4x15W Audio Amplifier in Desktop PC

'And it works very well, which is the important point!'

Shouldn't this been mass produced dirt cheap ever since PCs played movies and music...??? Like this..

Yet there's almost nothing to chose from at my local computer shop. The only thing is this card. Class T? (I stopped reading at Class D.)

Which leads me to believe that powered speakers and classic boxy audio amps rule these days.

I suppose power amps in PCs never took off..

D from BC Amateur smps designer British Columbia, Canada Posted to sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

I remember seeing some Compac models years ago that had the power amplifier on the motherboard.

I guess the way it is now allows more options for the end user. I certainly wouldn't want to use an on-board amp.

--
- Mike
Reply to

Why not? Too much noise? (EMI and ground loop) Insufficient power? (Only 12V available with lots of current) Too much Class AB heat in case? (Some Class AB amps do have low power sleep mode.) No knobs to play with?

Reply to
D from BC

The NEC/Packard Bell sound cards had on board amplifiers to drive non amplified speakers.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

In my case I run the on-board sound and a multi-channel sound card into a mixer and monitor it with a 200W per channel amp.

Not if designed properly. I've designed a device with 4 x TA7294s and a motherboard in it that passed EMC testing.

Some of the modern MOSFET amplifier ICs used in car audio do quite an impressive job from 12V, but yes, there are people in similar situations to me that would still need line level signals.

I don't think that would be a problem.

I certainly don't like software volume controls. When the machine is running hard there is an annoying lag.

You forgot "cost", which I'm sure plays a large part in consumer computers. :-)

--
- Mike
Reply to

The main problem would be the power supply, if you want multi channel

10's of watts rms into 8 ohms. The most a standard psu could provide would be the +/- 12v rails, which won't be enough. The +12 is usually in the 10's of amps range, but the -12 is much lower, perhaps 5 amps or less. So, the problem is not a high enough voltage to give the required swing and also available current. The other thing is that a class ab amp, with supply current following the signal, may not be good for the hdd, which tends to like stable power within tightly defined limits.

An external power amp + speakers + sound card line out is a far better bet, imho...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

For music at my desk,... I seldom peak out at 0.25W per channel applied to my book shelf woofers. (Assuming 4ohm Z) I digital scoped my woofer, cranked volume to comfy level and used display persistence to see V peaks.

A bridge amp on 4ohms can deliver ideally a peak of 12V^2/4=36W. It's not rock concert power but its good enough for me.

btw.. I run a SSD(solid state disk) in my PC. I think a power amp and the ssd will get along fine on the same 12V bus.

Reply to
D from BC

If that's all that's required, but the title was 4x15w, which a pc power supply would have trouble with, especially if it's rms power numbers. Also, you won't get 12v p-p. Probably more like 10 volts linear range if you are lucky.

Not that I should nit pick. If it works, use it :-)...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I think you mean 24Vpp.. Ideally a bridge amp on a 12Vsuppy can do +12Vpeak and -12Vpeak on the load. (Supply polarity flipper.) Power is a problem when there's not enough power from the power supply. For ex. My Corsair PC supply has a rating of 33Amps, 12V. My video card uses more power than a 4x15W amplifier at loud clipping. And there are crazy 1000W computer supplies available if one goes power mad.

Some automotive amp modules claim rail to rail operation. Guessing 11.5Vpeak.

Reply to
D from BC