President's Staff Idiots Trying to Kill LORAN

So much for having a hardened backup to GPS:

SEE:

350 Million was just spent in the past two years to modernized the system. It costs, depending on whose numbers used, between 12 million and 35 million a year to operate, chump change compared to a bailout.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Uh yeah. Let's bring back Omega and GWEN too.

Reply to
miso

According to our local paper this morning the money might rather be spent on shooting dirt particles into the higher atmosphere to soothe global warming. I laughed so hard that I had to hang on to my coffee mug.

Oh man ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Quote:

GPS is weak in so many ways, whats wrong with one cheap backup? Especially one that penetrates into canyons and big cities?

I've spent a hour in a private aircraft looking at a flagged GPS from low sat count in the western US. It happens from time to time. More often then you might think.

Steve

Reply to
osr

Quote:

End Quote:

Yet the proven technology of dumping iron dust into the ocean to encourage algea growth and reduce co2 is ignored. Not that we need to reduce co2, but didn't these guys learn anything from Mt. Pinatubo and the cooling glitch in the temp data after 9/11? Asthma was way up after Pinatubo and without contrails, air temp was down.

Steve

Reply to
osr

How can the fairy prince keep control of the peasants if the populace has some way to navigate around his make-everyone-equal armies ?:-(

...Jim Thompson

Obama is about to make Herbert Hoover look like a financial genius

Ahh, the old global thermostat problem. Who gets to set it, and to what temp?

2013 headline: "Gore-war vaporizes 100-millionth victim"

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

And here it's April 9th, were are in California, and I'll have to put another load into the wood stove in a few minutes. Global warming. Yeah, right. Tomorrow we are going to order another four cord for next winter, it used to be that two was plenty around here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Can you send some global warming over here? We could really use it.

--
Regards, Joerg (no heading over to feed wood stove, again)

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I was on BLM land when GPS jamming was present from the military. It was kind of funny. The GPS went from working to falling off a rock. That said, the GPS jammer is pretty easy to spot. I don't know how long the jammer will live.

I've talked to the guys at Nellis AFB that do the jamming. It is very unsophisticated, They use a RF generator and a bandlimited modulation source. It can be done off the shelf with a certain generator. I don't recall the name, but it is not Agilent. It was one of the European brands.

Supposedly NDBs are going to be shut down soon.

Reply to
miso

Reminiscing, Isn't TACAN related to LORAN?. I vaguely remember designing a PLL for TACAN in the mid '60's.

...Jim Thompson

Here in God's country 75°F, reaching to 79°F this PM.

...Jim Thompson

Totally different, as in four orders of magnitude in frequency :-)

TACAN is military and similar to the VOR for civilian aircraft, and IIRC operates around a GHz. LORAN is longwave, around 100kHz.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe it was modulation but I remember one of the frequencies as 30Hz.

...Jim Thompson

LORAN does provide a very limited backup to GPS. Its harder to jam, because of the low (on the order of 100KHz) frequencies involved. However, there are very few LORAN facilities in existance. Most are on the two coasts of the USA. Its range is limited to a few hundreds of miles miles from the stations.

Reply to
jd_lark

Yes, and the military is definitely on GPS now. Also, THEIR GPS is different than ours, so their signals from the sats may well be of a higher amplitude. No, folks will not be jamming GPS anytime soon. We have HARMs that take care of retarded radio sources like that in very short order.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Yeah, we are having a cold spell too!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

AFAIK it's 12usec dual burst and 100usec intervals. I think the antenna commutation is 15rps so maybe that looked like modulation in the receiver, and a 130Hz or so ripple.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.