Aussies Love EVs ?

Hi,

well, no they don't - there are hardly any here. Hybrids are popular, with taxis and fleet vehicles.

But this guy is an engineer with bit of an attitude. Some time ago he bought an EV to see if they matched the popular hype.

Of course they do not:

Much Aussie humor in abundance. Will be incomprehensible to some .....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

But of course, they love the cheap CCP gasoline refined from cheap Iranian crude.

Ed Lee

EV-buyers are obsessive penny-pinchers or profligate over-spenders, depending on whom you ask.

And you can surely do either, depending on what vehicle you buy and how you use it.

Nobody ever bought a $100,000 car to "save money." Or a $50,000 one, for that matter.

Reply to
bitrex

Cheap? $4 a gallon, Jesus christ.

Reply to
bitrex

Cheap for the gas seller, and all the intermediate mark-up-ers.

Well, got to support your local gun-fighters (CCP/PLA) .

Ed Lee

Yeah, that riff at the beginning just after the music and logo was *literally* incomprehensible.

His analysis is based on some really unique pricing of energy. He used 0.26$AUD/kWh and 1.26$AUD/gal/liter?? He didn't say what quantity of petrol that is, but it equates to "3.6 seconds per km" for the EV and "11.3 for the petrol" with no indication of the fuel consumption rates. I don't know why he said "seconds", perhaps me meant "cents" as a hundredth of a dollar. Assuming that means he used 7.2 km per kWh or 4.5 mile/kWh which is reasonable.

So lets assume his petrol number is good. 11.3 - 3.6 = 7.7 cents/km. The claimed pay back time is 325,000 km which equates to $25,000. Wow, is the delta really that much?

The first prices on Google for the two cars are $37,000 and $26,000 or $11,000 different. Hmmm... what happened to $25,000? Must be my math.

Using a price difference of $11,000 gives 142,857 km which is very easy to reach in nearly any car made today. I expect my car to last at least twice that long if not three times. It also doesn't hurt that I get my electrons for free. :)

Reply to
Rick C

Remember he is using AUD, about 3 to 4 USD.

Reply to
Rick C

Opps, it is my math. I mixed car prices in USD with fuel prices in AUD, so $11,000US becomes $15,000AUD and so a bit under 200,000 km. Still a number easy to reach in most autos.

Reply to
Rick C

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: =======================

** He says his name and what he does - gets new cars cheap for Aussie buyers by avoiding dealerships.
** Australia went metric decades ago. The fuel would be common 92 octane unleaded.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

===========

** What other man made liquid can you buy in small quantities for less?

Mineral water ?

Reply to
Phil Allison

Safeway milk for $3.29 and FoodsCo orange juice for $4.29 (less than $4 a month ago, out of season i guess). Not man-made, but man-processed, just like gasoline.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Ed Lee wrote: ============

** Per US gallon = about 3.8 litres. Aussie gallons are 4.55 litres.

Lotta road tax on petrol, none on milk.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I said that backwards, but used it right in the math. 1 AUD is about $0.75 USD.

Reply to
Rick C

You responded to the least significant parts of my post. How about the issue of him claiming the EV costs $25,000 more than the turbo car? Even accounting for the dollar difference that doesn't sound right. I can't find numbers remotely like that on the Internet.

Whatever. There's no shortage of YouTube videos spouting all manner of misinformation.

Reply to
Rick C

So, AU$4 for 4.55L? That's really cheap. We are paying US$4 (AU$6) for 3.8L.

We have around US$.5 tax.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Ed Lee wrote: ===========

** Per US gallon.

We have 42.3 cents per litre plus 10% on the final price. Makes about 55 cents tax on every litre. Pays for all the roads & highways.

EVs here are going to pay a special purchase tax soon for avoiding that.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

$6/gallon is the price they put on gas station signs in films in the US when the city is overgrown with weeds and there are zombies roaming the streets at night, so the audience knows this is a post-apocalyptic situation

Reply to
bitrex

Note that the US and Canada also uses a different system for rating gasoline than most of the rest of the world so "regular" here is usually labelled 87 which is approximately equivalent to 91, 92 on the RON scale and most of the rest of the world just use that. The US takes an average of the RON (research octane number) and MON (motor octane number), (R + M)/2 and that's what's printed on the labels here.

The most common grades under the US definition I see at stations in my area are 87 "regular", 89 "plus", and 93 "premium", with 91 occasionally.

Reply to
bitrex

The distances in Australia can be incredibly huge, without a socket to charge an EV.

A self-charging hybrid is probably the thing to use.

Reply to
Tauno Voipio

There's no point to using the gas engine to significantly charge the externally-rechargeable pack once the charge obtained from line-charging it is depleted in most circumstances, just loses energy in the conversion process.

When the range extender in the e.g. Chevy Volt series hybrid kicks in, or you put it in battery charge-sustaining mode by selecting "Hold" with the button on the console (the range meter will then "grey out" to show you you're not using the pack), at low speed it just spins one motor as a generator to drive the other motor directly like a diesel-electric locomotive, and at high speed the engine shaft can additionally clutch into the planetary gearset directly.

It has a power flow indicator that in that circumstance shows engine power going directly to the wheels as blue, regenerative braking energy going to the pack, and when regeneration energy is available, yellow showing a combination of engine and regenerated power going to the wheels, and occasionally a blue line going from the engine to the pack if for whatever reason there's excess engine power available for a moment but that path doesn't engage very often (just to maintain minimum SoC to operate this way until it's plugged in again.)

Reply to
bitrex