used at any time > > without even notifying us. > > > > In conclusion, I understand that your questionnaires are intended to > be > > used to supply data for a cost-benefit analysis. Regrettably, the > > benefit part of that analysis was not done before the RoHS directive > was > > enacted. I have read the preamble carefully, and while I see vague > > allusions to benefits, I can find no claim that can be verified with > > publicly available data. Instead of documenting actual cases of > > poisoning by lead (and the other prohibited substances) that have > > occurred due to use in electronics, the directive's authors seem > simply > > to have assumed that their use poses risks to public health. The > > precautionary principle puts the burden of proof on those who seek a > > change from prevailing practices. In this case, burden falls on the > > people who have asserted that substances must be prohibited. They have > > failed to provide even rudimentary proof. Of course, if the proof > > doesn't exist because the assertions are false, that is > understandable. > > > > For what it is worth, my training is in chemistry, and starting in > 1999 > > I have conducted extensive investigations into whether the risk is > real > > or imagined. There's no question in my mind that it's the latter. In > > fact, you will have a hard time finding any scientist or engineer who > > has been involved in helping the industry adapt to the directive who > > believes that the risk is real. They do what they are told to do > because > > their employers are told what they have to do, but their heart is not > in > > it. That aspect may not emerge from your questionnaire explicitly, but > > if you look for it in the responses, you may detect expressions of an > > underlying hostility toward those responsible for enacting RoHS. Those > > scientists and engineers have job security, to be sure, but most would > > have preferred to be engaged in an activity with some redeeming social > > value. > > > > Despite a rigorous search I have been able to find not a single case > of > > poisoning attributed to use of any of the prohibited substances in > > electronics. Did you know that blood lead levels have been dropping > for > > decades since lead was removed from gasoline and paint? Did you know > > that the major sources of cadmium in people are food and cigarettes? > Or > > that the major source of mercury in people is the burning of coal for > > power? So if you find that the costs are real and the risks are not, > the > > analysis you publish should make it clear (if your client will allow > you > > to tell the truth) that RoHS has been not a boon to society but a > > burden. > > > > Before I would be willing to recommend the use a sharp pencil to > > document the cost impact of the RoHS directive on our company in > > completing your questionnaire, I would want some assurance that > someone > > was conducting a parallel and sincere effort to, for the first time, > > document the actual environmental and health consequences of the use > of > > the prohibited substances in electronic equipment. Actually, if that > > effort were made, and the results showed that there is no credible > harm > > from the use of the prohibited substances in EEE, there would be > little > > need for people to spend time completing your questionnaire to > document > > the costs. Without effort those costs can be seen to run into the > > billions. > > > > I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but the European Commission up till > now > > has been hostile to any consideration of cost, presumably because it > has > > taken it as an article of faith that the risks are so great as to > render > > such considerations irrelevant. Now at long last it appears that some > > VIP has had a change of heart and that cost is a permissible topic of > > discussion. But given the past attitudes and behavior, I respectfully > > request that you, or your client, provide our industry some sort of > > good-faith evidence that the time and effort spent in completing your > > rather extensive questionnaire will have a reasonable prospect of a > > payoff - that is, of meaningful relief. Since the biggest cost of RoHS > > compliance is compliance verification, any proposed relief that does > not > > address this burden will be regarded as of secondary benefit to the > > industry. > > > > Sincerely, > > > > Gordon Davy, Ph.D. > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- > >

Reply to
Robert Baer

I saw a company selling ROHS complaint lead acid gel cells yesterday. WAFJ

They need to worry about banning incandescent light bulbs, and short life low mercury Florescent bulbs, as well.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Lemme see, a ban on short life low mercury Florescent bulbs is excellent; that gets rid of the CFL insanity. But then if incandescent light bulbs are also banned, what does one do, go back to candles?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote in news:yx3_h.6238$Ut6.2325 @newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

be

yesterday.

no, they produce CO2 when burnt. They must sit in the dark and like it...

me

Can't do that - they make CO2. I guess we'll just have to learn to read by moonlight.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Well, the moon *MUST* be banned because it totaly messes with the enviroment: slows down the Earth's rotation, makes for unacceptably large various in water levels, etc.

Reply to
Robert Baer