Opera in kiosk mode

Has anybody used Opera in kiosk mode on an embedded system?  We're looking
at doing so, with X.  But we need our application to control Opera by
sending it URLs and mouse moves/clicks.  Where can we get information on
how to do that?  I assume it's an X thing.

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _

Why don't you ask Opera support?

Anyway, to generate X keyboard/mouse events, use the xlib XSendEvent
function.
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Re: Opera in kiosk mode

For sending X keyboard/mouse events, you may also want to investigate
use of the Xtst extension, and its corresponding functions
(XTestFakeKeyEvent(), etc.).  These functions are usually preferred
over XSendEvent() since some applications are too smart for their
own good and don't respond well to XSendEvent() events.

Here's an excellent page explaining the issue:

http://www.handhelds.org/z/wiki/GeneratingSyntheticEvents

Controlling Opera, however, is probably beyond the scope of simulating
keyboard/mouse events.  You'll definately want to check into some
Opera-supported means of remote-controlling the browser.

David

--
David Simmons
"Today is a fine day for science!" -- Dexter

Re: Opera in kiosk mode
On 11 Sep 2003 16:33:05 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@usenetmail.davidsimmons.com

Hey, that'll help me too.  Thanks!
--
Alex Pavloff - remove BLAH to email
Software Engineer, ESA Technology

Re: Opera in kiosk mode

Hmm, I'm not sure if there's a good book covering modern X
topics.  Back in the day, the definitive reference was the set of
O'Reilly books about X, such as this one which was written back
in 1992:

Volume 1: Xlib Programming Manual
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/v1/index.html

This Xlib book is probably the most practical book of the series.
The "Volume 0: X Protocol Reference Manual" book is probably
still relevant, but probably not useful to most folks since
programmers seldom interact directly with X Protocol.  The books
about X Toolkit Intrinsics (Xt) and Motif are probably not
terribly relevant these days, especially for embedded developers.

There may very well be some good books out there on modern X
topics such as video, fancy extensions (like Xtst), etc., but
I've had to learn about these things from materials available on
the Internet.

David

--
David Simmons
"Today is a fine day for science!" -- Dexter

Site Timeline