The urge to kill

The urge to kill...

Just changed out a kitchen sink disposer.

Original equipment, put in when the house was built 16 years ago.

Some "master" plumber filled every threaded (plastic drain) joint with plumbers putty :-(

Dried up after 16 years... I had to break it to get it apart :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim Thompson Inscribed thus:

16 years ago that was pretty much the done thing. People have gotten much better at molding threads since. Thread sealer has also got much more sophisticated with the advent of new compounds that don't set hard and can be cleaned off fairly easily.
--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

So what is the problem? Working with plastic pipe is easy - even if you have to saw out a section. Bonding in a new coupler is simple. My biggest problem was dry fitting everything first to get all the dimensions proved out... then I forgot to glue one of the joints ;-)

Reply to
Oppie

If one rides a bike, one gets exercise. If one rides a bike with a rusty chain, the task is a bit harder, but what one gains is stamina.

I ride the old nasty bike, and have all of its little resistances cause me to work harder. If I ever have to race, I get on the pristine, new bike, and it is so smooth a ride that all that stamina building benefits me in the form of a faster finish.

Reply to
life imitates life

I'd bet that plumber's putty hasn't changed in 40 years.

Molding threads? Make any more dumb shit up?

The plastics industry was molding threads just as good then as they are now, and the polymers are the same too for this application.

Reply to
life imitates life

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Pffffttt...

The shutoff valve to my ice-maker was *glued* to the end of the pipe. When I went to take it off (it was leaking) I discovered that the tubing in the wall was 'M' instead of 'L' (the builder dropped a cabinet over the pipe before the inspector could notice.) and completely unsupported for 10+ feet.

This was the same builder that decided that rubbing on the inside of the junction box was "good enough" for a ground. He literally stripped 10" of the ground wire and just wadded it into the box. At every junction box in the house.

In civilized countries the builder faces criminal charges when doing this kind of cr@p. Here in the good 'ol USA, the goober has to be sued in civil court.

Have a nice week-end, Gary.

Reply to
ghelbig

What *was* that plumber thinking??? "If I don't goop up every joint I may have to return and fix any leak for free. OTOH with goop I can avoid that and have a bigger fee when it breaks after the warrantee period." Art

Reply to
Artemus

What was your outcome with the in slab leak? Dig it up, and pipe-in-pipe?

Martin Riddle

Threaded plastic drain components (available 16 years ago) were (still are) simple enough for a moderately handy homeowner to assemble leak free. This guy must have been a moron.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You will find when you need to repair a single fitting that your cans of primer and cement from your last project will have dried out.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Reply to
Dan

You ain't real bright, Danny. In fact, it sounds like you should have the doc double your Lithium dosage levels.

Any idiot knows how to keep that from happening, much less those of us with brains. So what is your problem, sub-idiot boy?

Reply to
Pieyed Piper

You could have gone all year without mentioning an under slab leak. I recently had one under my bathtub. Older house, drain was leaking, then when I gained access to the drain plumbing the cold water supply developed pinhole leaks. I did a temporary fix on that until I could dig up enough slab to get to good pipe. The hot water supply pipe decided it need to leak also. Fortunately the leaks were near the tub drain, unfortunately enough sand washed into the drain by the time I noticed it to have clogged the drain. The drain pipe was PVC, the supply lines were copper.

On the plus side I installed shut offs to the tub and learned that plated brass tub drains do corrode to lace.

As for plumber's putty, it does have a long shelf life and you can use it in a pinch. It also works great on old iron pipes. My personal experience is leaks always show after the stores close on Saturday and before they open on Monday. I'm not saying go buy some just in case, but if you already have some it's handy for hobbies too.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Reply to
Dan

Ah, yes! The voice of experience. Must be one of Murphy's corollaries...

Reply to
Oppie

Does the extra stamina help you to ride your boyfriend, fagboi? :-)

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard

Delta Force reports he's as full of Spunk as ever. Mind you, most 'camp followers' are. There's a rumour afoot that little ArchieLiverLover has actually been propositioning fellow Church members and has started carrying his own collection plate.

That would explain sightings of the back of his head bobbing up and down in pew four.

mike

Reply to
m II