Hee! Hee! Hee!

If you don't know why I'm laughing, you're terribly under-informed.

Talk about hope and change... ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "A house divided against itself cannot stand," -Jesus, President Lincoln, President Johnson

Dear Leader Barack Hussein Obama is about to prove it.

VA & NJ, I'm happy for NJ. Finally real change.

Martin Riddle

We had a republican win over the 3 term dem county executive (Westchester, NY). Unfortunately, the city of White Plains election seems to be all taken by dems. One independent challenger for mayor had his petition thrown out by the courts because of a mis-understanding about filing date. Call me suspicious but the only other candidate was endorsed by both parties. A big write-in campaign resulted. We'll see how that works out in the next week.

Oppie

Hopefully our taxes will stop increasing so fast. $12.5k for a raised ranch on half an acre. Sheesh.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Damn! That's about 3X what I pay. But things are starting to get politically nasty around here... I foresee some upcoming "pick-up truck" events ;-) ...Jim Thompson

  Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

Move to Texas. $4.5k (most of it school district tax) for 12 acres with house and barn and no state income tax. I could drop it some if I put a couple of cows out back and took the ag exemption.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

My opinion is property taxes are wrong, once you pay for your home, you should not have to pay the government to live in it. (paying for the rest of your life) Makes me mad just thinking about it! Mike

Reply to
amdx

Vote with your feet. 2.5K (like Joe, mostly school tax) for 8 acres and a not quite complete "shop with living space" ("camp" per the the assesors.) Somewhat less if I actually get to the point of living there

- currently paying the non-resident premium rate. About a 2 hour drive from the commuter train if you need to hit NYC, or an hour from the Amtrak more expensive version. Not the sort of thing you'd want to do daily, but not too bad if you needed to get there once in a while, though I rarely do.

Ecnerwal

Sales tax is the way to go. Exempt basics. Eliminate business taxes. That way, people elect to pay tax when they buy stuff, and imports get dinged just as hard as domestic products. And people have jobs and get paid, so can afford to buy stuff.

John

N.Fl. about 1/2 acre, 3br, 2bath $200.000 range. Property taxes of $832 per year. All of the sudden I feel blessed. Did I mention 72 degrees 50% humidity.

Reply to
amdx

Read what you yourself wrote. You "pay for your home" and are then taxed for the right to live on the property, or ground it sets on.

Check out rental costs on similar properties in the same area, and then quit complaining and thank God that you have it so good.

Bill

Reply to
Garberstreet Electronics

A comparison of the Government vs. the "Mafia":

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

But call it a "purchase" tax, or maybe an "outgo" tax; there seems to be an aversion to the term "sales" taxes.

And additional pluses - the bureaucrats will have to pay their "fair share", along with the guys with all the loopholes.

Make ten million in "income," and you can hide it. Spend it on a ten million dollar yacht, pay a million (or whatever) in purchase tax.

After all, every tax there is ultimately comes out of the pockets of some working stiff - wanna "nail the rich"? Tax their expenditures.

Even tax clothing, except for _used_ clothing, like at thrift shops and garage sales.

But hey, what's ten bucks tax on a $100.00 suit? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

The renter can also "thank God" for the privilege of paying property taxes, by proxy through rent to the owner.

Reply to
flipper

Right now, I "thank God" for a place to live that I can afford, regardless of whether what I pay helps defray the landlord's cost to own the place or not.

Bill

Reply to
Garberstreet Electronics

But there's a message in the results of a few races.

Take a look at the New York 23rd district congressional race. Where the GOP candidate wasn't judged to be "conservative enough" by the crackpot wing of the party. So they* back a third party candidate, the GOP candidate drops out and supports the Democratic candidate and the Dems win.

It appears as though the GOP 'core' is willing to drive off anyone socially moderate, in spite of their fiscal responsibility or pro-business positions. The GOP has been hijacked by nut cases from the trailer parks.

*'They' includes such noteworthy figures as Palin, Beck and Limbaugh.
--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Yep, and they have come up with a whole hit list of other moderate republicans they'd rather replace with democrats, too. 2010 should be interesting. lol

Reply to
Ouroboros Rex

I agree

Ok

Was not picked by any primary.

The so called 'crackpot' made a damn good showing for having no support from either of the 'major' parties. And by "damn good" I don't mean the typical 'third party' 10% 'damn good'. He lost 49% to 45%

You mean, as opposed to having one picked 'for' them?

"For the good of the Republican Party," or so she said.

Says who?

How about checking that bastion of 'right wing kookisness' the Daily Kos?

"Dede Scozzafava, the Republican, is actually the most liberal candidate in the race. (Heck, she has run on the very liberal Working Families Party ballot line in the past.) . . . So it's official, I'm rooting for the Republican to win. As a congresswoman, she could either move even more to the left to properly represent her progressive-trending district..."

Damn irritating trailer dwellers are allowed to vote, aint it? You'd think this was a democracy, or something.

Reply to
flipper

That's nice but the issue was taxes.

Reply to
flipper

You can laugh all you want but the Dems just picked up another house seat. The most significant thing is the loss of the ultra right wing CONservative trying to win the hearts and minds of the republican party. Most republicans (except maybe you) don't want to turn in the direction of Glen Beck and Sarah Palin. Take a hard look at 157 years of being republican, then keep on laughing! Hee Hee

Reply to
Bob Eld