OT: Gas price

Californica is special... hidden taxation at every turn. Why do you think even Silicon Valley types are bailing out and heading to Texas? ...Jim Thompson

They only shut one down in LA. Wholesale price is based on supply somewhere like cusing,OK. There are plenty of supply everywhere, just not in the West Coast. They are just not shipping enough gas to the West Coast.

Because they can make more money this way, classic definition of price gouging. You can't argue against the fact. It's happening now.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Nothing to do with taxes. It's still fixed at approx. 60 cents. There is a $2 surcharge on gas transportation to the West Coast, not just CA. Hold for a minute while I check prices in Washington and Oregon.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

California mandates a special blend, so most (all?) of our gas is refined here.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I think you have a very limited understanding of the issues involved. I can assure you that if there were no reason for CA gas to be so much higher than the rest of the country it wouldn't be. If nothing else, competition would keep the price down. Why wouldn't one company be tempted to keep their refineries running full tilt and ship a bit more to CA selling a penny less than the others? Then another would do the same, etc. Every oil company has an obligation to the share holders to make as much money as they can. Shipping more product is a good way to do that.

Just look at the middle east. They have a hard time cooperating on prices and it is perfectly legal. For oil companies to cooperate on prices they would be breaking laws that would get the company officers thrown in jail.

When did this price differential develop?

--

Rick
Reply to

Portland and Seattle are both around $3. I just got back from San Diego's $4.5 stations. Fortunately, just looking, i got 3 tanks of gas with me.

My plan is to do weekly around trip to Tuscon, while dropping by to see the lovely Judge Bita, chat with Judge Jerry and smile/wave at Justice Mark.

Tuscon: tank 50, mile 0, cost -0.00 Vegas: tank 39, mile 472, cost 27.50 Carson: tank 29, mile 902, cost 55.00 Fisco: tank 24, mile 1117, cost 67.50 Diego: tank 12, mile 1618, cost 100.00 Tuscon: tank 2, mile 2027, cost 125.00

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

So it's a "surcharge" and not a tax ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

I think you don't understand multi-party monopoly.

When Exxon burns up their refinery on Feb 18. They will rebuild it by the end of the year, unless they come out with another excuse.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

AFAICR Californica gas prices have always been at least $1.50 more than in Arizona.

It's all about crooked politics and ignorant citizens... Californica has the most of both >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Yes, it's oil company surcharge, not a government tax. They all need this to make up for their crude lost. But they shouldn't just do it in one region.

Problem is that most cars are build to go around 500 miles, other than hit-cars. I am adding two extra gas tanks to my sister's Honda Civil (40 mpg) to do Court Running (as mention before). I am borrowing her car and let her use free gas.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

No, usual difference is 50 cents, not $1.50.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

In my arithmetic $4 - $2.50 = $1.50 ??

I can't _ever_ recall seeing gasoline in Californica for $3. ...Jim Thompson

It was less than $3 late last year up to Feb, right before the fire. I can't believe AZ gas for $1.5, not counting special deals

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Where? I'm in San Diego and the Bay Area fairly regularly... seems to always be right around $4. Gas last week (in AZ) was $2.499, today it's $2.799... the usual bump to snag the vacationers :-( ...Jim Thompson

At least part of it dates back to at least 1991, when California started setting its own regulations which constrained the formulas of gasoline sold in the state: outlawing lead, specifying limits on sulfur and aromatics and other organics and on the fuel vapor pressure, and so forth. California was the first state to set its own technical standards for gasoline... if I recall properly, the right to do so required special Congressional action. The motive was (as you might guess) the notorious smog problems in Los Angeles and elsewhere in the state.

Ever since then, refiners have generally had two different sets of gasoline refining standards - one they use for gasoline intended for sale in California, and another (somewhat looser) for gasoline intended for sale elsewhere.

The benefit to California was that these tighter standards (plus tighter standards for the emission-control equipment on cars sold here) had a big, beneficial impact on air pollution levels in the state (especially in urban areas with restricted air flow - the valley cities such as Los Angeles, Silicon Valley, etc.).

The cost has been... well, higher cost. The refiners don't want to have *all* of their refineries produce gasoline to California standard... doing so is more expensive and would raise gasoline prices in other states. But, with only a limited number of refineries producing gasoline to California standard, we're vulnerable to price spikes if a refinery shuts down due to accident or required maintenance. Because "out of state" gasoline doesn't meet the California quality standards in most cases, it's not possible to simply truck in out-of-state gasoline to relieve a temporary shortage.

Some, but not all of the various fuel-quality standards originally developed by California have been incorporated into the EPA standards which apply country-wide.

Reply to
Dave Platt

The California gas is a nonstandard "clean air" blend. It costs more to make and has limited supply, so when a refinery needs maintanance or something, the price goes up. Maybe that's silly, but the air is way cleaner than it used to be.

You can't be serious about "the most" crooked politics and ignorant citizens, in a country that has Illinois and New Jersey and Louisiana.

San Francisco is full of smart, cool, funny people, people who get it and that I can talk to. That's the main reason I'm here. I felt more at home my first week here than I ever did in Louisiana.

If you don't like California, you can stay away.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Hmm ...

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

.9.

nal

ter

ater

to AZ

I am

. No

allons

tainer

er

er

rom

the Nevada Supreme Court if denied.

Plaintiff's answer to allegation of "Vaxatious Litigation"

A vexatious litigant is someone who does any of the following, most of whic h require that the litigant be proceeding pro se, i.e., representing himsel f:

In the immediately preceding seven-year period has commenced, prosecute d, or maintained in propria persona at least five litigations other than in a small claims court that have been (i) finally determined adversely to th e person or (ii) unjustifiably permitted to remain pending at least two years without having been brought to trial or h earing.

Plantiff have not filed any other claim in this state for the past seven years. Plantiff filed less than 5 claims in other states for the past sev en years.

After a litigation has been finally determined against the person, repe atedly relitigates or attempts to relitigate, in propria persona, either (i ) the validity of the determination against the same defendant or defendant s as to whom the litigation was finally determined or (ii) the cause of act ion, claim, controversy, or any of the issues of fact or law, determined or concluded by the final determination against the same defendant or defenda nts as to whom the litigation was finally determined.

Defendant have never responded and court have never ruled against plaintiff.

In any litigation while acting in propria persona, repeatedly files unm eritorious motions, pleadings, or other papers, conducts unnecessary discov ery, or engages in other tactics that are frivolous or solely intended to c ause unnecessary delay.

Plaintiff filed and served all motions, pleadings and briefs prope rly. Defendant filed but not served plaintiff in numerous occasions. Court did not sanction defendant's "exparta communications"

Has previously been declared to be a vexatious litigant by any state or federal court of record in any action or proceeding based upon the same or substantially similar facts, transaction, or occurrence.

No

Plaintiff moves the District Court of Appeal to reconsider Order to Remand on the ground that claims have exceeded juridical authority of the court b elow.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

They are smarter than to burn up the highest profit part of the company at this time. Check the stock price of producers vs refinery companies. Exxon down from $103 to $81 in one year. Chevron down from $132 to $91 in one year. BP down from $49 to $36 in one year.

Refiners: Headline from July 24th Oil Producers' Ugly Duckling Refineries Just Turned Into Swans Hmm, I can't find any companies that do refinery only, I know their are some. Ah, found Valero (VLO) up 26% in a year, up 45% in 7 months.

I've been following oil producers stocks, thinking I'd purchase when the time was right. As you can see above Exxon, Chevron and BP are down

20% to 30%. I noted today there is an uptick in their prices, I checked oil prices and it's up about $0.40 since our market opened. I'm hoping the low $40's oil price predictions are correct, if oil gets that low, I might be buying. XOM, CVX, or BP. Or an oil Index like, XOP down 51% or OIH down 45%. Wow, those indexes have been beaten down.

Follow oil price.

Interesting article about how the Producer countries are working the situation.

About California; From,

In the past 15 years, California oil refineries collected an average of

46.1 cents per gallon of gasoline sold. But with higher pump prices, state data shows in the first six months of this year, that doubled to 88.8 cents. (oil refiners dispute this)

Just my ramblings, I'm watching the stock market daily for fun, pleasure and because I'm scared! China, the Fed, new Market highs, long bull market, terrorism. Ahh... I've heard it said, "The stock market climbs a wall of worry" That's about right. :-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The oil companies are not always the smartest. They should follow the pricing model of the government. Let someone else do the drilling, refining, exploring and just be the guy at the end of the line collecting a flat per gallon fee.

--

Rick
Reply to