Rust removal?

Problem:

Cast iron (non-galvanized) pipe (for Propane gas)

Threads are rusty

What is the best way to clean threads but leave them smooth enough that gas "thread tape" will make a tight connection??

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Naval Jelly.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Thanks, Phil! You sound "experienced" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Cleans rust stains off bathtubs, too. Great stuff.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Boeshield T9 makes stuff to clean and protect cast iron tools from rust.

Reply to
krw

Wire brush in an electric drill. You should not have to use tape to get a gas tight connection. Pipe is tapered threads. Torque it down. Use soapy water solution to verify no leaks. If you have a leak you will get a big bubble quickly. Last resort, I think pipe dope is better for gas connections.

--
Joe Chisolm
Marble Falls, Tx.

Where do you get that stuff? All I ever find is lint.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Nerdy observation: it's not cast, it's mild steel.

If it's really badly pitted you're out of luck -- the metal's gone, removing the rust will just make that apparent. _If_ that's the case (and hopefully it isn't) then you'll have to replace the pipe, or thread it back a bit, or something.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Tried phosphoric acid? That would be my first thought. Also a power wire brush may work OK.

Lot depends on how bad the rust is, however.

Reply to
PeterD

I'd not heard of Naval Jelly before so I checked it out, its active ingredient is phosphoric acid.

I'd go wire brush then phophoric to convert what rust is left.

Reply to
Polyp

Wire brush is the one way. If you have or can borrow the appropriate pipe die, run that down the threads far enough get clean metal. I personally would not use any chemicals on the threads because you don't know the long term effect of these on the joint. Use Teflon filled pipe joint compound rated for gas to insure the best seal.

Reply to
Bob Eld

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh-oh, I see it coming. Uncle Leroy is visiting, walks into the yard, whips out a nice cigar, cuts it, take out the lighter ... *KABLOUIE*

Like Bob suggested, if it was my pipe I'd properly re-thread. If you have a neighbor who has a plumbing truck parked in his driveway I'd walk over with a nice bottle of wine in hand :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg, You certainly have a *KABLOUIE* fixation!

Propane is heavier than air, and the structure is appropriately vented for that condition.

This ain't a blue collar neighborhood... next door neighbor is an anesthesiologist; across the street works for McCain's wife... beer operations; limousine company owner; real estate agent; motorcycle racer; Intel engineer (he's moving back to CA).

But I do own a set of dies and taps (I'm probably the only blue-tinged home owner... besides the motorcycle guy ;-)

The rust is light, just annoying. ...Jim Thompson

The health bill from Obama and the Democrats is so full of subter-
fuge and obfuscation that we are forced to judge it solely by the
smell... Ewwwwwwh!  Stinks of mendacity and unwashed weenies :-(

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

it may work in theory but in reality the thread just isnt made that accurate so there need to be something to fill the tiny gaps to make it gas tight. And sometime you don't have the option of just tighting the connection more to get rid of leaks, if it is for example and elbow or a tee you have to get it in the right postion too

don't think I have ever seen a tapered thread assembled with out some for of sealing

-flax/hemp fiber and some kind of paste, usually for water and such, takes a little practice but it can be adjusted and still get tight.

-teflon tape, easy but it is a one way operation, if you go to far you'll have to start over.

-loctite or similar, simple and it can be adjusted, but it need time to cure before it can take full pressure.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Maybe get the phosphoric acid from a hydroponics shop.

Come the revolution it may have other applications.

Reply to
richard

It seems it'd be a lot less PITA to just go down to the local home improvement store and pick up a new piece of pipe.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've seen gas lines that were welded. Presumably, they didn't do the welding while there was gas in the line. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Unless said piece of pipe is sticking out of a foundation wall ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Integral piece of barby. Rusted only where threaded :-(

...Jim Thompson

Wire brush it and paint it to keep it from rusting again. Make sure to use a good primer to seal the pits, first. Another way is to use a clear spray acrylic paint to make it look like the rest of the pipe.

Every time I've run pipe for any gas, I was required to use teflon tape before they would even inspect it. Pipe dope was illegal, because it dries out and cracks. It will pass natural gas, methane or propane a lot easier than water. As far as the comment about just tightening the pipe without a sealant? That is suicidal.

Michael A. Terrell