Florescent light bulbs?

Alright, that's at least twice that this one has come up now. Gore never said that (You physics types may be comfortable with that kind of sloppy thinking, but here in alt.gothic we hold people to a higher standard):

Joseph Brenner

Global warming is happening, and will happen because planet Earth is still emerging from another major glaciation. Unless another volcano blasts a metric buttload of SO2 into the atmosphere ushering in another dark ages as in 635 AD. Mankind is such a bunch of babies thinking they have any influence over anything. Wankers. Maunder Minimum. Little Ice Age. Google it and weep. Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein in 1816, the year without a summer because of a volcanic eruption. Throw another log on the fire, I'm feeling a bit chilly.

--
Michael Press
Reply to

or

ng,

ing

use

Well, you shouldn't discount all that free electric heating you get with incandescents (it's free, because you've already attributed the cost to lighting). In the winter that waves on fuel bills, and in the summer it help our airconditioners run longer, to efficiently dehumidify the air.

[This message brought to you by the Incandescent Bulb Manufactuers Association]
Reply to
Edward Green

But it is a good way to make us pay taxes. And like good little sheep, the majority of joe public and wife will bend over to recieve their orders. I'm no science major but I know enough to know this is a cyclic planet, and while cooling killed the dinos but not us (at different times) because we could adapt. We have to adapt again, not adapt the planet. That can't be done.

--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

One way to warm your house is to pile 3' of shit around the base. The tradeoff is clean feet and bugs.

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

CoreyWhite wrote:

Perhaps he really said we could save 20% off our TOTAL energy consumption by switching to compact fluorescents.

Reply to
redbelly

That number sounds wrong. 20% in Las Vegas..maybe. But not total energy. How much of our total electric power is used up in transmitting it?

/BAH

Reply to
jmfbahciv

Ah! A refreshing breeze of intelligence!

Did anyone see "Mini Ice Age" on the History Channel a few nights ago?

...Jim Thompson

Why should that matter? Savings at the consumption end should result in proportional savings in transmission.

Reply to
Richard Henry

It's only "free" if you have electric heat rather than natural gas or fuel oil, both of which are cheaper. Even then, it's arguably not quite as good as a floor heater, since most of the heat will stay up on the ceiling where the lamp is rather than being forced down to circulate among the people -- I imagine draftier homes or a ceiling fan may mitigate this, however.

That being said, for people with electric heating, in winter I think running a few spare PCs on BOINC or something similar is a pretty good idea!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Association]

Reply to
Edward Green

No, warmer air due to lighting makes the thermostat kick on less often reducing your consumption of gas or fuel oil.

Reply to
mensanator

Sure, but it's still cheaper to buy 1kWh of heat from the gas or fuel oil company than it is from the electric company!

A more interesting comparison might be how efficiently you can light a room with gas!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Hold on there.

With incandescents, a huge percentage of wasted output takes the form of near-infrared light. Look at a spectrum plot for a typical bulb. NIR is basically the same as red light, so if the fixture reflects light well, then it probably reflects NIR. Both NIR and visible light will heat the surfaces in the room.

((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty Research Engineer beaty a chem.washington.edu UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 billb a eskimo.com Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700 ph425-222-5066

Bill Beaty

Just bombard a small organic object with a few KW of plasma streamers. It'll disappear! Then you'll spend quite some time searching for the duplicate version. In which direction was it projected? Perhaps you'll need a shovel. :)

((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty Research Engineer beaty a chem.washington.edu UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 billb a eskimo.com Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700 ph425-222-5066

Bill Beaty

And how many kilowatts went up the chimney?

Reply to
mensanator

organisations'

Here is another one. In 1348 the black plague was endemic. It did not `just happen.' That time marked the end of a very warm period in northern Europe during which the population grew very much larger than before. Then the climate got cold and wet, crops failed, famine roamed the land, and people were going to die. The black plaque was the proximate cause.

--
Michael Press
Reply to

In a modern furnace, very few... they're something like 90-95% efficient.

In a 40 year old furnace, plenty... electric just might beat those out.

I'm still waiting for someone to chime in that heat pumps (for heating) are really the way to go if you're in a milder climate. I've never had one, but it seems that people either think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread -- significantly saving on heating bills -- or just snake oil. (Although interestingly no one thinks air conditioners are snake oil...)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

They don't think it's snake oil, exactly; it's more like, "Well, how the hell do you pump heat OUT OF that freezing cold out there, into the (relatively) warm room?" - i.e., it's kinda counter-intuitive, like a gas refrigerator.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

George Washington?

Assuming your premise is true, your conclusion doesn't follow: what follows is that PC's (petroleum companies) accept that the perception of GW (global warming) is real, and may hurt their BI's (business interests).

Reply to
Edward Green