LDO Noise rejection

Same here. So simple it's pathetic. Tells me that your average engineer has no clue of fundamental feedback theory.

Yes :-(

Turns out that this very post is to charge a battery. Why an LDO was chosen I have no clue. The obvious solution (at least to me) is a simple current source plus a voltage cut-off. Current sources rarely have stability issues, and can be made low-headroom if you know what you are doing. ...Jim Thompson

I don't see ANY of Phil's posts, so my apologies.

The only difference between a depletion FET (sometimes called a "native" device") is the threshold... so my equation applies always.

Thus the depletion FET will become a resistor at a small headroom as well.

I've not seen a schematic. Can you provide a link/message-ID? ...Jim Thompson

Actually they are there... "native" device. They just don't appear in the available device list unless you ask. I use them mostly for start-up devices in reference circuits. Then they turn off... giving me better PSRR from my bandgaps. ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

All three terminals "free" ??

I don't think so... top collector??

...Jim Thompson

I can't remember which thread it was and I can't find it. The circuit was one to provide power from a thermocouple in a candle. It may have been lighting an LED, lol.

--

Rick
Reply to

[snip]

Shhhhh! Don't tell Moonbeam, he'll sign a law requiring LED lighting powered by a candle >:-} ...Jim Thompson

The natural/native 0Vt mos are great as "beta" helpers in a bipolar current mirror. i.e. to get the low 1/f noise of the bipolar, but effectively zero base current error of a mosfet.

Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Reply to
Kevin Aylward

Aha! Great idea! I'll have to try it. Sonnuva gun, why didn't I think of that >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Hmm, interesting. I thought those were usually JFETs, but that might be in planar bipolar processes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So you use the FET as a follower on one of the collectors, to drive the two bases? I see, the input-side BJT has enough voltage gain that the loop takes out the FET's noise. That works well the other way round in TIAs--a bit of local feedback will give you the bipolar's drive with the JFET's noise.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a somewhat related tangent, what ever happened to Intel's HMOS process (5V NMOS with depletion mode pullups) -- is there something like that still available, and is it at all useful?

I know, unlimited N/PMOS is probably infinitely more useful ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

On Sun, 5 Oct 2014 16:18:08 -0500, "Tim Williams" Gave us:

Think about how long 5 volt logic swings take.

Now, imagine that being one reason why such potentials were reduced over the years. It was not merely power consumption factors.

Buzzing along a 3.3 volt square wave can be pushed pretty fast. Buzzing along a 5 volt swing square wave runs into limitations which clamp maximum attainable speed quite quickly.

The word for today is "ring".

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The game, now-a-days, is multi-voltage processes. A chip might have a

1.8V "core" (size and speed advantages), a 3.3V I/O (to talk to off-the-shelf peripherals), and a 30V power stage to drive all kinds of interesting things. ...Jim Thompson

Same here. So simple it's pathetic. Tells me that your average engineer has no clue of fundamental feedback theory.

Yes :-(

Turns out that this very post is to charge a battery. Why an LDO was chosen I have no clue. The obvious solution (at least to me) is a simple current source plus a voltage cut-off. Current sources rarely have stability issues, and can be made low-headroom if you know what you are doing.

...Jim Thompson

In the ASIC design we need a li bat charger with a input similar to a LDO. The input will range from 3.6V to 9.0V with most operation at 4.0 V. We did not have room for the inductor of a Buck-Boost, so this limits some operating range. What is the lowest headroom normally attainable in a 30mA CC device with suitable HF rejection to limit bat AC current to

Reply to
Harry D

Maybe there is a concern of RFI ?

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Maybe there is a concern of RFI ?

Jamie

The charging current is 30mA but the noise current drove it to 100mApk at

700KHz. This is implanted under the skin so we worry about heating and bat life.

Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

Harry,

A half volt of 700KHz ripple is a lot easier to kill before it hits the chip, given the kinds of capacitors available nowadays to do just that. Requirement for local decoupling on inputs of ASICS is something designers are used to dealing with, so why not just make them do it? End users will likely just wimp out and apply an external LDO, anyways, if there's the slightest chance that a ($$)chip's performance will become unpredictable.

Getting internal load regulation will be hard enough, as is.

For really good dynamic load regulation a lossy ripple regulator on the output node can be run on the same regulation loop - but this thing is lossy already, so who's to complain?

RL

It is about real estate. Input and output filters take up room and suck dropout voltage. A Proper design should be able to do this in silicon.

Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

I have LED drivers running at 25mA, on and off in 20ns, with 0.3V head-room; but I haven't tested them for PSRR under conditions like you have. ...Jim Thompson

I'm having trouble visualizing how this would be connected and why it is better than a Wilson or a Cascode. Could you post an ASCII drawing or even better a LTspice file to show how it is connected?

Reply to
Tom Swift

Wow... hope I never have to have it implanted... just sayin'...

Tim