Hee! Hee! Hee!

I won't tell... I want that island to myself ;-)

Enjoy the grand depression by yourself ;-) ...Jim Thompson

PC doesn\'t mean Politically Correct, it means Political Cowardice.

I'll be sure to mention to Obama's men that you need to be on the high-priority list for the GPS tracking implant.

It's for your own good, of course. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Bend over, it'll be painless... the probe goes straight in.... ...Jim Thompson

PC doesn\'t mean Politically Correct, it means Political Cowardice.

That's a marked improvement from the models used in China or Russia; be sure to thank Obama for the upgrade. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

No, there really isn't. The result is the same.

Reply to
krw

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:40:10 -0600, krw wrote: [snip]

Or read the Federalist Papers. A difficult 500+ page read but well worth the effort.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions." --James Madison, Letter to Edmund Pendleton, January 21, 1792

Thomas Jefferson, who promulgated and advocated the very idea of a Federal government, who was there arguing at the table at the Convention as the Constitution was drafted, wrote at length on the meaning of the general welfare clause:

(see 3391-97)

Jefferson says by the "general welfare" language they meant to limit Congress' power to further limit those specific powers in the specification that follow (the "enumerated powers") in the Constitution:

"I hope our courts will never countenance the sweeping pretensions which have been set up under the words "general defence and public welfare". These words only express the motives which induced the Convention to give to the ordinary legislature certain specified powers which they enumerate, and which they thought might be trusted to the ordinary legislature, and not to give them the unspecified also; or why any specification?

He mocks the idea that the general welfare clause be construed as giving Congress the authority & discretion to do anything they wanted:

"They could not be so awkward in language as to mean, as we say, " all and some ".

And thought that a fearful thing:

"And should this construction prevail, all limits to the Federal Government are done away. This opinion, formed on the first rise of the question, I have never seen reason to change, whether in or out of power; but, on the contrary, find it strengthened and confirmed by five and twenty years of additional reflection and experience: and any countenance given to it by any regular organ of the government, I should consider more ominous than anything which has yet occurred." Thomas Jefferson, to Spencer Roane, 1815

The intent of the Founders? It doesn't get much clearer than that.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Just like some of the students! ;-)

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

"Joel Koltner" wrote in news:3FnLm.212681$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-05.dc.easynews.com:

You flunked. losing means you were beaten by the other side,giving up means you defeated yourself.

there's a difference between retreat and surrendering,too. retreat is only temporary.

except it was not "imminent". Even the NV General Giap admitted the North had lost until we took ourself out and dropped support.

you flunked again.

Actually,we never really FOUGHT a war against N.Vietnam;we kinda played around,never put a full effort into it. Political correctness prevented us from attacking the port of Haiphong where NV received arms from the USSR,we never really bombed Hanoi,never invaded the North.

We fought with at least one arm tied behind our backs. Then,after we had them defeated,we crept out,and then DROPPED SUPPORT for the S.Vn regime,which gave the North a second chance.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Joel Koltner" wrote in news:h0oLm.224352$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-02.dc.easynews.com:

Trouble is,with the loss of the US as the main proponent of freedom,the lesser nations will be even more vulnerable to the communist advance.

We already have seen that Obama doesn't suport frfee nations,instead he sucks up to the bad guys.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

yes,there is a big difference. Even while losing,one still has the honor in giving it their best effort,but those who give up threw away their honor. Giving up is cowardice.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hardly. S. Vietnam fell to the communists. Communism advanced. Our military was weakened. Looks like the same thing to me.

That and $4 will buy you a cup of coffee.

Reply to
krw

But look at Vietnam today--like China, the beneficiary a renaissance of free-market capitalism, and an economic boom to match.

IOW, they're abandoning communism, mostly.

In 1776 that difference would buy you a glorious new, free nation such as the Earth had never seen before.

The Revolutionary War itself was mostly a series of defeats, right up to the end.

So don't be a wimp--your country needs you.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I didn't want to pile on whilst everyone pressed you on other fronts, but back to this point on health care, you do realize this chick's financially illiterate, don't you?

She blabbers about the horrible insurance company profits in dollars without giving the percentages, and tells you stupid stuff like:

"In 2003, the HMO industry as a whole reported total earnings of $5.5 billion=97up 83 percent from $3 million in 2002[...]"

without bothering to calculate that a) $3 million is effectively zero profit--which is unsustainable-- b) $5.5 billion is not a large profit, it's on the order of 5% And, BTW, c) $5.5 billion is 1,833% more than $3 million, not 83%. d) Dingbat's formula for overhead is (fudged administration costs) / (benefits paid). By that formula they should double their payments, cutting overhead in half. What a savings!

She's a nitwit. The post she's trying to bury with drivel is better:

re.html

But they both miss the bigger issues and most of the $$s: defensive medicine, fraud, and the distributed overhead thrust on the providers.

Medicare's current fraud losses alone are estimated at $60-80B out of $430 billion. That is, Medicare squanders 14% (as compared to the industry's immoral 5%):

Medicare is a financial disaster, which the President acknowledges. If Medicare's the proof of socialized medicine's efficiency, we're doomed. So said the President, as he pressed for "reform".

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Look at Russia, too. ...but how many millions died in between?

I hardly think that war was micromanaged from London.

Yes, emperor Barak, here's my paycheck.

Reply to
krw

You're a 'Truly Fine Citizen" Jim.

I don't suppose you'll understand the significance of that title, but some here will still remember :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

The key difference between government and business is the the latter is

*unelected*, while the government *is* and is why the power of business must be curtailed to prevent it from doing stuff against the interests of the common good, rather than the shareholder minority.

By the same token, if you get a bad govenment, that's the citizens fault for not being awake and for not ensuring that the right people get elected. The old saying that people get the government they deserve is probably not far off as well :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

That's a great point, but exactly wrong. Business is elected every day, as people prefer the products and services they provide with their money, or not.

The problem being that the government runs the schools, badly.

Awareness? Why, Mr. Koltner's told us he never even had civics. How is he then equipped to rebut or even resist the "general welfare" fallacy, or other specious arguments of politics and economics?

And if he's in that predicament, imagine the 1/3rd of our population that doesn't even graduate high school...

We are at that stage predicted by Tyler roughly 200 years ago:

"A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always vote for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy [...]"

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

.

the=20

=20

you=20

you=20

required=20

(Today=20

checks,=20

slightly=20

died),=20

=20

than it=20

with=20

the=20

as=20

they'd=20

Must you be so insulting and disgusting?

They were entrepreneurs all. A totally different mindset than nanny- state-ism. They expected everyone to try to stand on their two feet.

Reply to
JosephKK

system.http://www.google.com/search?q=3Ddefine%3Aefficiency

Not so much past 1980. And most certainly not since 2003, where government meddling greatly helped create the real estate bubble.

Reply to
JosephKK