Florescent light bulbs?

So if your supplier's generator goes down, do they send people around to shut down their customers?

Reply to
Richard Henry

Pure H2O in the atmosphere is self-correcting. Perhaps you have heard of rain?

Reply to
Richard Henry

LEDs aren't there yet, efficiency or color constantness wise, though they can do very well if directed light or low power is needed.

The efficiency given is often at 25 degrees chip temperature. But with the chip dissipating a watt or more, the junction temperature is quite a bit higher.

But a mixture of gallium and arsenic is not very friendly either. We'll see when LEDs win from gas discharge - or maybe MH lamps take over.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

tesla's lamp is basically a short electrodeless neon tube, a foot or so long filled with willemite (copper doped zinc sulfide) phosphor , driven by a spark gap excited tesla coil. So wonderful if you like a bright green light. He didnt invent it either, he made a matching network for one of his coils to drive it.

I have a few 1960's 40 watt Sylvania tubes with a enhanced willemite coating, probably very, very , cheap on the electric bill, ie great bang for the buck, as the yellow green is at the peak of the daylight vision curve, they are really bright for the current consumed, make a decent sized room painful to be in, but what a nasty color for most tasks. Its so bright it will give you a migrane.

One of them does a decent job of lighting a 1 acre back yard. Much brighter then my 70 watt HPS. (thats high pressure sodium lamp, if you feel gothic)

So yes, nutcase tesla freak, I'd be glad to sell you a accurate , modern implementation of the tesla lamp, with one spare tube, huge line filter and RF ballast, for say 5000 US Dollars. Only glitch is it is hot cathode, but whats a few glass to metal seals gonna hurt. ;-)

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

So adding excess man-made water to the atmosphere has no effect on weather?

Now THAT'S a greenie weenie conclusion.

...Jim Thompson

Tim,

I believe the 4 packs of GE compact fluorescents are $9.99 at your local Wally World --> $2.50 each.

I haven't seen the kind of prices Graham is quoting for non-"no name" bulbs.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Generally, no.

Reply to
T Wake

I understznd that in Arizona, an unexpected rainstorm can be an environmental disaster. However, in most ofthe world, the amount of excess rain produced by all human endeavor to date just washes a little more oil off the streets.

Reply to
Richard Henry

When's he going to come on FireFox?

I thought that the energy consumption of flourescents was much lower than for incadescents. A 20% savings sounds trivial.

"Last longer and use less energy" v. "cost more". This is what's called a "trade-off".

They're doing a damn poor job. Not only can I buy them at Home Depot, Target, Menard's, and my local grocery store, but my parents and grandparents were able to do so as well.

Okay, so they're not keeping them off the market then. Glad to have you confirm that.

It sounds as if they're worth more if they'll last longer. (It seems to me that I've heard that there is a light bulb, made by Edison, that has been continuously burning since he made it. I can't find a citation for it, though.)

There are now fluorescents that do screw in, for use in lamps.

I most recently changed the light bulb in my back hallway (outside the bedrooms) in 1990.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include

Well, if my electricity generator goes down, so does everyone.

Generation is done seperatly to supply. A "company" can't remember if the government owns part or all. They sell it wholesale (so many millions of units for so much) to the supply companies. Basicly the supply companies have as much as they need, and the customers just suck it down. The generating companies bill the supply companies for what they use, the supply companies bill the end users for what they use.

Powerstations are owned by the generating "Company", they are scattered all arround the UK, and they are all connected to a national network with some storage overcapacity. Probably not as much as needed, but some.

Gas is similar, but the gas provided by private companies into a national pipeline network and sold on by supply companies and the pipe network is owned and operating seperatly from the drilling and pumping out of the ground, and the supplying and billing to the end users. Very very complicated.

--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Hmmm, I don't know about that.

20W Fluorescent life 6000 hours (standard) cost $10 (I'll take your figure, but am aware that it is probably higher than you need pay) Cost of 1KwH maybe around 10c lifetime electricity usage 120KwH = $12 total cost 22$

100W incandescent for 6000 hours you'll get through 6 bulbs, maybe $3 electricity usage = 600KwH = $60 total cost $63.

Each fluorescent bulb saves over $40.

I'm not sure about the domestic cost of electricity where you are, I've seen

10/KwH and used that as a realistic round figure.

has figures from 2003, which suggest prices varied between 6 and 12 c/KwH (depending on state), but it looks like electricity is more expensive where more people live. And that was 3 years ago. Even at the lowest price point, a fluorescent bulb would save $17 over its lifetime.

Your choice of course, but you've seen the maths.

Reply to
OG

I think its more 80%, the CFL's ive got in my flat use 20% of the electricity (ie 20w as opposed to 100w) of a fillament bulb of similar luminoscity.

Plus they only cost more up front, ive saved more in not buying fillament bulbs (ei the number of blown bulbs I would have replaced by now) than ive paid for in CFL bulbs over the past 5 years.

I'd say CFL's are better -value for money- (something a lot of people seem to ignore in favour of "cheapest available" these days)

Thats before you take the cost of electricity into consideration.

I cant beat that, but I do still have flourescent bulbs burning in my flat which have moved around with me from home to home over the past 5 years.

Reply to
Mark Fortune

You either cluelessly, or more likely purposefully (since that's the greenie weenie way), evaded my question...

"So adding excess man-made water to the atmosphere has no effect on weather?"

...Jim Thompson

One of the major problems in all hydrogen vehicles would be the flooding in thruway low spots.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

And the number of centuries it takes a closet light to go through 6000 hours is...?

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Tesla is famous for being an unknown genius.

Any time.

-- Rich

Reply to
RichD

Are all the bulbs in your house still in the closet? Is there something you're not telling us? :-)

Reply to
OG

Wouldn't that depend on whether they're out of the closet, or not?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Tesla is a very well know genius. He was a tad excentric but his work produced a.c. motors and generators along with power transmission systems. Also Tesla invented wireless communication even before Marconi.

He was a tad monomaniacal concerning the wireless transmission of electrical power.

Bob Kolker

Reply to
Bob Kolker

Maybe from that paragon of honesty who claimed he invented the internet...

Reply to
ehsjr