Light bulbs as a heater

I am looking to whip up a cheap heater to cover a smaller enclosed area where some pipes are. What i thought of doing was using two 100 watt lights and maybe a surplus muffin fan or such. Now, my thought was to connect the two 100 watt bulbs in series. My theory on this (fact or not) is that normally the incandescent bulbs are good for 1000/1500 hours or so. putting them in series should increase the life hours due to derating and burning the tungsten less bright. I don't care about the light output, just that they generate some heat. ANy thoughts?

BOB

Reply to
Bob Urz

There are heat tapes which generate just enough heat to keep a pipe from freezing. You wrap them around the pipes, which makes them a lot more effiecent than heating the air around them. If you shop around you can find them in both low voltage (12v?) and line voltage.

The low voltage ones use more expensive wire, and some sort of transformer, so there is some loss, but it may be cheaper and safer than running line voltage to the pipes.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

go get your self some heating tape. That is what's made for. it's much more effective and uses less energy to keep the pipes from freezing.. you'll find it in hardware stores.

--
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

It'll work, bulb life increases exponentially as voltage drops, along with a corresponding drop in efficiency of producing visible light, but that's to your benefit in this case.

It does seem like pipe heating tape would work better, but I haven't seen your situation so maybe the bulbs are a better option.

Reply to
James Sweet

When I was growing up on the farm 50 years ago, we built a small 'house' about 6'x6' by 4' high to contain our wellhead, pressure tank and associated plumbing and wiring. The entire affair was well insulated and contained a 300(?) watt heat lamp, which we turned on when the temps got too low. We should have used some sort of thermostat solution, but the low tech method was sufficient to keep anything from freezing.

Heat tape would have been a mess with all that plumbing, and wouldn't have protected the tank, anyway. Going inside of the structure required unbolting one entire end of it, but whenever we did, it was toasty in the coldest weather.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

This will work nicely, especially if you have a maze of pipes rendering heat-tape impractical, or you cannot afford the initial cost of the heat tape. But, be SURE to put some sort of external indicator such that you will have a visible cue if there is a lamp or fuse failure. You might find that critters are drawn to the heat and might chew something they shouldn't.

You may not need a fan if the area is tight enough - and it adds another failure point in any case. It also serves well to insulate the pipes in addition to providing the heat, again if you can.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Bob.. I had a small pump house years ago that would freeze up. Cured the problem by using a heat lamp and a thermostat that was set at 32 degrees. So I would know if lamp was off or burnt out I made a hole near top of enclosure and covered with glass . Also put a neon bulb across the thermostat contacts. If the thermostat was open and the heat lamp good the neon would light. If heat was required and all was working I could see the red glow. This I could see from house. If no lights, power was off. Saved from freezing. Warren

Reply to
Warren Weber

Wrap heat tapes around the pipes. They have built in thermostats so it won't come on until the water temp is 38 degrees or less. Then wrap the heat tapes with insulated aluminum tape. Works fine, last a long time. Much cheaper than running light bulbs all the time.

Reply to
Broderick Crawford