OOOKAY- This Explains Everything- A Woman at the Helm of the Sewol

Lightning was a hazard in New Orleans; we got huge, dramatic thunderstorms. We almost never get lightning here, don't know why. Pity, I enjoyed the thunderstorms.

In NOLA there was a ground wire between all the power poles, at the top, above all the power and telephone wires, to catch the lightning strokes. We don't have those here.

Precision electronic instrumentation

I think you're making that last part up. I was in various study groups with women over my school career, and they functioned just like everybody else--helping and being helped. You really need a good study group in physics grad school, because they give you 5 insanely hard problems per week, per class, sometimes more. The usual rule is that you split them up, and after they're solved, everybody shows everybody else how the solution goes. Then everybody writes them up separately. One of the women in my advanced quantum study group was a very striking counterexample to the old saw "beauty times brains equals a constant." She was better at QM than I was, for sure.

She got a doctorate in particle physics at SLAC and now runs a medical radiation device company.

You don't think that there's anything innate working there either? The love of mothers and fathers for their children is probably equal in degree but shows wide between-group differences. Teaching small children not to lisp is a lot more of a mom's job than a dad's, ISTM.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

How is she doing on layout? She will no doubt evolve her own style. Post a board!

Precision electronic instrumentation

teaching small children is mom's job? well, probably. I'm a believer in the principle of a father tolerating/"putting up with" his children until they reach seven. That way, they'll want to grow out of childhood quickly in order to gain his 'acceptance'. Think about it.

Reply to
RobertMacy

She got chucked in the deep end, and has been doing fairly well. She started out on that 10 MHz tweaked-to-the-eyeballs noise canceller, which is full of microwave transistors and has everything connected to everything else with traces that all have to be short. ;)

She's doing the lock-in board at the moment. She'd probably be faster at it if she weren't so polite to me. I try to encourage creative insubordination, e.g. "Are you going to give me a proper BOM anytime soon, or am I going to make stuff up?" ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm glad I didn't grow up in your family. My father loved getting down on the floor to play with us, and I'm the same way. He was the greatest.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Don't get me wrong, by 'tolerate' I mean to not 'cater to' Too many bratty children come out of the latter mode.

I was 'allowed' to accompany even better *if* acted like an adult [see the pressure here?] could accompany everywhere, ask any question, learn learn learn. but not catered to.

I didn't see some of his goals until much later, like, did your father teach you to ice skate? And then encourage your continued 'education' by gladly having you apply those skills inside the house, wearing wool socks and gliding about on the freshly waxed floors, with the 'side' benefit of polishing those wooden floors for mother? shear genius.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Ah, okay, right. Dad's job is to challenge, and Mom's is to nurture. (In very broad strokes, of course--there's lots of overlap.)

You said it. Bratty, incompetent, and fearful, by and large. (Otherwise they're fine.)

One of the most important jobs of a father of sons is to admit them to the guild when they're grown up. A great joy of my life is having a good adult relationship with my children. You're never social equals, of course, but that mutual admiration and confidence in an atmosphere of love is one of the supreme graces of life.

Amen. A good read on this subject is C. S. Lewis's essay, "Men Without Chests".

;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It has always been known that "on average" females are better at math than males. These are MAA statistics BTW. However, the male outliers, in the cap ability direction, are far more capable than the female gender.

Whatever your educational background, it's apparent the emphasis on reading comprehension was inadequate. The original complaint was not with females per se, it was with "unqualified token women" put in positions for purely p olitical or public relations reasons.

Most engineers evolve into physical gender neutral wrecks anyway, so it mak es no difference what they were born with :-)

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:19:47 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Hobbs suffers from the same problem as Slowman, his PhD makes him think he is somehow superior, and the monkey masses buy that. He tries to dazzle some with fuzzy high school math, and solders little opamp circuits. Knows about shit about electronics. ;-) And psychotic ? He does not even know what that word means, zero experience. Probably just brain-dead. Happens already early in the schooling process. Not making a point, making an observation. Did not even understand the thread. Could be polluted NY drinking water too. Rotten education system. Nova bomb time!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I knew that would happen. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Apr 2014 12:17:41 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Yes, clairvoyant too! You are the greatest Phil, really.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's normal!

Sounds familiar. Good, actually.

We got yelled at yesterday by The Brat, during our combined design-review/new-engineer-interview session. We want(ed) to use a 256 ball Altera FPGA, with most of the i/o pins used. She doesn't want to route that, hates that particular chip. So, we'll use the 484 pin version.

For pete's sake, it's a 1 mm pitch part. You could practically roll bowling balls between the pins.

Precision electronic instrumentation
[...]

...etc

If the above diatribe were shown to me as an example of how a man thinks he should respond to people, given the choice I'd rather be a woman.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

On a sunny day (Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:57:37 +0100) it happened snipped-for-privacy@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Adrian Tuddenham) wrote in :

Well, those sex operatiosn are done, nobody is stopping you. If you do not like it once there, just have it changed back. Maybe your insurance covers it, just ask.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, that's what the Tulane biz-dev lady told me. The multiple filter

- smart, interested in engineering, tough enough to practically go it alone in a mostly male culture - reduces the number of female engineers. Well, that was her theory, and that's the business she's in, engineering education.

Tulane has a deliberate program to find the kids who are struggling for personal or educational reasons, and try to help them, sort of the anti-suicide MIT thing.

I was in various study groups

Yeah, they were the ones who made it past the filters. What fraction of those groups were women?

You really need a good study

Sure, a few women do stuff like that. The smart, tough, motivated ones. Filtered.

Uh, it involves a lot more than that. She doesn't do that sort of stuff.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Gee, that sounds familiar. My pat answer is "I give it to you when everyone stops dumping higher priority jobs on me. See the boss."

Reply to
krw

Well, she could just specify a 32-layer board. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'm no more genuinely clairvoyant than you are genuinely psychotic, AFAICT. In the immortal words of Senator Claghorn (*),

'S a joke, son. Jes' a joke.'

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) the inspiration for Foghorn Leghorn