Florescent light bulbs?

--
No doubt made from wheat or maize?
Reply to
John Fields

retard:

Autymn D. C.

Nobody knows what the hell that means other than that the NSA redacted it from retards at Berrkley.

zzbunker

you

where

No, why is it interesting? ...and what does it have to do with AlGore's serial lies?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Yes, ARPANET goes back to before Gore was in Congress. But the Internet as we know it today is a lot more than a tool for letting research institutions communicate with eachother. The High Performance Computing Act, which Gore introduced, created a lot of the fiber optic infrastructure that made the Internet ubiquitous. At the time, I think most people in the US who were on any networks at all were on systems like Compuserve and Prodigy, which were mostly using X.25 networks, not TCP/IP.

Gore did take the initiative, both as a Senator and as Vice-President, to see policies put in place to bring the Internet into American homes. So, when he said he "took the iniative to create the Internet", I don't think he was lying. The statement was taken out of context.

Reply to
Satori

Disk Armey deliberately lied about Gore's statement. The rushsheep are still bleating in agreement.

Reply to
Richard Henry

How brightly? Does it light up a room? With what sort of energy efficiency? Has there been any significant phosphor degradation?

There are "induction" fluorescents such as "Icetron" and "QL", where life is limited by phosphor degradation. The degradation can be slowed by making the lamps larger (which would be more expensive).

I do suspect that they aren't that hard to duplicate - just send an engineer familiar with fluorescent lamp manufacturing to the Tesla museum to have a look at that thing!

Don Klipstein

What Gore actually said was that he "took the initiative in creating the internet".

I say not as bad as an exaggeration as that of his opponents, since he was the main force in the Senate for expanding it from the Aarpanet back in the days when it was often called the "Information Superhighway".

Don Klipstein

How about $5 or less for compact fluorescents?

Although in my experience it takes at least 25, usually at least 26 watts of compact fluorescent wattage to match a 1710 lumen "standard" 100 watt 120V incandescent.

Don Klipstein

Don Klipstein

LEDs are advancing faster, and the latest Cree ones, even at real-world temperatures, do have efficiency close to that of compact fluorescents when given 1 watt each.

Problem is, these LEDs probably have cost in the same ballpark as compact fluorescents, so 15 of them to replace a 60 watt incandescent is going to be expensive. The color is also not as good as that of compact fluorescents.

Watch for some mean flashlights to appear with these soon, however! And watch for further advances in LEDs over the years - I expect to see some actually practical household lightbulbs with LEDs in my lifetime!

Don Klipstein

The lifetime-efficiency tradeoff in incandescents does get done in the longer life direction also.

There are "industrial service" ones rated to last 3500 hours in addition to having a more vibration-resistant filament, and light output is down something like 25-30%. There are traffic signal ones rated to last 8,000 hours, and light output is down something like 35% compared to 750-1000 hour incandescents. Bed, Bath and Beyond sells incandescents rated to last 10,000 hours, with an even further compromise in efficiency and light output. Some traffic signal incandescents are 130V versions, and at 120V their life expectancy would be about 20,000 hours - with energy efficiency at 120V a little over half that of 750 and 1,000 hour

120V incandescents of similar wattage.

Don Klipstein

Nah - gasoline doesn't ignite by cigarette - not even the vapor. I saw some guy who was working on a gas tank; he had taken it out of the car, and dumped all the gasoline into a 5 gal. bucket (it was only about an inch or so deep.) He was smoking. I asked, "Is it true that a cigarette won't light gas?" and he kind of sneered at me, and flicked his stub into the bucket of gasoline. It went "Fsst!" and went out.

I didn't find out if he poured that quart or so of gasoline (with the butt in it) back into the tank. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The marketed ones are usually called "induction lamps".

Examples:

Philips "QL" Sylvania's "Icetron" GE's "Genura"

Don Klipstein

Edison did not make it, but other than that it's true:

Its energy efficiency is probably horrible.

European 230V lightbulbs operated at 120V can easily last a century, but with something like 1/4 of the energy efficiency of 120V incandescents operated at 120V, maybe even a little less!

Don Klipstein

I know gasoline usually cannot be ignited by a cigarette, but the temperature of the burning tobacco is not always the same! Also, gasoline formulations vary, and so may the temperature required to ignite the vapor.

On the other hand, diesel's vapors do not reach a flammable concentration in ordinary situations - toss a burning match into a bucket of diesel and it will go out. (Then again, I prefer to not bet my life or lack of a hospital visit that the forces of Murphy's Law won't find a way to make something go wrong.)

Don Klipstein

nitpick...ARPA was not "expanded". Back then commercial netwoks and defense networks existed. However, they could not use each other's gear for traffic. The bill that Gore co-authored, among other things like introducing new fees, also removed the national security restriction that kept the two networks separate.

It was a Very Bad Thing to allow comm data packets from a commercial site to stray onto the ARPA network. We were in the cold war and were still learning about how many layers of protocol and their specifications were necessary.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

just

60%

Wow! I don't pay that.

The lumen specs may be equivalent but my aging eyes can't see as well with the compacts. I still have a 60W to fill in the spectra gap. (and I think I just spelled spectra wrong.)

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Well, it won't explode, but it will burn, albeit with a really dirty, greasy, sooty orange flame.

And isn't it almost the same as kerosene? That certainly burns in a lantern. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

To say nothing of the people who propounded that "Gore said he invented the Internet" canard, anyway, no?

I mean, I heard of the Internet first in an article in *Time* covering a Senate hearing conducted by *Al Gore*. In fact, it's gone so far that pulling out the old "can't trust Gore" meme is cause for suspicion all in itself.

--
"There is no excellent beauty which hath not some
strangeness in the proportion."  --Sir Francis Bacon