Gas-main broadband

I recently saw that a firm proposes using existing natural-gas piping to deliver broadband to homes. I think that's not a new idea - and I recall a story from Popular Electronics or Electronics Illustrated, circa 1957-1960, that showed an antenna farm atop a hill near Port Jervis, NY, and a small CCTV studio for local feeds that modulated microwave, injected into the city gas system, which was tapped at each home.

I can find no hint of that online. Does anyone recall that article or the Port Jervis implementation?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Becker

Tom,

Are not not familiar with Google's search function? I got 4,500,000 hits on "gas main broadband". Maybe you would also.

Reply to
webpa

Another monkey with a keyboard. What you actually entered was gas+main+broadband

What you SAID you entered was %22+gas+main+broadband%22 or gas-main-broadband

--and that gives zero hits

Perhaps YOU should learn to use Google. A meaningful search

*-gas-main yields 3 hits.

Reply to
JeffM

That sounds like the BPL (broadband over power lines) that they are trying to develop now. While it sounds cool, it seems to be impractical - from what I've read. Too susceptible to interference. Might work until someone keys up a transmitter near the power lines, or gas line. Although Consumers Power, Inc is currently testing this in-home right now . . . consumerspower.org Scott

Reply to
Scott Lane

no. these days gas pipes are plastic and leak rf like seives.

I think that's not a new idea - and I

I wonder how they stopped reflections from messing it up....

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

No, they are very different.

BPL uses relatively low frequency spectrum (5-21MHz, apparently). Gas-pipe broadband ("BiG"; Google:"broadband in gas") proposes using ultra wideband impulse technology. The Port Jervis system was surely microwave, maybe 4GHz or so, high frequency at the time.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Becker

Jeff,

Sorry, I though the OP wanted information, not an essay on your personal quirks. Out curiosity, did you read any of the hits on either my search or yours? Mine seems to have a very large number of at least slightly relevant results. More than 3, anyway. How's your banana?

Reply to
webpa

Could be, but that's not my interest Re-read my query, gentlemen; I'm looking for information of the Port Jervis system, not broadband gas.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Becker

Plastic makes a lousy waveguide!

What's interesting about this is the smell of money ... here are all of these providers who want to add broadband revenues to their existing infrastructure and income flow but almost never improve the basic services that we pay for!

Reply to
Charles Schuler