EV to ICE Transition

Google images, snow New England.

Reply to
jlarkin

No doubt the charger service will be all diesel powered.

I wonder what a say, 50 mile away service will charge for all that. It would probably be cheaper and faster to call a tow truck.

Reply to
jlarkin

Yet you have nothing factual to say to refute any statements... statements I'm not aware of. Doesn't matter what voices you are hearing. Seems like the ones in your head are speaking pretty loudly about how hard driving EVs will be. Good thing those voices are wrong.

That is typical FUD. It does pollute some to build anything. It pollutes to type this message. The added pollution from building EVs is not significantly different from building ICE. If there are specific problems created from the development of new sources of various minerals for batteries and EV motors, then we can address those issues. No need to wave arms overhead and cry "disruption, war...".

The good news is while fossil fuels must be exploited in proportion to the amount we consume energy, the materials to build EVs are a much smaller quantity required to build the vehicles. The ownership cost of an ICE has approximately equal costs for the vehicle and the fuel. EVs are a bit more expensive to buy, but save a lot on energy. Overall the pollution impacts are similar, a bit more on the car, a lot less on the energy.

Reply to
Rick C

The next iteration will be to get rid of all the complex and expensive electrical bits.

Reply to
jlarkin

No, but four tiny pump stations are the norm. Tiny stations that sell milk, beer, coffee cigarettes and food to go... miniature Sheetz.

Don't know why any of that matters. These places literally make no money on the gas. They make their money on the other stuff they sell.

What does any of that have to do with EVs?

Reply to
Rick C

Wow! Someone woke up cranky this morning. Irrational too. I guess it's a morning thing... and an afternoon thing... and an evening thing for Larkin.

Reply to
Rick C

Some grocery stores like to install smart-locks on all their carts, dig up the dirt and run an antenna all around the property to lock them if one goes off-site.

Due to odd geometry of the plot whomever installed the system at this one store near me ran the line very close to the area by the entry where empty carts are stored. And someone also set the antenna gain too high for that geometry, maybe the installer themselves who just keys in some default setting.

So one day someone tripped the system and every cart in the storage area locks up and nobody could figure out how to get them unlocked for hours. Wonder how long it had been set up wrong, maybe months.

Reply to
bitrex

That one F-up probably cost them more in profit due to lost business for the time customers were bailing on that store and their locked-up carts than five years of stolen carts.

Reply to
bitrex

Well, everybody is half right and half wrong. Yes, you can do it with a diesel charger at level 2, but it would take hours. To do it right, you need a big battery truck with fast charger, which is very expensive to keep and maintain. Auto service like AAA have considered it, but they decided that it's just more cost effective to tow to the nearest charging station.

Reply to
Ed Lee

I theory, not as much of a problem in cities, but there have already been reports of electricity companies having to retro fit street light cabling to allow for street side charging. Present cabling isn't adequate for the task. Much city residence is multistory, with no parking facilites, no private chargers, so streetside charging will be the only way.

Different game altogether outside the city, where there will need to be expensive upgrades to provide for mass fast charging.

No problem with electric, bring it on, but let's not pretend that it will be cheap, timely, nor that the vehicle with be as convenient to use as ice based transport. All the arm waving and bs in the world won't change that...

Reply to
chris

Unlike the long lines a gas stations when people want to fill up for a weekend trip EVs can be charged the night before when 50% of the generating and transmission capacity is idle.

The EVs can not be charged at night because the sun is not shining on the solar farm. I don't think wind generators get much wind at night, but could be wrong on that.

They may be ok on the charging if they can be charged on the weekends when many factories are closed and last all week. But you will be with out a car for most of the weekend.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I guess anyone who has been sold the idea that electric vehicles are the true faith and have paid for it, could do nothing but support the idea, but colour me skeptic. No free lunch either, and eevs will have a similar impact on the environment and ice overall. If not let's see the data...

Reply to
chris

Not nearly as much as a California resident might expect, most of the time. New England is warmed by the Gulf Stream and while the winters aren't "mild" exactly it's not like Minnesota or lots of lake-effect snow like Michigan. It's not like Donner Pass where it can snow regularly for weeks on end.

When we get snow it's usually in the context of fast-moving blitzes that move in and move out relatively rapidly. and the panels heat up and it melts off I doubt they have to actively ever do much to them. Incidentally one thing we're pretty adept at here in NE is moving snow off surfaces quickly, anything under 6" ain't shit.

The charge controller on those older models is limited to 3.3kW; at maximum power output it would charge 16 of those in the 16 bays fully in about 7-8 hours accounting for conversion loss. The packs on those first-gen plug-in hybrids gave about 50 miles range season depending.

40kW is an optimistic figure for any contiguous 8 hour stretch here, though.
Reply to
bitrex

Normal people in EVs do the same thing as normal people in ICEVs, they don't run out. The car gives you all manner of information on the state of charge and how far you can drive. My car will even direct you to a charger for any trip you enter. The worry about running out of electrons is an absurd issue to worry about and only a real twit would bring it up.

Reply to
Rick C

Please provide some links to these issues. I think what you are talking about is the metropolitan equivalent of a home owner installing a 240 volt outlet. Since the electricity has to be paid for, what you are describing must be electricity provided for free. In that case the utility won't pay for the installation so I expect it is the city.

If that is the extent of the "infrastructure" you are talking about you are making a mountain out of a molehill. So why don't we not focus on the small change and discuss significant issues?

Many people will run numbers and decide the EV charging will use X% of the total generating capacity and assume that means generation and transmission must be increased by an equal amount. I'm glad to see you aren't one of those idiots and instead are being myopic about installing some outlets.

Reply to
Rick C

You need to make up your mind as to what problem you are talking about. Are you complaining about having to increase the "HV infrastructure" to serve EVs or are you complaining about having to charge EVs during the day because that's when inexpensive solar power is most available?

I have seen many posts here from those who abhor solar power complaining that in California there is so much solar energy generated that they have to ship it out of the state by paying others to take it. Sounds to me like daytime EV charging is the low cost solution to that problem. Maybe we need to subsidize EVs more to help solve the excess solar power problem.

Reply to
Rick C

They have been talking about road mileage charging here in the uk for years. Would not have a problem with that, as it seems a much more fair system than the regressive flat fuel tax, which benefits high mileage users...

Reply to
chris

The Green Revolution is 99% politics. It's about power, and I don't mean electrical power.

Reply to
jlarkin

I didn't realize the issue of EVs was a religious matter for you.

I especially like the fact that you make a claim without evidence and they insist that I provide evidence to disprove it. Nice!

The evidence is clear. EVs are more efficient because they waste less energy in the overall supply process. EVs get about 4-5 miles per kWh which is a lower cost than ICE because it is using a lower amount of energy sources. Going forward this will continue to improve as more and more low cost renewable energy is added to the grid. You can strut and fuss all you want, but this is reality. If you really want to get the facts, sign up at teslamotorsclub.com and open a conversation. There are many people there who have tons and tons of real facts. I got tired of trying to keep up with the discussions proving EVs have less impact on the environment or that they are cheaper to operate or yadda, yadda, yadda. The evidence is overwhelming.

If you like believing what makes you feel good, fine. No one can force you to learn anything you don't want to. But don't try to spread BS please.

Reply to
Rick C

Yeah, I got hit with an EV fee when I initially registered my car. It was around $150 I think which is probably more than appropriate for me, but is around the tax they would collect from 15,000 miles of gasoline assuming 24 mpg.

It's funny that governments want you to pay for the roads through gas taxes and then they want you to pay through tolls as well. If they impose a mileage tax, are they going to remove all the tolls?

Reply to
Rick C