Florescent light bulbs?

Al Gore came on Opera yesterday and said we could save 20% of the energy our light bulbs use if we switched to more expensive florescent bulbs. These bulbs last longer you know. But are you aware that the light bulb companies are conspiring to keep florescent bulbs off the market? They charge you more for them already, but Tesla invented a florescent bulb that is still burning in the Tesla Museum 50 years later. If we all used his bulbs we would never have to worry about screwing in light bulbs. So the answer to the most important question of the day: How many scientists does it take to screw in a light bulb? Really should be none. Because we don't have to ever change our light bulbs in an ideal world.

But can anyone tell me how I can get a hold of one of these Tesla bulbs?

Reply to
CoreyWhite

We save only 20 percent compared to incandescents ?

There must be something about Tesla stories that magnetically attracts funny maths.

Sue...

Reply to
Sue...

From the green fairy ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Sno-o-o-ort ;-)

...Jim Thompson

20%, is what Al Gore said. He would know better than me. What do you think the electric power needs of the florescents would be? And where can I buy a Tesla Bulb?
Reply to
CoreyWhite

If you live out in the boonies where the power fluctuates the florescent bulbs only last twice as long as 'regulars'. Given how much extra they cost that's not too good of a deal. Given that they seem to embody more energy used to produce I suspect that it's not a good deal in terms of total energy used, either.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I like Al Gore's scifi movie, "An Inconvenient Truth" where he preaches about the myth of global warming from the backseat of his armoured,

7mpg limousine.
Reply to
rander3127

I think you need to listen again. Fluorescent bulbs save 80% compared to incandescent bulbs.

For the cheap flurescent bulbs there is a possible problem because they take a few minutes to achieve full brighness, so they are not so good for a basement / loft area where you usually want 100% brightness from the first moment, but in areas where the light is generally 'on', you'll make big savings.

I have a rule of thumb that each bulb saves about £10 / $20 each year if they are 'main' lights for an area.

Reply to
OG

He is wrong about a lot of his theories. He claims that global warming is caused only by C02 gasses, when in fact all greenhouse gasses are a problem, and ozone depleting gasses as well. Hydrogen eats away at the ozone and the pure H20 steam from nuclear power plants is a greeen house gas. Even the electric vehicle would just drain the power grid and cause problems if we were all using them. The only real solution is to curb population, because even if we all switch to florescent light bulbs there will be 10 million more americans than there are today in just a few years. But you don't here al gore talking about celibacy do you?

Reply to
CoreyWhite

Wrong about the myth. GW is most probably real - if it wasn't the Petro companies wouldn't be channeling millions into 'independent organisations' to attempt to rubbish it.

Reply to
OG

nt

on

lb?

ght

ake

80%?? No way!! That is like a FREE ENERGY MACHINE!!! Are you telling me that we can take what's left over from the 20% of the energy it uses, and use it to power the rest of the appliances in our house?? WHO NEEDS SOLAR POWER!!!
Reply to
CoreyWhite

Are you able to produce a direct quote where Al Gore says that GW is caused ONLY by CO2 ?

Reply to
OG

cent

the

he

tion

bulb?

light

take

rst

if

Reply to
Sue...

If a standard 100W incandescent bulb has a rated lifetime of 1000 hours it'll use 100Kwh over its life, The fluorescent equivalent uses 20W and (according to your claim) lasts just

2000 hours, so it uses 40Kwh over its life, which represents at least a 60% saving.

However, one of the features of the boondocks is that NOT MANY PEOPLE LIVE THERE, so since most people can expect 5-8,000 hours from the same bulb, they'll get 60 - 80% saving per year per bulb.

Reply to
OG

The bulbs are offered exclusively to members of the Tesla Church of the Latter Day Crackpots.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Actually, the savings may be negative.

A fluorescent closet light is LESS efficient than an incadescent when total lifteime costs are considered.

In general, fluorescents make sense if the lamp is continuously run more than four hours a day.

A reasonable guess is that fluorescents are only cost effective in ONE HALF of most home light sockets.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Yeah, and Edison's light bulb has been burning at his lab for 50+ years too.

You might want to read up on the relationships between bulb efficiencies and lifetimes; it's generally an inverse relationship (both for incandescents and flurorescents, it's just that fluorescents start off much better).

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Tesla is the patron saint of the Church of the Latter Day Crackpots.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

My experience is more like 60%, but I could believe that with large scale installations and careful attention to design you might come closer to 80%.

Some of them are better than others in this respect; you can obtain full brightness almost immediately (a few seconds) if you're willing to sacrifice efficiency and/or lifespan a little.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Should be the other way around. Fluorescent should last much longer than expected.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson