OT: Gas price

It's been spiking up and down in the Bay Area. Today it was $2.76 at Costco in Santa Clara.

Of course the crude price is just one factor in gasoline price. No matter how low crude goes, the refining costs don't change, and the distribution costs don't change much either. And remember, that the retail price is based on market factors as much as it is set by the cost of crude, refining, and distribution.

If the Iran deal goes through, as it appears like it will, crude prices will fall even further once Iran ramps up production. $30/barrel crude is likely. Despite all the lies by Republicans about the deal, the real reason they don't like it is because their buddies in the oil business don't want cheaper crude oil. Also, the Saudis are determined to keep the crude price below the cost of tar sands oil, and have said as much.

And of course remember that the futures price of crude is only loosely related to the cost of producing gasoline. Oil companies with their own wells are not paying anywhere close to $40 per barrel for the crude they use in their refineries.

Reply to
sms

California has uniquely goofy rules, practically designed to make the price of gas high and erratic.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
'

The oil companies with their own wells could be selling the oil at market prices instead of refining it themselves. So essentially they are paying $40 or more for crude.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

...and your point is?

Reply to
krw

Is there a huge oil field under the refinery?

They contribute a *hell* of a lot more than that. You think the unique CA blends are free? The fact that gas can't be imported from other areas costs you nothing?

Reply to
krw

:

LOL.

ome less thanb $3 in San Jose today. Perhaps the oil companies are taking my threat (transporting my own gasoline) seriously. They are moving their gouging target to the mid-west. I.e: from XOM to BP.

2

than Phoenix, AZ. Today, it's more like $0.50 to $.75 more. We can only be jealous of your low $2 gas, but $3 is much better than $4.

er Sept 15. My point exactly, no where else got the spike up and down for the past month as in the SF area. Transport cost? We have a big refinery close by.

Yes, there are enough oil wells in the state, but there were never a shorta ge of crude. I have not heard of any gas station running out either.

pt 15.

of course the regulators are too blind to see it.

1 premium was pure and simple manipulations.

That's the typical premium on average. I am not endorsing the C.A.R.B. as all, just trying to deal with it. It is illegal to buy/sell foreign gasoli ne, but not yet illegal to use it. The problem with most car is the limite d range of around 500 miles. I will have my extended tanker to do 2000 mil es and fill-up out of state. If enough people are doing it, then C.A.R.B w ould be irrelevant.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

You import no oil?

Nonsense. It's a lot more than that. Your state gas tax alone is $.423/gallon. Your state government is costing you more like $1.50/gal.

I'm not suggesting that you import gas, rather export yourself (or stop whining if you like your government).

Reply to
krw

It was $2.48 at the pump today in CT.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

. as all, just trying to deal with it. It is illegal to buy/sell foreign g asoline, but not yet illegal to use it. The problem with most car is the l imited range of around 500 miles. I will have my extended tanker to do 200

0 miles and fill-up out of state. If enough people are doing it, then C.A. R.B would be irrelevant.

Yes, but all states cost us $1/gal, according to your logic. Unless we exp ort ourselves out of the states.

National average is around $2.60. Normal CA price is $3.10.

It's $2.80 (lowest) today in San Jose, CA. I think the oil companies' pric e gouging backfired. They are reversing it into inventory fire-sale.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

.B. as all, just trying to deal with it. It is illegal to buy/sell foreign gasoline, but not yet illegal to use it. The problem with most car is the limited range of around 500 miles. I will have my extended tanker to do 2

000 miles and fill-up out of state. If enough people are doing it, then C. A.R.B would be irrelevant.

xport ourselves out of the states.

ice gouging backfired. They are reversing it into inventory fire-sale.

Price gouging? Gasoline is a miracle, cheaper than milk (and a lot better for your car).

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Cheaper than bottled water.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

te:

com

.R.B. as all, just trying to deal with it. It is illegal to buy/sell forei gn gasoline, but not yet illegal to use it. The problem with most car is t he limited range of around 500 miles. I will have my extended tanker to do 2000 miles and fill-up out of state. If enough people are doing it, then C.A.R.B would be irrelevant.

export ourselves out of the states.

price gouging backfired. They are reversing it into inventory fire-sale.

r for

Relatively speaking. I don't drink 50 gallons of milk or water at a time, but burn 50 gallons of gasoline round trip. So, gas price is more importan t when i am on the road.

Not now, with around $.30 over the average. But when it was $1.50 over the average three weeks ago, it was price gouging.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 11:20:48 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

e:

rote:

e.com

.A.R.B. as all, just trying to deal with it. It is illegal to buy/sell for eign gasoline, but not yet illegal to use it. The problem with most car is the limited range of around 500 miles. I will have my extended tanker to do 2000 miles and fill-up out of state. If enough people are doing it, the n C.A.R.B would be irrelevant.

we export ourselves out of the states.

' price gouging backfired. They are reversing it into inventory fire-sale.

ter for

, but burn 50 gallons of gasoline round trip. So, gas price is more import ant when i am on the road.

he average three weeks ago, it was price gouging.

Maybe it still is. I saw $2.04 on a road trip Saturday.

But if oil companies could seriously gouge--had the power--wouldn't they ke ep prices higher all the time?

Competition won't let them. People shop for the best deal, & customers have the power.

Now if we took all the price signs off the pumps and made everyone buy gasoline 'insurance'--because gasoline is a 'right' and everyone needs it-- then there'd be effectively no competition on gas price, only on the insurance (maybe). Prices would soar. That's Obamacare.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

te:

ote:

ere.com

C.A.R.B. as all, just trying to deal with it. It is illegal to buy/sell f oreign gasoline, but not yet illegal to use it. The problem with most car is the limited range of around 500 miles. I will have my extended tanker t o do 2000 miles and fill-up out of state. If enough people are doing it, t hen C.A.R.B would be irrelevant.

is

s we export ourselves out of the states.

(or

es' price gouging backfired. They are reversing it into inventory fire-sal e.

etter for

me, but burn 50 gallons of gasoline round trip. So, gas price is more impo rtant when i am on the road.

the average three weeks ago, it was price gouging.

keep

ve

Call it Guerrilla Price Gouging (GPG). They selectively raise prices in re gional markets for a short period of time. People, and more importantly po litician, have short memories and cannot react quick enough.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Politicians are in charge of gas prices?

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

te:

e:

owhere.com

the C.A.R.B. as all, just trying to deal with it. It is illegal to buy/sel l foreign gasoline, but not yet illegal to use it. The problem with most c ar is the limited range of around 500 miles. I will have my extended tanke r to do 2000 miles and fill-up out of state. If enough people are doing it , then C.A.R.B would be irrelevant.

one is

less we export ourselves out of the states.

lf (or

anies' price gouging backfired. They are reversing it into inventory fire- sale.

t better for

time, but burn 50 gallons of gasoline round trip. So, gas price is more i mportant when i am on the road.

ver the average three weeks ago, it was price gouging.

ey keep

have

regional markets for a short period of time. People, and more importantly politician, have short memories and cannot react quick enough.

Yes, by controlling gasoline supply via C.A.R.B., the bug eventually stops at the politicians.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

If gas costs too much, I just don't buy it. Or buy less. If one station charges more, I buy from the other.

Takes effect instantly, no politicians required. And keeps it cheap for high consumers like you too.

Problem solved.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Most modern fuel-injection systems "listen" for ping and adjust timing accordingly. Thus many cars calling for "premium" don't need it except in very hot weather. Except for summer, I run my Q45 (4.5L V-8) on "regular". ...Jim Thompson

If the compression ratio is high enough, there's nothing a timing tweak can do to prevent pinging. My Audi is 11:1, so I buy premium.

Besides, whatever compensation can be done costs power.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den mandag den 24. august 2015 kl. 18.18.23 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

will probably tweak the valve timing too, most cars can run on crappy fuel because that is all you can get in some places. but to make 30% more power per liter than big lazy V8 it needs the good fuel

yeh, no thing is free, it'll cost power and milage

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen