OOOKAY- This Explains Everything- A Woman at the Helm of the Sewol

Kinda silly to study for years to get into a male dominated culture then decide you don't like working with males, no? I know my wife would *far* rather work in a male dominated culture than with a bunch of back-stabbing women (as she has, many times).

The EE group at my CPoE is about 35:2 male, and on the order of

10:10:12:5 (to make the numbers come out right for the pendants, here) white:Asian:Indian:black. In the software groups, it's probably 90% Asians (it is an Asian company) and Indians and 80:20 male.

Griping has it's uses. Push-overs aren't worth much, either, though poor managers like 'em. In the end, the work has to get done.

Penguins and Polar Bears. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Absolutely. Ask those who voted for him.

Nope. Not buying that one, either.

Reply to
krw

I don't mean that good people don't call BS BS, or that they don't fight their own corner. But once the arguments have been heard and the decision has been made, anybody who is still bellyaching and crying "poor me" should either quit or shut up.

I wonder if a penguin has ever met a polar bear, and if so, what the result was. Polar bears eat seals, whose relations eat penguins. Based on the rocks, paper, scissors principle, the penguin would probably eat the polar bear. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm guessing fat polar bears and less penguins, probably a good thing they live at opposite ends of the world

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

But you can be an awkward geeky guy, or the jock class president, and either way not have social barriers to becoming an engineer, or playing with rockets or whatever. Girls have pressures to not do those things.

There's a positive feeedback. If classes and companies are 98% male, females will feel awkward and alone and not get the sort of study-group support that guys have.

My wife's profession is 98% female. Guys who might want to be speech pathologists will have similar disincentives. Positive feedback there, too.

Precision electronic instrumentation

IOW it's an undertaking for a man ...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Narrow the scope of the work and any old 'tard can become competent...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

boring boors...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I didn't get to do much mountain hiking, alpine skiing, or whitewater rafting in New Orleans. Those are more fun than sailing. "Why buy a sailboat, when you can throw your money directly into the water?"

I did try skydiving down there, but that sport has an absurd ratio of waiting-around/actually-doing-it. You're lucky to get a few minutes of air time all day. I can ski from 9 to 4, if I'm in shape for it.

How about you? What Manly Man sports do you engage in?

Precision electronic instrumentation

Well it's certainly a story, I wasn't there.. (and it was years ago mid 80's)

Sure, some women succeed, I don't think that means it's easier for them. My impression is that it's harder. (Men are always having these silly pissing contests.) maybe we can just disagree.

Hmmm.. now you're making canards? (sorry canard is not a word I know well... petards on the other hand :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ting in

ou can

r time

I think it's stupid to risk serious injury or death for sport, that's midli fe crisis stuff. Jumping out of airplanes makes sense if you're military or forest service fire fighter or something like that, otherwise it's dumb. W hite water rafting is another idiocy, if they want to get out in nature, le t them help maintain park trails or plant trees or something.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

In my time as an engineer i met a handful of women that could go toe-to-toe with anybody in this group and expect at least even odds of beating them; except three regulars, Dr, Hobbs, Jeorg, and Jim Thompson. I have met more men that can do that, but it is not often so clear. All the ladies had Fire-in-their-belly.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

In other words, you don't do Manly Things. Sounds like you're afraid of any dynamic activity. Do you get motion sickness?

You don't design electronics, either, do you?

What DO you do?

Precision electronic instrumentation

Got any good recipes for canards?

Precision electronic instrumentation

ting in

ou can

r time

I forgot I will be taking up rope climbing tall trees, it is becoming a fun and games recreation in this country, but I will be doing it for aboracult ural purposes, I only use pruning and timber saws. It is a low risk activit y, unless you're an idiot, but strenuous.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

LOL- not even close, and nothing makes me sick, except for some of your designs...

It's too f'ing BORING for me to waste time on it.

That's just laughable...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Maybe the friend discovered the problem and figured out where to go to fix it.

Dale B. Dalrymple

Reply to
dbd

This newsgroup is weird place - even for electronics engineers. There are some people here who actually work on electronics, and sometimes there are threads about electronics. But if the newsgroup topic is "electronics", then something like 80% of the posts are off-topic. Posts are mostly from a core of old friends and old enemies, with a surrounding group of occasional posters. I doubt if there is anyone "young" lurking here, female or otherwise.

So no, I don't worry about SED - I worry that potential female engineers meet attitudes like Jan and Bloggs in real life, pushing them away from maths, science and engineering from school age upwards.

That would be nice, if there are any such lurkers.

Reply to
David Brown

On a sunny day (Wed, 23 Apr 2014 12:19:14 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

You would think sailing on the lakes here is safe, but yesterday some guys were hit by lighting, was just in the news, seem to be in hospital now...

Was quite a bit of thunder here.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You've been drinking the Fresh-Ade again. Try being a white male in Canada who is interested in engineering. In the local Catholic school that we were looking at for one of our daughters some years ago, the entire advanced math class was female.

Life is full of difficulties for everyone, and folks who are going to fold their tents and tiptoe away are better off doing it sooner than later. The possible hole in that position would be an example of someone who did have a fire in her belly and was successfully discouraged, but I don't know any. Do you?

And do you really believe that a blowhard like Bloggs or a psychotic Dutch uncle like Jan would discourage anybody? (Sorry guys, just making a point here.) ;)

Agreed! I've tried to recruit some, with very limited success so far. Even my Medieval historian-turned-PC-layout-person younger daughter rolls her eyes. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs